New tune, Reward

• Driving it hard straight out the gate, very cool as usual, love that guitar tone, good stuff Joe killer licks \m/

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• Thanks Mats_Nermark To be honest, all my guitar tracks are generally a hard panned left and right guitar using the same profile with Bass and drums pretty much centre. The bass does help fill out the overall girth of the tone. I usually master the tracks using EZmix with their "master1" preset, this usually helps raise the volume slightly for the final track. It's taken me a while to land on the right guitar input signal into my DAW vs the volume of the drum and bass plug-ins i use. I've created a very basic template in my Daw that makes it easy to achieve similar levels for all my tunes, this has definitely helped.

• Do you double track your guitar parts hard L/R or do you play differently L/R?

Cheers,

Mats N

I record a separate guitar track and pan then full left and full right, this seems to work for me. I seldom use more that 2 heavy rhythm guitars as i find it gets muddier the more tracks i add so i tend to stick with only 2 rhythm tracks

• I record a separate guitar track and pan then full left and full right, this seems to work for me. I seldom use more that 2 heavy rhythm guitars as i find it gets muddier the more tracks i add so i tend to stick with only 2 rhythm tracks

Thank you! I will now try that but I will be prepared to to be disappointed in myself. ;)

Cheers,

Mats N

• makes me marvel at just how good guys like Hetfield and the other thrashers are when they can trac 4 rhythm tacks and make them sound as tight as they do, I've done 3 and 4 before (seperate takes) and it does get muddy, depending on the style of the riff, if it's a very simple riff with long sustains etc it's not too bad, bt anything more technical or intricate, you have to basically be like a machine lol, which Hetfield is in my opinion. Also Gary Holt, Alex Skolnick and the rest of them from the thrash genre.

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• makes me marvel at just how good guys like Hetfield and the other thrashers are when they can trac 4 rhythm tacks and make them sound as tight as they do, I've done 3 and 4 before (seperate takes) and it does get muddy, depending on the style of the riff, if it's a very simple riff with long sustains etc it's not too bad, bt anything more technical or intricate, you have to basically be like a machine lol, which Hetfield is in my opinion. Also Gary Holt, Alex Skolnick and the rest of them from the thrash genre.

When you add extra tracks, you are going to want to cut some low end from your signal chain to keep from getting muddy. Another thing is that getting too tight on tracking is not always desirable since the blend will just add volume instead of depth and mass. I have noticed this when practicing DT over and over. You can hear the depth get shallower as you get tighter, and tighter will also move the DT more center which gives a volume rise - this can be pro or con depending on your song presentation. At least, this is how I interpret sound when DT-ing.

A neat trick to try is to reverse the phase of one of the opposing tracks during DT to add a little more characteristics to the overall tracks.

You mentioned in my song "Always" that I should have DT the rhythm guitars. I actually tripled-track them and played them as tight as I could. That might be why you don't hear the wide stereo effect as loosely as maybe it should be. The lead guitar was done with a Waves DT plugin (love that thing!).

I really love DT, and I am doing it almost exclusively on every song. I love how it sounds and keeps my tone from sounding brittle and thin to my ears, and I hope to master it. That's one of my goals.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 4 times, last by BayouTexan ().

Yeah, agreed although i do believe the chunkier and the gainier the tone the muddier it can get with up to 4 tracks. I don't have the skill of discipline to pull this off 😂

• Yeah, agreed although i do believe the chunkier and the gainier the tone the muddier it can get with up to 4 tracks. I don't have the skill of discipline to pull this off 😂

That's were boosting the mids comes in ;) also if you only want to use on track but double it and pan it hard l/r, yes all it will do is boost the volume, but if you want a great stereo effect, you can move one track 30ms out of sync with the other, it's a great trick commonly used, 30ms or less is best for this effect. Play around with that figure to achieve desired effect.

There's tons of vids on how to achieve this, I found the shortest one I could to give you an example, very cool trick, for acoustic and electric recordings.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jimi Hendrix.

• That's were boosting the mids comes in ;) also if you only want to use on track but double it and pan it hard l/r, yes all it will do is boost the volume, but if you want a great stereo effect, you can move one track 30ms out of sync with the other, it's a great trick commonly used, 30ms or less is best for this effect. Play around with that figure to achieve desired effect.

There's tons of vids on how to achieve this, I found the shortest one I could to give you an example, very cool trick, for acoustic and electric recordings.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I remember John Petrucci talking about his doubling effect using 7ms of delay live.