Kemper: better with frfr or through power amp and speaker

• I have been ignoring the idea of using a full range speaker, loving the sound of my 1x 12. Lately I have been doing a lot of recording and using my studio monitors. When I went back to my 1x12, it sounded good but I did miss the detail of the studio monitors. I am thinking a full range speaker and dialing my tones in with that will be more like what the FOH is sending. I know that's been said here a lot. I have been on a quest to have my monitor sound closest to what the audience is getting so I'm thinking of trying a full range speaker and using the cab sims instead of cab driver/cabinet. Using my studio monitors helped persuade me.

If you've not used FRFR live, it is a different experience. It seems more dynamic but more sterile as well.

The Kabinet attempts ( and in my opinion succeeds) to get a balance between the two.

• This is just 1 data point from a relatively inexperienced Kemper user. After trying a lot of profiles out, I found 2-3 that I absolutely loved - the sound going through my headphones was exactly what I've been looking for.

I have spent the last couple years trying to get that same sound through speakers, with a good "in the room" sound. I tried the Kabinet. I tried a 1x12 guitar cab.

What got me there was a high quality FRFR (Atomic CLR).

Just my experience: many people love the Kabinet sound. Many people love the 1x12 guitar cab or guitar cab stack sound. No right or wrong answer.

• Just my experience: many people love the Kabinet sound. Many people love the 1x12 guitar cab or guitar cab stack sound. No right or wrong answer.

For me, it's not as easy as just liking the sound. I like the sound of a cab and studio monitors. I'm looking for the best way to be able to edit sounds at home, and have them be very close to the same thing FOH. When you use a cab and cabdriver, What you hear and what goes FOH or to desk can be very different.

• I built an exact copy of the Kabinet ( powered w/ Icepower module), but still find my Atomic CLR and find it much more satisfying.
    I play in cover bands , and need everything from Clean Fender Twins (w/open back 2-12s)and Basemans and also Marshalls (Stock & modified w/4-12 cabs) and Voxs

If I played Metal, I would probably use a tube power amp and 2 or 4 12 cab

• For me, it's not as easy as just liking the sound. I like the sound of a cab and studio monitors. I'm looking for the best way to be able to edit sounds at home, and have them be very close to the same thing FOH. When you use a cab and cabdriver, What you hear and what goes FOH or to desk can be very different.

I edit sounds at home for both as you mention. I have the luxury of having a PA in my music room. I connect the toaster mains to the mixer/PA and the powered toaster output to a guitar cab. I can listen to either one separately or both together. I try to tweak for the best balance so that the FOH channel at the gig can be setup flat. This reduces my reliance on the sound guy to do something 'special' to my FOH. Yes, PAs are different but this is the best that I've been able to come up with. I also choose the cab model to be consistent with the guitar cab that I am using in order to minmize the difference.

• I edit sounds at home for both as you mention. I have the luxury of having a PA in my music room. I connect the toaster mains to the mixer/PA and the powered toaster output to a guitar cab. I can listen to either one separately or both together. I try to tweak for the best balance so that the FOH channel at the gig can be setup flat. This reduces my reliance on the sound guy to do something 'special' to my FOH. Yes, PAs are different but this is the best that I've been able to come up with. I also choose the cab model to be consistent with the guitar cab that I am using in order to minmize the difference.

Having your P.A at home/garage that you use live would be great!

• So what have we learned from this exercise? Probably nothing. Some people like FR and some like speaker cabs. The FR crowd can't even agree on one particular FR solution that sounds best. The speaker cab guys split between the Kemper Kab and traditional guitar cabs. The traditional cab guys are all over the map as to which speaker sounds best. The Kone guys split between the Kemper Kab and putting Kones in a regular guitar cab.

Just like pickups, strings, guitars, tubes, picks... even Kemper profiles. This is something you just have to sort out for yourself. Try your Kemper in as many different scenarios as you can until you find something you like or find the tone you are looking for. If you purchase something without having heard it try to buy from a retailer that allows returns if it does not suit you. There is no one size fits all in the "off the rack" world we live in.

I chose FR and chose the particular FR unit I purchased (two of them, actually) based largely on the glowing endorsement of a well respected member of the Kemper forum. He has since moved on to another FR unit and then to the Kemper Kab, if I recall correctly. Luckily, he was spot on about the first option. So, there you go.

So what have we learned from this exercise? Probably nothing. Some people like FR and some like speaker cabs. The FR crowd can't even agree on one particular FR solution that sounds best. The speaker cab guys split between the Kemper Kab and traditional guitar cabs. The traditional cab guys are all over the map as to which speaker sounds best. The Kone guys split between the Kemper Kab and putting Kones in a regular guitar cab.

