Should I record in stereo? How do I know if certain profiles are meant to be recorded in stereo?

• I have always recorded mono. I just recently connected my Kemper in Stereo and notice things sound wider. So, how does one know if a profile should be played in stereo vs mono?

Do most of you record in stereo?

• All profiles are mono.

Stereo only happens if you add a stereo effect to one of the FX blocks after the Stack section. If you are using a Reverb for example that will create a stereo effect. However, unless it is a special effect reverb you may be better recording dry and adding reverb in the DAW so your basic profile would still be mono.

• I second this. I do treat stereo modulation effects differently and often actually record those if I use them.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I always record in stereo because no one listens to AM Radio music anymore. ;)

I know you are joking, but there is no need to record a mono signal in stereo. At best you are only wasting CPU cycles.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• ... there is no need to record a mono signal in stereo. At best you are only wasting CPU cycles.

I always record stereo because I hate to waste precious "CPU cycles" in my brain each and every time I want to use stereo effects. If I use (post-stack) stereo effects I know I have them recorded. If I don't, I can easily split the stereo track to 2 mono tracks in my DAW ... or just mix it into a mono group.

• Like lightbox said. You can record a single stereo track for lead guitar sound but keep the effects close to center. It will fatten up the sound while sounding mono in the mix against the wider stereo rhythm guitar/ or other instruments that are panned out. Or you can record a separate left track and a right track for stereo and delete or mute one track for a mono signal, and/or record a DI track with those tracks and reamp one of the channels. You have quite a few options to try.

MuddySludge has the best advice -- go with what sounds good to you.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I always record stereo because I hate to waste precious "CPU cycles" in my brain each and every time I want to use stereo effects. If I use (post-stack) stereo effects I know I have them recorded. If I don't, I can easily split the stereo track to 2 mono tracks in my DAW ... or just mix it into a mono group.

That works too :). My DAW is not the latest so I have more CPU cycles in my brain than in my DAW. In cubase if I need stereo effects as inserts on a mono track (which is very rare. I use sends for that) I just drag the mono file onto a stereo track.

• If you want to have the most flexibility when mixing, then i suggest you record in stereo. Sometimes when you mix, you want the guitar to sit in a narrow space of the stereo picture. Then just use one of the stereo channels and do that. Other times you want the wide stereo delays/reverbs and choruses. Then use both channels. There is no rule.

So record in stereo, decide when you mix. You can’t get the stereo back if you only record one channel. Unless you use effects in your DAW ofcourse.

No need to worry about cpu cycles in this day and age. If your computer dies from the difference of playing a stereo versus a mono track, your computer is 15 years into it’s retirement age.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• If you want to have the most flexibility when mixing, then i suggest you record in stereo. Sometimes when you mix, you want the guitar to sit in a narrow space of the stereo picture. Then just use one of the stereo channels and do that. Other times you want the wide stereo delays/reverbs and choruses. Then use both channels. There is no rule.

So record in stereo, decide when you mix. You can’t get the stereo back if you only record one channel. Unless you use effects in your DAW ofcourse.

No need to worry about cpu cycles in this day and age. If your computer dies from the difference of playing a stereo versus a mono track, your computer is 15 years into it’s retirement age.

Interesting approach. Do you also record vocals etc. on stereo tracks? Just curious to hear what people are doing in general. From the Kemper if I don't have any post stack effects I just record mono (since both channels are identical anyway). But it seems the general recommendation is to record both channels as stereo.

I do however max out my cpu in heavy mixes from time to time. Running soothe with oversampling etc. is quite heavy on the cpu for me. So it's nice to know that I don't waste cycles processing two identical tracks in stereo. But definitely to each his own. Whatever works is good.

• A few similar perspectives as well here:

Stereo vs. Mono

• From the Kemper if I don't have any post stack effects I just record mono (since both channels are identical anyway). But it seems the general recommendation is to record both channels as stereo.

It's fine if you have 100% made up your mind that you don't want any stereo effects in the recording stage. But if you run a studio and have clients who keep experimenting and trying, it has proven to be safer to just record the main outputs in stereo (Master Stereo). There's much less chance the guitarist surprises you all of a sudden with a stereo effect while you're recording on a mono track.

That's what I meant with "CPU cycles in my brain". It can be hard to keep asking and following what the guitarist is going to do. I much rather stay on the safe side and let him do whatever he wants without distraction.

Do you also record vocals etc. on stereo tracks?

Personally I usually record single vocals on a mono track because I typically use 1 microphone through a bit of EQ and sometimes light compression. Time based effects like delay/reverb I typically just add to the talent's monitoring (if he/she asks for it) but don't record it.

Backing vocals / choirs can be a different story though, always depends. :)

• I have always recorded mono. I just recently connected my Kemper in Stereo and notice things sound wider. So, how does one know if a profile should be played in stereo vs mono?

Do most of you record in stereo?

If it sounds great go with it. No rules just opinions.

MuddySludge nailed it. It's a matter of perspective.. What do you hear vs what do you want to hear? Do it both ways and compare the two. If you want to get proficient at recording you have to train your ears. Recording is not about playing, it's about listening to what was played.

Personally, I have found that anything with stereo outputs sounds better (to me) recorded in stereo.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Interesting approach. Do you also record vocals etc. on stereo tracks? Just curious to hear what people are doing in general. From the Kemper if I don't have any post stack effects I just record mono (since both channels are identical anyway). But it seems the general recommendation is to record both channels as stereo.

I do however max out my cpu in heavy mixes from time to time. Running soothe with oversampling etc. is quite heavy on the cpu for me. So it's nice to know that I don't waste cycles processing two identical tracks in stereo. But definitely to each his own. Whatever works is good.

No i don’t record any sources that are inherintly mono in stereo.

But guitar is a different matter. Sometimes it’s to have it real narrow. Like an amp with a mic in front of it. But other times you have that huge U2 stereo delay thing going, and then you do not want mono. And my point is, if a guitarist suddenly switch to one of these while you are recording only one channel, he is going to have your head afterwards.

Cpu cycles. Yes stereo uses more BUT playing back audio is extremely light on the cpu. Any modern cpu can play back hundreds of raw stereo audiotracks at the time. Your harddisc will be the bottleneck. Now if you insist on using cpu heavy plugins reverb on each and every of these tracks, yes you will run i to problems, but you probably would in mono too.

Even on my 2012 mac mini i do not need to concern myself with saving on stereo/mono. And that is if i run the waves ssl channel strip on each and ecery track. It has a core2duo 4 core cpu at 2,6ghz each. That is an ancient processor by todays standard.

• Absolutely Kim. Doesn't matter at this point but I wasn't talking about just playing back stereo tracks. Sorry if it appeared like that.

• Absolutely Kim. Doesn't matter at this point but I wasn't talking about just playing back stereo tracks. Sorry if it appeared like that.

Absolutely no need to be sorry. We all get wiser by debate. I’ve seen tricks and tips here that i have been sceptical against, but then tried and embraced.