BUG FIX - Verify all pedal/effects volumes work correctly

• Very strange, just checked and volume in the treble boost works as expected here.

Kemper non powered rack, latest OS.

Maybe some kind of software corruption in your unit?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Very strange, just checked and volume in the treble boost works as expected here.

I am not at my STAGE right now. But I think the problem is with the MIX. I think the VOLUME works on the MIXED signal only. So if you run a low mix value (like I always do), the volume does not change anything. The volume should be done after the mix operation.

I will have to go verify.

Thanks for responding, maybe I just had a mental breakdown. But I run into this once in a while and thought maybe other people would have similar experiences and be able to point out which effects need fixed.

• Effect volumes belong to their effects. Consequently, if the Mix of an effect is at 0% or the effect is switched off, its effect volume has no effect.

If you intend to adjust volume independent from the effect, use another volume e.g. Amp Volume or Rig Volume or the volume of an effect constantly active in that Rig.

• Effect volumes belong to their effects. Consequently, if the Mix of an effect is at 0% or the effect is switched off, its effect volume has no effect.

This is how I see the pedal react. But I do not think it should work this way.

You want to add a pedal to color the sound. Sometimes that requires a low mix. Then you need to adjust the overall volume of this stage. Or in some cases, drive the next stage harder which requires a massive increase in volume. An example would be TREBLE BOOSTER into KEMPER DRIVE for solos.

The MIX is already a volume control. By having the PEDAL VOLUME also only work on the affected signal you just have two volume controls doing the same exact function.

I am guessing there is a reason for this that I am not seeing in my use case? Or maybe a limitation of the DSP? The Kemper is so well designed I feel like this is being done in error.

• that´s not true. it´s not a bug, it´s a misunderstanding from your side. try with a wah effect and see why...

Okay lets do the DSP math....

Signal 1 : Dry

Signal 2: Wet

Mix normalized to be between 0 - 1.

Volume scaled accordingly like .5 to 1.5 to give some decrease and increase range.

What the DSP math should be:

Dry * (1 - Mix) + Wet * Mix = Sub Output * Vol = Output

What the Kemper DSP math is doing:

Dry * (1 - Mix) + Wet * (Mix * Vol) = Output

As you can see, The Mix and Volume are doing the same exact thing. The volume is just giving a marginal range boost to the Mix. You have a pre and master gain on the Mix.

So how exactly is the WAH effect any different? If you run the wah at a low mix the volume control still work as a normal volume control?

• .... By having the PEDAL VOLUME also only work on the affected signal you just have two volume controls doing the same exact function.

I don't understand, what this means. Volume Pedal controls volume corresponding to Volume Pedal Location, which could vary by Rig: You can select from: Off, Input, Pre Stack, Post Stack, Output.

• I don't understand, what this means. Volume Pedal controls volume corresponding to Volume Pedal Location, which could vary by Rig: You can select from: Off, Input, Pre Stack, Post Stack, Output.

I was trying to differentiate all of the different volume terms. I meant it to say the volume in the effect pedal/slot. Meaning the volume in the Treble Booster, EQ, Chorus, etc. since we are talking about volume and there are volume controls, it gets confusing to read :)

• Here is the full story:

The Treble Booster belongs to the red coloured category of Distortions and Boosters.

Traditionally, distortions and boosters do not feature a mix control.

The reason for this are phase cancelations and other side effects, that would occur with a mix control.

Therefore we did not feature it either.

Later, fellow users requested a mix control for this category to be able to use the morphing as a „switch“. This is why we have added a mix control for this category. Soon after, it became obvious for this purpose, that the volume control has to be effected by the mix control as well, to fully blend every aspect of the booster effect when morphing the mix control.

The essence of this is: While a mix control is the usual „intensity“ parameter for modulations, delay and reverb, it is generally not appropriate for controlling the intensity of distortions and boosters for said reasons. It‘s fine for switching by Morphing still.

The Treble Booster is a special beast in this regard, as its intensity can still be controlled appropriately by the mix control, without producing phase cancelations etc.

The best way to adjust the Treble Booster‘s intensity however is to control it by its primary „Tone“ control, that is - behind the curtain - a mix control as well, and thus produces the same sonic result.

• Here is the full story:

Thank you for clearing that up!

The inclusion of MIX controls all throughout the signal chain really opens up the creation of non standard tones and sets the Kemper apart from other devices of the era. It gives you the chance to make a dual tone sound without the need for a second profile. So it is always the first thing I start tweaking.

You can slowly dial things in and hear the changes/differences in the tone. Which for me is really key.

I think I mostly notice it on the Treble Booster because I love how the TB brings up the high frequencies post amplifier. It does not work with every profile though. So I like to A/B it on/off to compare. But you always have a louder signal when it is ON. So it becomes hard to compare if it is really helping the tone or just sounds better because it is louder. Mostly, because my hearing is pretty bad.

• Thank you for clearing that up!

I think I mostly notice it on the Treble Booster because I love how the TB brings up the high frequencies post amplifier. It does not work with every profile though. So I like to A/B it on/off to compare. But you always have a louder signal when it is ON. So it becomes hard to compare if it is really helping the tone or just sounds better because it is louder. Mostly, because my hearing is pretty bad.

You are perfectly set up for an A/B comparison, when you leave the Mix control to max and untouched.

Adjust the intensity of the Treble Booster by "Tone" and change Volume to compensate, if required.

A/B by switching the effect on and off.

That's how it's done in the analog world since decades.

CK