Using Kemper during rehearsal (gigs)

• Got a situation over here:

Recently (joined) a new band. And I'd like to start using the Kemper (unpowered toaster) for rehearsals. (And eventually for gigs as well)

Problem is that I'm in doubt, should I either,

- Connect it to a PA/mixer (That's already available in the rehearsal space) Our singer is also using the mixer, along with the (2) active HK speakers/monitors that are in that room. So I'm not even sure If I can connect the Kemper to it as well...?

Mixer/PA is this one: (Mackie ProFx16)

- Or would it be better if I just buy something like the Kemper Kone/Kabinet, to get that 'amp in the room' sound, easy of use etc?

• Hi, MadMike.

I'd start with the simplest approach and connect the Profiler Main Outputs to the Mixer. Try that and see how it goes.

If you want to try the Kabinet, note: you'll need a PowerKab.

• You can use the Powered Kabinet alone on stage or when sending your Mains to the PA, and even then you can use the Kab as a monitor. So, it's a 3-in-1 solution.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I always try and use the studio’s PA if possible. But if the PA isn’t good enough the room usually has a Marshall 4x12 cab or something so I can plug my Power Head into that and get by.

With an unpowered Kemper I would try the studio PA. If it doesn’t work for you then, to avoid wasting the rehearsal that night I would plug into the FX return on whatever amp is in the room just to get by. Then for future use I would try and decide whether you want/need the “amp in the room” sound or prefer the full Studio profile tone. I personally prefer the studio profile over traditional cabs but that’s just personal tase so you need to decide what works best for you. Try and think ahead to how you intend to use it on stage at gigs. If you are going to need an on stage monitor then you want to buy something that will work for your rehearsals and live use. As I have a powered toaster, I went for the passive Kabinet as it can be used in either imprint (amp in room) or full range mode.

• Thank you all for helping me out with all of this!

Since I don't have any gigging experiences what so ever, I'll get 'straight' to the point:

"What would be wise to invest in, using my unpowered Kemper toaster to play gigs/during rehearsals?"

Do (all) venues usually have PA monitors available to get the Kemper (along with the rest of the band) to sound through? Probably not going with in-ear monitoring just yet. (Do have a bit of experience with them)

So would I need an extra (active) monitor to properly hear myself on stage?

Is it really just that simple to plug the Kemper in the PA/FOH, and be done with it? (Bringing a monitor as backup or something like that?)

• Mike,

Do you sing too? In which case, are you expecting to have a vocal monitor?

Does the band have a PA?

What would be wise to invest in, using my unpowered Kemper toaster to play gigs/during rehearsals?

Since you are used to hearing your guitar through the PROFILER and KRK Rockets, I'd stick with playing through the PA at rehearsals. If you switch to a conventional cabinet or POWER Kabinet, you'll have to get used to that amp in the room sound. There's nothing wrong with that, but it may be an adjustment and a distraction.

Do (all) venues usually have PA monitors available to get the Kemper (along with the rest of the band) to sound through?

So would I need an extra (active) monitor to properly hear myself on stage?

Are you talking bar gigs or?

It's hard to generalize without more information.

It's best to check with the venue and find out for sure.

Is it really just that simple to plug the Kemper in the PA/FOH, and be done with it? (Bringing a monitor as backup or something like that?)

Since you're using studio monitors now, and you haven't mentioned wanting/needing the tone and experience of playing through a guitar cabinet, then, yes - it could be just that simple.

• I'd suggest some form of monitor for which you would have direct control. Your rig will sound different through different monitors and leave you at the mercy of the sound engineer and how they have your monitor powered and EQ'd. If you prefer a conventional amp behind you stage set-up, the Kemper Power Kab is the obvious choice. Personally, I prefer my guitar monitors in front of me. After experimenting with different set-ups, I currently use a pair of the 8" ISP powered monitors. They're small, lightweight, and really loud. I also own a pair of 12" Friedmans, and a pair of QSC 12's. My ear far prefers the ISP's. Don't let the small size and lower power rating fool you. The sound quality is incredible and they cut through the mix on the loudest of stages.

