Kemper Profiler 600 poweramp module repair

• Has anyone had the poweramp module repaired in the states. Im getting prices of $665 just for the poweramp module.

Seems like when its out of warranty kemper USA doesnt give a rats ass and have no idea what the parts are warranted for. Getting more emails from Germany.

• Has anyone had the poweramp module repaired in the states. Im getting prices of $665 just for the poweramp module.

Seems like when its out of warranty kemper USA doesnt give a rats ass and have no idea what the parts are warranted for. Getting more emails from Germany.

The US is big so I don't know if that helps.

The Kemper PowerAmp is like many other CLASS D amplifiers.

Nothing special.

Most components that fail over time are.

1. Fuse

2. Electrolytic capacitor

3. Power Mosfet Transistor

4. Switching regulator

None of it is really expensive, the working time makes the price and the more experienced the repairman, the faster it goes.

Try to find a repair service near you.

I highly recommend M. Weiss in Milford, CT.

Phone +1 860-354-4225

https://www.ampexperts.com/index.htm

Be the force with you ;)

• The power amp module is $665 just for the part. At this point I would rather get the duncan powerstage with a 3 year warranty.

Kemper USA can not even tell me how long the parts are under warranty. Once your kemper is out of warranty it seems its 90 days on replacement parts. Funny thing is I only played in my living room with the kemper no live settings.

• Since it's out of warranty, why not open it up and located the model number of the Class D module. Am convinced it is an ICEPOWER module from Bang Olusfen. If you contact B&O or a distributor after you have identified the part number, they may likely have a drop-in replacement where the footprint and external connections should work.

• First , I sympathize. A $665 bill is a slap in the face.

If it’s out of warranty, what can you expect though?

As I recall, it is an IcePower unit. Someone here likely knows the model but I can tell you that it isn’t available in the States. To my knowledge, Parts Express is the only authorized dealer for IcePower in the United States and they only stock a limited range.

It’s *really* odd for a Class D amp to simply die.

Are you certain that’s the culprit?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Go for a SD Powerstage or similar. You might even like it better. $900 is getting close to the 50% value mark and is not worth it, IMO.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• GRIM68, I also suggest once you know the ICEPOWER part number, if it is no longer manufactured, a suitable replacement may work from the link paults suggested. You will need to verify if the original unit also included the power module. I believe it may have, but verify. Best regards

• The repair shop confirmed it. Power module is bad. $900 to repair the unit.

Unless board traces have burned, that's an outrageous price to repair a switchmode amp, Most likey the failures as Yoda Guitar suggested in order are the output FETs/Transistors, Class D driver IC or passives (caps,diodes). Out of the many switchmode supplies and power amps repaired over the years, I have never found any magnetics (transformers, coils) failed. Another issue to consider is that some parts may now be obsolete or have a huge back order.

• The new power amp modules are warrantied for another 3 years. But must be installed by a technician.

Valerie, whom you spoke with on the phone, doesn’t handle repairs, know prices or warranty lengths. She handles the back office work and accounting. She directed you to an alternate repair shop, who are great.

As it is out of warranty, any shop can work on it, as there is no warranty to void.

As per the price, it wouldn’t be different if you purchased it from us directly, but we don’t sell power amp modules to end users.

It might be worth getting a second opinion anyway. It is rare we see these modules fail, unless they are totally blown up. Could be one of the two daughter boards.

• If you can get it fixed as per the recommendations from the other posters, then that could be the best solution. The SD Powerstage 700 is an excellent unit and is stereo to boot. Makes a great alternative.

• I sent emails and no one answers questions at Kemper USA. Then you bitch on a board and someone writes back,

With respect you bitch about it in public straight out of the gate with "doesn't give a rats ass...."

You then get a response...which wasn't the first one given since you knew the module's price......and then take another swing at them later on. The person who did respond has posted here all of 18 times. In 10 years.

I get that you're upset and you have every right to be. No one wants to hear that sort of repair bill.

Would you hurry to help someone who gave you such instant and continuing ridicule?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I emailed 3 locations. Germany was responding told to email sales usa, no response i called told to email parts usa.

This the email. my question about parts was never answered till i bitched on this board.

Brian,

All repair shops mark up prices. Power Amps are not cheap.

If you want a second opinion, you can take the unit to another repair technician as it is out of warranty.

Rosen Sound has repaired our products before.

• One important aspect: The power amp section of the PROFILER includes the power amp module plus two supporting boards. The fact, that the SPEAKER OUT doesn't provide any juice, doesn't tell, what's broken. Repair prices could vary quite a bit.