Since the Kemper drive is fantastic, how about a Kemper distortion?

• Many years ago the kemper only had the green scream for that kind of drive. And it’s really really good. But the Kemper drive took things to a new level. The concept is brilliant. One ring to rule them all….

So i’d love one distortion pedal as versatile as the drive.

A good distortion before a clean amp , is just a different beast, than a distortion driving an already driven amp.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Edited once, last by Kim_Olesen ().

• it would be nice to see but I've always heard the old, "why wouldn't you just use a profile for distortion?" Or, "the rat and ocd cover that already."

I stand by the notion that a distortion pedal into a clean or mostly clean amp/profile is a different vibe of its own. I will forever die on that hill and re-watch Tosin Abasi's rig rundowns where he switched from the Axeii to a Friedman be-od into a Morgan amp.

• Maybe I got used to it, but I still think Kemper got it right first time with Green Scream. It certainly does what I am looking for anyway.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Maybe I got used to it, but I still think Kemper got it right first time with Green Scream. It certainly does what I am looking for anyway.

The green scream is REALLY good. A bit different and less versatile than Kemper drive. But great in it’s own right.

Kemper drive is more TS10 like. Green Scream more like the classic TS.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• I am not sure what could be done to be better than the Kemper Drive. But I would also guess that is why I am not working at Kemper or making this stuff myself. Any additions made for higher gain stuff would be awesome. Because you know they would do it right and give us a ton of flexibility.

And it seems like that is one of the hard to hit tones for new users. Younger users may struggle dialing in tones because they do not have 20 years practice with tube amps and pedals.

Just a thought.

• Am I the only to not like the drives in the kemper?

They don’t act as regular drive pedal to me…

don’t know how to say it but they don’t « blend » with the amp profile like a pedal and a tube amp, to my ears it sound more like a « layer » of drive on the tone.

Any one think the same?

• Many years ago the kemper only had the green scream for that kind of drive. And it’s really really good. But the Kemper drive took things to a new level. The concept is brilliant. One ring to rule them all….

So i’d love one distortion pedal as versatile as the drive.

A good distortion before a clean amp , is just a different beast, than a distortion driving an already driven amp.

Late to the party, but some comments from me:

The Kemper Drive and Kemper Fuzz were possible as "One rule them all" models, because the several devices in Focus have a common architecture.

This is not the case for distortion pedals that are not part of the family of Overdrives or Fuzz.

Therefor I don't see a way to make a generic model, unfortunately.

• The green scream is REALLY good. A bit different and less versatile than Kemper drive. But great in it’s own right.

Kemper drive is more TS10 like. Green Scream more like the classic TS.

You can directly compare the Green Scream and an appropriate preset of the Kemper Drive.

You might find that there is no audible difference.

At the same settings, the output level might differ by a fraction of a dB.

• Really? I thought the Green Scream was modeled after the Maxon OD808 which is basically a TS10.

The differences between the TS and the OD are absolutely neglectable , while the TS9 and TS10 have modified resistors on the output, resulting in a slightly emphasized high end.

The Maxon is not basically a TS10.

Do you have different sources of information?

• Am I the only to not like the drives in the kemper?

They don’t act as regular drive pedal to me…

don’t know how to say it but they don’t « blend » with the amp profile like a pedal and a tube amp, to my ears it sound more like a « layer » of drive on the tone.

Any one think the same?

We have played our overdrives and distortions for months and compared it to the analog counterparts, to check the authenticity.

Have you made a comparison too?

• We have played our overdrives and distortions for months and compared it to the analog counterparts, to check the authenticity.

Have you made a comparison too?

hi and thanks for the answer.

Never made any comparison, but it sounds like this to my ears. More like a layer on amp distortion.

And when I use them, even if I don’t push the gain I quickly get some kind of « artifacts » when the notes sustain. Happened with a lot of profiles (made by top tier guys like Bert etc). Some kind of high frequencies that sound more like noise than distortion.

• hi and thanks for the answer.

Never made any comparison, but it sounds like this to my ears. More like a layer on amp distortion.

And when I use them, even if I don’t push the gain I quickly get some kind of « artifacts » when the notes sustain. Happened with a lot of profiles (made by top tier guys like Bert etc). Some kind of high frequencies that sound more like noise than distortion.

I can assure you that you would get equal results with an equivalent analog setup.

• I can assure you that you would get equal results with an equivalent analog setup.

And I have assured you in the past that you don't ;)

Just as a reminder (and for those who haven't watched):

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.