• I don't sing. (Might be doing some backup vocals in the future)

Not sure if we have/own a PA system. (Maybe the singer has one, but I'd have to check)

We only had one rehearsal so far, but I'd just like to be prepared, (especially for rehearsals momentarily) so I know I can get the Kemper to work when I'll bring it along. (Really dislike, having to play through a solid state amp, with all my pedals in front of the amp instead of going through an effects loop...)

If there will be any gigs, they'll be in bars/small venues for the time being.

• Depending on budget I'd recommend buying a poweramp like the Ritter Camplifier SHT (that fits perfectly in the back of your toaster) .

That way you can use whatever guitar cabinet is standing around. Either use one that you already have or that's available in the rehearsal room or buy a Kabinet or use a cabinet that the venue can provide as backline.

If you just rehearse and only play some few gigs, you might just be OK with buying a powered Kabinet and use that.

But with the power amp you are much more flexible by using whatever guitar cab that is available.

That way you are never dependent in the PA and always have a suitable monitor for you.

You can plug into a PA and a poweramp + cabinet at the same time with different volumes on each.

• If there will be any gigs, they'll be in bars/small venues for the time being.

Where I’m from bars rarely (f ever) have their own PA so you will need to bring your own or hire a sound engineer with PA. Therefore, I would definitely make sure you have your own speaker which will work as an onstage monitor at the very least but also be loud enough to fill the room when there is only a small “vocal PA” available.

As you are used to studio monitors with Studio Profiles I would stick with powered FRFR monitors or the powered Kabinet. Depending on your budget though, I would add a separate power amp as tenderboy suggested if able as this will give you maximum flexibility.

• As said, I would make sure you have some personal monitor capability regardless of the PA situation.

You have a few options, notably:

1) Powered Kabinet ( which are great)

2) Powered FRFR

3) A power amp and speaker e.g. matrix or Seymour 170 or ritter and any unpowered speaker

• Thinking about just getting either a:

- Powered toaster (secondhand, more expensive, but with an build in power-amp)

- Or just a single power-amp, so I can connect my unpowered toaster with an guitar cabinet. (cheaper option)

In case there's no PA available at a gig. (But I probably have to purchase a (4x12) cabinet for those cases?) Since not every venue/bar have a backline.

And buy a (cheap) monitor later on for (stage) reference etc.

*Sorry for all the questions guys, it's just that I'm a leak, when it comes to using the Kemper outside my cozy bedroom... :/

• For gigging, its difficult to beat the powered toaster/rack in my opinion, because you then have options. I don't use my Kemper at home, its purely for gigging and I love my powered rack and remote.

PA - just to be clear, every gig you will need a PA and I would strongly recommend that every instrument is miked up ( so not just a vocal PA) and not rely on backline. 4x12's although big are very directional and not ideal Why? For control of the sound.

In the early days you'll need to hire one but eventually buy one because as mentioned only certain venues ( usually the high calibre ones which have established bands) will have an in house rig.

• Bought a powered toaster. ? (Came loaded with some extra good sounding profiles) ?

Was planning on selling my unpowered one, but I might just keep it for home use. And use the powered one for band stuff. ? (Loading them both up with the same profiles/performances etc.)

• Hey Mike.

I started with an unpowered Toaster and later got a PowerRack. I fully intended to sell the unpowered Toaster, but it's still here. One for home and one for the road.

Get one PROFILER set up with the profiles and performances you want (let's call it Number 1), Then, make sure they are both running the same operating system. Then on Number 1 do a back to a USB key. Restore from the USB Key to the other PROFILER.

• Hi, MadMike

Connect the PROFILER Main Output(s). If you're running mono, set OUTPUT Options, Master Output Source to Master Mono.

Then you need connect only one of the Master Outputs - Left or Right, it doesn't matter which.

to LINE IN, not MIC or not INSERT.

If you're running stereo (unlikely) you can use channel 9/10. If you're running stereo, set OUTPUT Options, Master Output Source to Master Stereo.

• I don't sing. (Might be doing some backup vocals in the future)

Not sure if we have/own a PA system. (Maybe the singer has one, but I'd have to check)

The singer (vocalist) should have the PA. The other band members bring in the rest; guitars, bass, cabs, drums. their mics and cables. A good vocalist will have a PA and mic that suits them well, or mediocre singer like David Lee Roth who has a rich father to buy the band one -- the only reason EVH hired DLR. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.