How to get Max Volume from Powered Kabinet?

• FWIW, when I first spent time with my Kemper, i chose a number or profiles and immediately set to using them at rehearsals. Having levelled them all for my needs, with the loudest I use falling just short of clipping the output, I ALWAYs find professional and RigManager content to be significantly quieter.

There might already be untapped headroom in the profiles which hold back the full output.

All factory profiles and commercial profiles are set to mostly standard levels, that is Amp Volume and Rig Volume at Noon (+- zero dB).

There is no need to push the Rigs to just below clipping.

By using max volume on the Power Cabinet chickenhead the headroom of both devices are perfectly matched.

Then use Power Amp Boost at +6 dB or more, and dial your required volume by using „Monitor Volume“. You can easily reach (and exceed) the 200W rating by this. Hence the Wattage Meter in the Kemper Kone Menu.

The OP might have missed to check Monitor Volume. If it was e.g. 12 dB lower, you reach only a 16th of the power, that is 12.5W only.

• This is not exactly true, as mentioned above.

Quiet Profiles are not a problem.

And.. it is not possible to create quiet or loud Profiles. Every Profile is set to a unity level during the Profiling process.

The user has no influence to that whatsoever.

And.. it is not possible to create quiet or loud Profiles. Every Profile is set to a unity level during the Profiling process.

I was describing my experience with some profile sets. So I am trying to reconcile my experience with what you are saying here.

By unity do you mean unity gain over the input level? Or unity as in a standard RMS or peak volume level?

I have many profiles and some are much louder than others. It is possible to boost the level of a quieter profile in the parameters of the profile as I described and I have done this and the result is a louder profile, not clipping. So clearly, the KPA has headroom to cope with boosting in this way. Some profiles may be boosted perhaps after profiling by vendors. Another possibility is that clean profiles are not as compressed as profiles taken at higher gain levels, so subjectively, they are louder even though at peak levels (eg in attack transients) may be more nearly similar in level.

• I was describing my experience with some profile sets. So I am trying to reconcile my experience with what you are saying here.

By unity do you mean unity gain over the input level? Or unity as in a standard RMS or peak volume level?

I have many profiles and some are much louder than others. It is possible to boost the level of a quieter profile in the parameters of the profile as I described and I have done this and the result is a louder profile, not clipping. So clearly, the KPA has headroom to cope with boosting in this way. Some profiles may be boosted perhaps after profiling by vendors. Another possibility is that clean profiles are not as compressed as profiles taken at higher gain levels, so subjectively, they are louder even though at peak levels (eg in attack transients) may be more nearly similar in level.

Yes, I mean unity RMS level on the output. The RMS is true for distorted as well as clean profiles.

The balance between clean and distorted Rigs is then set by Clean Sense individually.

And yes, the Profiler has a lot of headroom. It is especially necessary for the peaks of a clean guitar.

We are on a thread about Kabinet and loudness. It is not necessary to boost the volumes of the profiles, to reach the maximum rating of the Kabinet. This is done by the controls as described.

Thanks for confirming that. Myth busted.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Just a note on the technicalities:

Level is an objective measure - signal voltage, sound pressure - and you measure it in dB relative to some agreed standard - eg dBu, dBV.

Loudness is a subjective experience - how the sound iteracts with your perceptual apparatus and nervous system - and is measured in phons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phon

If I say something is louder, that is analogous to me saying it tastes salty to me. You can't argue with me about my perception. You can only say - well, hmmph, it doesn't taste salty to me. We may not agree but neither of us are necessarily incorrect.