Reamping with Kemper on an AXE I/O (without S/PDIF) - I just can't get it to work

• Disclaimer: I have watched a lot of Youtube videos and read the manual. But I think I'm too much a newbie so I will need some handholding.

Equipment: Kemper Stage, Axe I/O, Ableton Live, Yamaha HS7 Monitors

Problem: I just can't figure out how to re-amp the Kemper in Ableton. This is my very first time trying reamping (so please be patient and kind with me).

I have an Axe I/O with 2 Inputs and 6 Outputs:

Situation: I am currently running the Axe I/O Mic/Line In into the Kemper Monitor Output and the Axe I/O Line Out 1/L and Line Out 2/R into my Yamaha monitors. I tried running Kemper Return Input into Line Out 3 and Kemper Send into Axe I/O Input 1 - setting Send to Git Studio and Return to Reamp on the Kemper. What I also tried was the Axe I/O reamping, connecting the Kemper Input into Axe I/O Amp Out and guitar into Axe I/O input 1. None of it worked for me (but that might be due to my DAW incompetence).

Desired Outcomes:

- record DI through Kemper

- use existing DI tracks and apply different Kemper sounds (probably the most important)

- any other best practices (like recording dry (DI) and wet at the same time)

Questions:

- how can I achieve the Desired Outcomes?

- what scenarios exist - given that Axe I/O has its own built-in reamp functionality?

- what is the recommended wiring?

- how do I set input and output in Ableton? Or more specifically - how do I even know which Ableton output channel refers to which socket on the Axe I/O?

Thanks so much for your help. And once again, apologies if some of those questions are super basic but I'm really lost in a jungle of manuals and Youtube videos.

• just plug your guitar into Kemper Input on front, set output settings to Git DI on Kemper on L side and mono out Kemper on right side

of Kemper

plug the outputs of the Kemper into your ax i/o Line in 1 and 2

open your ableton and record one track the DI signal from Kemper

other track the main mono signal from Kemper

you have to set the inputs for the Tracks in ableton to in 1 of the Axe

and the other to in 2

now you have recorded 1 DI Signal for reamp

and one mono. with the chosen sound of the Kemper

when you want to reamp choose one output from the axe in ableton to sent out the DI track you have recorded

then plug the chosen out of the axe to the input of the kemper and choose other sounds

which then you can record again to another track

• just plug your guitar into Kemper Input on front, set output settings to Git DI on Kemper on L side and mono out Kemper on right side

of Kemper

already failed at this step. In output settings, i can choose between main, monitor, send 1 and SPDIF. I can't seem to choose between L and R.

• As you said, I plugged the guitar into input and the monitor outputs R and L into Line inputs of the Axe I/O.

However, in the output settings on the Kemper, i cannot make separate choices for the L and R monitor outputs:

Or am I misunderstanding something?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

heres a tutorial

• I think we are kinda talking past each other :) I know how to change outputs for different output sources. I think here's the problem in understanding:

set output settings to Git DI on Kemper on L side and mono out Kemper on right side

Right now, I have two cables plugged into the outputs Monitor R and Monitor L (the Kemper Stage has two monitor outputs, other than the rack and toaster). Hence, I can only set one setting to both cables (i.e. Monitor Output to Git Studio). In the video you posted, at 2:43 it says to use both the Main Output and Direct Output. In other words, when you say L side and R side settings, are you assuming that one cable is going through the Direct Output and the other is going through a Monitor or Main output? Or were you actually saying that both should come from the Monitor Output R and L?

• Thanks so much everyone. I got it to work, following these steps:

Record:

1. Play in DI signal and Mono:
      1. Input - Guitar
      2. Plug out one Cable from Main and keep the other one connected to Line-in 1
      3. Connect Send 1 to Line-in 2
      4. In Output Settings: Set Main to Master Mono
      5. In Output Settings: Set Send to Git Studio
      6. In Ableton: Create two audio tracks
        1. Wet: Input: 1; Output: 1/2
        2. Dry: Input: 2; Output: 1/2
      7. Record both simultaneously and mute Dry Signal

Reamp:

1. Reamp in Ableton
      1. Change cable from Input to Return
      2. Change cable from Guitar to Line Out 3
      3. In Input Settings: Set Input Source to Return 1 Input Reamp