Just like pickups, strings, guitars, tubes, picks... even Kemper profiles. This is something you just have to sort out for yourself. Try your Kemper in as many different scenarios as you can until you find something you like or find the tone you are looking for. If you purchase something without having heard it try to buy from a retailer that allows returns if it does not suit you. There is no one size fits all in the "off the rack" world we live in.

I chose FR and chose the particular FR unit I purchased (two of them, actually) based largely on the glowing endorsement of a well respected member of the Kemper forum. He has since moved on to another FR unit and then to the Kemper Kab, if I recall correctly. Luckily, he was spot on about the first option. So, there you go.

• OK, I’ve red so much about FR or not FR now, it’s refreshing and confusing at the same time :) Would you mind sharing the FR brands you’ve decided to go for?

Looking around, it appears that there is quite a difference in price for FRFR speakers, maybe because there isn’t that many of them in a market?

Kemper Kabinet is only available from Kemper Germany, bringing it from DE to UK, I’m bound to pay 20% VAT and potentially import duty tax on the top of £480.00 what is quite expensive toy already (let alone to buy a pair of them :))

Other brands I’ve looked at Line 6 for instance, can get up to £1000 for what is essentially flat rate speaker, seems quite steep? Headrush FR looks just like a floor monitor, but people seems to have decent option of it, well more positive than negative. I’m looking at Laney LFR as at list it’s got that cabinet presence and a DI output which can be useful, but then again, it’s priced at £429, which isn’t exactly cheap, anyone used Laney? Any good?

I need a speaker in the room just to practice really and give it a good/loud riff sometimes, I dont want to rape my studio monitors with heavy guitar riffs.

Please share the brands you’ve chosen for FRFR, very keen to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

• Please share the brands you’ve chosen for FRFR, very keen to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

I bought the Yamaha DXR10 based on recommendations here. It's not the cheapest solution. However, because I've been very happy with it, I haven't felt the need to explore any of the other options.

Also worth noting that I bought it before Headrush became another viable FRFR solution, and well before Kemper started offering the Kabinets. I'm sure both of these sound good. Headrush is about getting an FRFR for a cheaper price. The Kabinet is about the amp in the room experience.

My only other thought is that the DXR10 has a 10" speaker. I play classic rock and that's fine for me. For metal guys doing the lower tunings and heavier tones, it might also be worth comparing a 10" to a 12" inch to see if the latter gives you a better experience for heavy guitar riffs.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• My opinion....

FR is a better option because it doesn't color every rig. I found many cabs I tried so colored the rigs that the differences that should be there are smeared by the color.

The best cab would be the Kabinet.... As it is specifically designed to work with the KPA to make the rigs sound like they should.

I use a DSR112 which is a seriously over priced solution for this purpose, but I have them for my PA anyway.

If I had to purchase a speaker for the explicit purpose of amplifying my KPA it would, hands down, be the Kemper Kabinet.

• I had the Kemper powered Kab 2 years ago but something was wrong with it (probably a defect) and had to send it back. I didn't had both side by side.

does the speaker imprint effect the sound?i know it suppose to work with the kab,just wonder if it useful with the fender frfr as well?

• does the speaker imprint effect the sound?i know it suppose to work with the kab,just wonder if it useful with the fender frfr as well?

I have it on here. It just sounds better. Had the same experience using the Line 6 Catalyst 100 as powered speaker. Is it true to the original speaker? I don't care, if it sounds good, then is good

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I have it on here. It just sounds better. Had the same experience using the Line 6 Catalyst 100 as powered speaker. Is it true to the original speaker? I don't care, if it sounds good, then is good

thanks, today i'm using yamaha Dbr10,i like it but really looking for that "amp in the room" tone.

do you play high gain profiles?

• thanks, today i'm using yamaha Dbr10,i like it but really looking for that "amp in the room" tone.

do you play high gain profiles?

Not really, the maximum I go is Iron Maiden or Stave Vai. No chugga here. But there is a YT video von Ola Englud with the TMP and FR12. He was quite impressed...

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I'm runing 1 monitor out into a Rocktron Velocity 300 into a Marshall 412 with Kone switch off (red), sounds killer on high gain.

Also ran through full PA this afternoon with bass bin, no monitor, again excellent although this time with the cabinet ir's activated.

• It seems that several of us new(er) Kemper owners are pretty curious about the KEMPER Kabinet as compared to the Fender FR10 or FR12. Is one "better?" Are the speaker imprints actually good? Do the speaker imprints work with the FR10 / FR12? Are they accurate with the Fender FR speakers? I am interested in buying one of the two at some point. I don't have the disposable income to buy and try both, so just looking for feedback, on the off chance someone has direct experience with both? thanks all.