KPA stock compressor settings

• What are the equivalences of the KPA’s compressor settings? It uses a terminology that is foreign to me.

I function with the following terms as far as compression is concerned: threshold, ratio, attack, release, knee, make up gain...

So in KPA's:

Intensity: ?

Attack: Attack

Squash: Ratio?

Mix: Mix (i.e. % of the signal we want to compress)

Volume: Make up gain?

Thanks guys if you could enlighten me.

G’day

• Main Manual, page 205

The Compressor is a faithful recreation of a vintage stomp compressor.

“Squash” does not change the compression ratio, as this is always infinite on vintage stomp compressors.

Squash

This gives you control over the dynamic behavior of the compression. At the center position the compressor will work as you expect. When you turn “Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the strings’ decay, resulting in less squash. When you turn it more to the right, the first phase of the strings´ decay gets squashed, and the volume sags. You will notice that the compressor recovers from squashing when you let the strings decay further - even boosting the sound a little, compared to when you hit the strings. Now, the compressor becomes noticeable!

• LOL! This reminds me of a conversation from loooongg ago.

Step-brother: what's for dinner?

Step-mother: we're having fish with a white sauce

Step-brother: what's in it?

Step-mother: we're having flounder with a white sauce

Step-brother: what's in the sauce?

Step-mother: it's a white sauce

Step-brother: what's in it?

Step-mother: it's a white sauce....

DonPetersen I think you missed his point?

• Intensity: Amount of compression

Attack: How quick the compression kicks in on the initial pick attack

Squash: What DonPetersen said

Mix: Compression (wet) against your dry uncompressed signal

Volume: Gain. May also be called Sustain

These are my guesses. But I don't care because I got me a Keeley that is just Killer with the Kemper! ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• It's a bit of a guessing game for me when I use it. I've saved several from paid rigs, assuming that the creator of them has figured it out. I mostly make sure the mix is not over 50% and it works for most things. I now use a dedicated compressor pedal though and much prefer the results.

• Much good can be said about an analog compressor in front of the digital Kemper, IMO. I consider it a must have, and I would just leave it permanently on and stuffed in with my rackmount somewhere.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Still hoping for, not necessarily expecting, a deeper compressor stomp along the lines of the Fuzz and Drive … that can approximate not necessarily copy comps with personality .. Dan Armstrong Dyna Ego Keeley etc .. I’m a fan of novel Kemper approaches on most things ..but yeah that response was oddly evasive. Anyway plenty of the classics use the same words to mean different things. Best to experiment and listen for how each control impacts the sound.

• Tone Junkie has a good video on the Kemper comp.

Indeed!

Watching it now. This is what I needed. Let's see if it clarifies.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.