Live quick settings

• The first time this happened to me I tried to delay the concert a few hours but the sound technician got a little nervous and wanted to grab me by the neck... It wasn't that big of a deal, was it? ???

Anyway, I've decided to ask you this silly question before playing with the health of others and with my neck, of course ?

Suppose you have your rigs ready for live. On the day of the concert in the sound check you realize that the general volume is higher than you had calculated and therefore some of your rigs (rigs with more volume) sound too high-pitched/shrill due to the effect of the Fletcher&Munson curve

Without time to carefully equalize, what do you think would be the fastest and most correct adjustments?

Lower definition, lower treble? Lower presence? A bit of everything?

• In this case, just use the output eq. Your tones may not the one you want but will be ok for foh.

And it’s also the engineer’s job to find a way to do a global eq.

As a “quick fix” i’d go for this answer. But add this as well. Find the high cut in the output section. Set it to 6500. Not many guitar speakers play anything above this anyway. It is only the mic placed very close to the speaker during profiling, that causes frequences above that to be audible. You don’t stand with your ears 5cm away from your guitar cab (unless you are deaf, or wish to be) and what the profile is reproducing is the sound that close.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• I think you have not explained well. It's my juggling with English, sorry.

What I'm asking is not "where" but "what" is the "quick fix" I should do: Definition? or Treble? or presence? Or high cut in eq? Or a mixture of all?

I mean, which of those parameters (or combination) would compensate for that volume increase that makes the sound higher/shrill?

To give a hint, Kim_Olesen's answer of the cutoff at 6500 is in line with what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks for your help

• if you tweaked your tones at low volumes that did not work for live volume :

low cut : 90 mininum. You can go higher.
    high cut: start to cut at 8k then bring down if needed to

global eq : push the mids, less bass, less high, less presence.

If I was you I would not mess with the definition and those kind of controls. It’s too late for that lol.

Just tweak the output and start from scratch at home.

• That's what I meant by my question. That's more or less what I did, but I wanted to know if there was another more effective alternative.

And I also ask all this because many times the treble and presence parameters make me doubt which of them to readjust for a tone that is too dark or too shrill. Maybe I should open another post about the difference between treble and presence and how each influences the sound, so as not to mix songs, and so as not to overwhelm you with my doubts ??

Thank you very much ?

• when in a previous message I wrote: :I think you haven't explained yourself well" I meant "I think I haven't explained myself well", I was referring to myself.

My English problems, sorry.

• I would be much simpler to dial in your rigs at a live volume in the first place to avoid the risk of needing to fix it later.

The problem I have is that with my band, depending on where we play, we do it at a different volume. Bars, pubs, hotels, some festivals... they are different volumes and to that add that we rarely play with a sound technician. We almost always do everything ourselves

• The problem I have is that with my band, depending on where we play, we do it at a different volume. Bars, pubs, hotels, some festivals... they are different volumes and to that add that we rarely play with a sound technician. We almost always do everything ourselves

As you are already familar with running live sounds and your own FOH system you should have no problem EQ'ing at the mixer to suit the different environments you play as you would with any other guitar amp.

• As i said, apply the high cut at 6500 and a lot of your problems will be solved. Take this from someone whe has played with no mics on the cab for 30 years.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• As you are already familar with running live sounds and your own FOH system you should have no problem EQ'ing at the mixer to suit the different environments you play as you would with any other guitar amp.

If I had no problems, I wouldn't be asking. I still have a lot to learn and I'm just looking for help and keep learning.

Greetings

• if you tweaked your tones at low volumes that did not work for live volume :

I would be much simpler to dial in your rigs at a live volume in the first place to avoid the risk of needing to fix it later.

The problem I have is that with my band, depending on where we play, we do it at a different volume. Bars, pubs, hotels, some festivals...

Don’t worry about that. What Joshua and Dave were referring to is something called Equal Loudness curves. Basically we hear low and high frequencies less well at low volume so we perceive mids as more prominent. However, once you reach around 80db things pretty much level out to the point where changes in volume make minimal difference to out perception of the tone. As long as you test your sounds on your own PA at a reasonable (gig) volume these should translate well to most venues but you may still need to perform some EQ adjustment to compensate for the specific room.

• If I had no problems, I wouldn't be asking. I still have a lot to learn and I'm just looking for help and keep learning.

Greetings

I understand that you need help but there isn't a magic bullet on the Kemper to "fix" what you are asking .

A room with a low ceiling does not need the same solution as mixing for an outdoor festival. Even a change from an relatively empty venue to a full one later in the evening will require some change. And these changes are best made at the mixer not the amp / Kemper.

The Kemper's job is to deliver great sound for an engneer to fit in to a live (or studio) mix. I feel your question and it's answer are more in the domain of "how do I mix my live band for the various venue's we play" rather than something specific to the Kemper.

• I understand that there is no magic bullet in the kemper to solve this (just like in any amplifier) but surely there are some guidelines, steps or indications that help you find the way, such as Kim_Olesen's advice. It won't be generic or a one-size-fits-all solution, but it's a good starting point for a quick fix at a time when there's no time for more. That's what I wanted to find out.

And I think it's not a "how do I mix my live band" problem because this happened when I tested my sound by myself, before testing with the rest of the band.

In any case, I appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks a lot.