Adding a Kemper Kone to My Powered PA Wedge

• I've ordered a Kemper Kone speaker and I plan to use it in a 75 watt Powered PA, an oversized Wedge. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.

Its is just for the "amp-in-room" feeling, I'll also plug into my the PA that the whole band plugs into. That's what the audience hears.

Anyone else try using the Kone in a PA as opposed to a guitar cabinet? What was your experience?

• I don't know that the amp would color the sound as much as the PA style enclosure. The amp should provide fairly clean power.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I don't know that the amp would color the sound as much as the PA style enclosure. The amp should provide fairly clean power.

Most comercial PAs have class D amps which are fairly noble in frequency but start sounding harsh at high volume. So far you are not pushing it, the amp will be "fine" I guess. I am more worried about the plasticky dry sound you will get because of the enclosure, a fried of mine had V30s in these cheapo PA enclosures and they sounded so trebly we forbid him have them on practice sessions.

The answer is 42

• Its a 20 year old oversized Crate wedge made out of decent wood. but I do see your point.

I jammed with the Kone last night. To your point, if I went about 75% volume on the wedge power I would get an occasional crackle.

Our space isn't huge and typically we all plug right into my 8 channel PA. Last night I used both, the PA and the Kone (Inside a powered PA monitor). Together they sounded great but regardless of my tweaking, the Kone sounded muffled and underwater when I tried to use it alone. I went through all the paces on page 8 of the output section. I also tried speaker imprints to much the same effect.

To be clear about my connections, I'm using the left main XLR output and connecting to the PA. And the Kone, I'm connecting via the monitor output.

Today I'll be trying to work through this, but it leads me to my question. Kabinet users, is the cabinet, in your opinion, good enough to take just your Kemper head and Kabinet to a garage jam and use it like an amp?

I also have a couple other options, I could put the Kone in one my regular cabs and use my EVH 5150III head through the effects loop. Or purchase 44 magnum or something similar and use that with the cab.

• I’ve been forced to use my Kabinet as the only source in a live setting. The PA was ancient, the channel I was routed to didn’t work and there was no time to troubleshoot.

I turned up and it wasn’t a problem. The amp (200 watt IcePower module) wasn’t breaking a sweat.

This was outdoors as well. Small crowd, but outdoors nonetheless.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Today I'll be trying to work through this, but it leads me to my question. Kabinet users, is the cabinet, in your opinion, good enough to take just your Kemper head and Kabinet to a garage jam and use it like an amp?

Absolutely.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The Kabinet or Kone are definitely good enough tor a garage jam. I use the Kemper with Kone for many diferent puropses and it never let me down.

If it sounds bad, there must be an error somewhere in the signal chain (maybe the power amp is not linear) or the profile is not good.

But the sound you can get with the Kabinet or Kone is very good. So good that you need a quite good tube amp to sound equal or better.

I guess since the Kone is a guitar speaker it also has to be put in a guitar cabinet to sound as it should. I can't imagine that a Kone in a wedge would sound good... Could you find a Kemper Kabinet to compare the sound? then you could be suer...

never thought that I would like the Kemper that much...! 8|

• I changed some Kemper EQ settings and dialed back the power on the PA and everything came into focus. Now if I need more volume I use the monitor adjustment in the output section.

I've jammed with it a couple times over the weekend. It sounds great and does what I need it to do.

• I changed some Kemper EQ settings and dialed back the power on the PA and everything came into focus. Now if I need more volume I use the monitor adjustment in the output section.

I've jammed with it a couple times over the weekend. It sounds great and does what I need it to do.

Great news!