Kemper backup solution

• Hi guys, I'd like to have a small backup/rehearsal grab n go unit to complement my stage ...

I used to have a Hx stomp with 2 pedals that did the trick (one morph, one wah) when I had a powerrack.

After getting the stage I sold the rack so now look for a new "high end" backup ... tried the ampero one day but it felt more like a home solution and not really gig worthy. No idea why I felt that, it was not the case with the stomp. The stomp sounded great but not kemper league great ...

Also I want it to have to expression pedal capabilities to keep the morph and wah going as I have with the kemper.

I prefer a 220V EU plug to a seperate powerunit (but not on top of the list)

Is the FM3 my only option ? Neural to expensive and not to keen about it either due to all the things that I read about it since it launch. However it's probably a great device.

Should I wait for a new device to show up ? Something like a new Atomic amplifier 6 or so ?

Hit me up ! what would you do ?

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

Edited once, last by Roeffel ().

• I lucky I never had any problems with any of my previous gear, but I always have a tubeman mkII and a Palmer pdi09 in case things go wrong.

It pretty simple and get the job done.

But if I could afford it I would buy a used fractal ax8. Same thing as the stage.

• I have used Kemper since 2014, never needed a backup! my other gear stays at home!

I know but I feel that I just need a 2nd unit that does almost the same :)

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I know but I feel that I just need a 2nd unit that does almost the same :)

It all depends on how many sounds you need and how close the replacement unit needs to be to the Kemper.
    If money dosn't matter, buy a 2nd Kemper and you will have a 100% replacement. Or a Fractal-FM3 or NC-QuadCortext, everything else is not equal.

Be the force with you ;)

• If you have the money then try a Fractal. You can always sell it and get the 2nd Kemper. As much as I love the Kemper, I would be tempted to try out the Fractal since having the Kemper as number 1 will allow me to have some patience with the Fractal. I wouldn't waste money on any other modeling options.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hmm interesting as I think there is quite a difference between a backup and a simpler alternative to rehearse with.

I have a sansamp that I take to gigs purely for emergency, just to get me through a gig. I have a valve amp at home if my Kemper was down for prolonged period.

The problem is, you want something that sounds as good as the Kemper but smaller and cheaper. I think HX stomp ( given it uses sounds from the Helix) should be good enough with tweaking, otherwise you are in big cost territory ( FM3, Quad etc.).

Boss GT1000 and Mooer get reasonable comments as well but not sure on their real sound quality...

• When it comes down to core sounds I have found nothing better sounding than the Hotone Britwind, which features a Vox plus a Marshall Plexi with boost options and a reverb. PLUS an in-built 75W poweramp to drive a cab,

This is a great sounding little box which is not only convenient but also really fun to play (and I take it to rehearsals quite often, playing in more than one band).

Because of its send/return options you could also bypass the preamp section and you’re the poweramp section for a non-powered Kemper device.

https://www.thomann.de/de/hoto…VVA9JB-TXaBBoCWXQQAvD_BwE

• When it comes down to core sounds I have found nothing better sounding than the Hotone Britwind, which features a Vox plus a Marshall Plexi with boost options and a reverb. PLUS an in-built 75W poweramp to drive a cab,

This is a great sounding little box which is not only convenient but also really fun to play (and I take it to rehearsals quite often, playing in more than one band).

Because of its send/return options you could also bypass the preamp section and you’re the poweramp section for a non-powered Kemper device.

https://www.thomann.de/de/hoto…VVA9JB-TXaBBoCWXQQAvD_BwE

Oh that looks cool!!!

• Looks cool indeed however only 75w at 4 ohm !

Raf

Edited once, last by Roeffel ().