La Danza Del Vestito Rosso

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A little soundtrack number. For some reason SC has compressed the living hell out of it, but there you go. I'm liking the "Brass Diver Crimson" profile for bass, used it yesterday too but here just used to place a couple of key notes in here to add tension.

• Thanks Monkey_Man I'm afraid I don't know it (the breadth of my ignorance is sadly... well... breathtaking to be honest, sorry to dissapoint).

Mostly what I learned from this is to maybe figure out a tune first, then do the orchestration... then play the tune on top of that rather than the other way around, then it would have taken less time and sounded better but ho-hum.

• You played the piano? Awesome, that's something I really want to do, this is really inspiring.

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• I did, but honestly in parts here because I didn’t want to spend the day learning the tune, although it would have been played better if I had.

So lets see the man behind the curtain. So today I was listening to Rachmaninov in the car and liking the way orchestra and piano came together which lead to an attempt at this. The initial run is much faster than I could play, thus I had to slow it down to half speed in order to record that part to sound right, it would be trivial for a concert pianist but I’m focused more on making a production quickly and will have to learn my fast scales separately, this scale (Gm) has a “leading tone” (added F#) which gives it a little more interest and allows it to fit the beat nicely. From there it’s back recording at normal speed and just heads out into improv land. I started with the chord/melody sequence that leads into the main melody where the partial chords are handled separately in each hand which I like the tension of (and stole from Beethoven because he seems to do this a lot), so left might play the third and right the first and fifth in different octaves. Then I started to play around with let chords and a lead line, which lead to the left hand pattern. Once I had a couple of chords and short line I sat down worked out the rest of the chords and played the left hand line in on its own then improvised the lead, punching in and replacing bits with fluffed notes or when I got a better idea. That allowed me to knock it out pretty quick and fake sounding like a competent-ish player.

• Thanks for that explanation, it sounds great no matter what you did to achieve it, and applause for that effort, good tricks to learn here :)

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• I'm afraid I don't know it (the breadth of my ignorance is sadly... well... breathtaking to be honest, sorry to dissapoint).

The track's at 16m 39s brother. You'll see what I mean; there's quite a few of those moments.

The album's a masterpiece and has been one of my favourites for almost 40 years:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is another level of musicianship bro, wow. Thanks for sharing this, I heard the new Alan Parson release the other day called one note symphony live in Tel Aviv with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, I've never really listened to him a lot, but I know who he is ( who doesn't). The production is outstanding, just like this one you posted. These guys you posted above are incredible. I skipped passed some of the tracks as I can't listen to some of them lol, but the mix and production and skill is amazing.

External Content www.youtube.com

Jimi Hendrix.

• Thanks deangersmith and Monkey_Man I’ll get this stuff playing while I’m at work so I can absorb it all as these are full on concerts! Very cool so far though. I hear how this must have influenced John Williams and other film composers. If I’m trying to think of a solid use of that sort of dropping off broken/missing syncopation motif in more modern times it then probably stuff like Eberhard Weber and some of those piano solos on Take 5 by Brubeck of course.

• These guys you posted above are incredible. I skipped passed some of the tracks as I can't listen to some of them lol, but the mix and production and skill is amazing.

Indeed brother.

When you've got Lee Ritenour, Dave & Don Grusin, Anthony Jackson, Eric Gale, Steve Gadd et al arranged and produced like that, you've got something super-special.

The CD sounds way-better than YouTube too, of course.