Preset IRs What do you think of them?

• I was recently informed the PROFILER comes with 18 cabinet presets preinstalled based on IRs provided by Celestion. I don't recall that mine did or they could have been erased. Regardless, I guess these are available on RM as well.

I was wondering if anyone uses them and what they think about them? I'm happy with the cab sounds I have, just thought it would be interesting to try Celestion's take on them if they were worth downloading. I'm always searching for that ONE cab sound that matches my live cab the best. For IR I'm guessing it might be best to use Direct or Merged profiles, but normally I only use studio profiles and let the cab driver do the splitting out which has been fine. I just wondered if what parts didn't get separated (or were "baked in") would "muck up" a IR.

• I've stared to use the Kemper's by Celestion IRs when they came out just to give them a try, and I must admit I've found the CreamBack 1x12 OpenBack R121 fits perfectly with some Direct Amp profiles (clean-cleanish profiles) I did on a particoular Amp.

So I've decided to purchase some others by Celestion and I Use them.

I've purchesed 5 different 4x12 packs.

A positve aspect is the way they are organized, You can see there's a 'Standard'; a common way to realize them.

This, after some time You test them, let you easily foresee what will be the right One for the sound You're looking for.

any way, the one I use Most of the times is a 4x12 V30 Mix of SM57, R121 and MD421.

• I’ve tried a few times to replace the cabs by ir.

Sometimes it works great sometime not lol.

I gave up on doing this, too time consuming.

You have to find a direct profile that sounds good with some irs you’re already familiar with (I used to work with a torpedo live so I’m used to irs), then you have to find the one you like in your 985 « top irs » folder lol.

Too much of a rabbit hole for me.

If I wanted to mess with irs I would buy a fractal. I have enough finding the holy grail of profiles

• I started down the IR rabbit hole recently - tried all the free ones you mention (didn't really like them) and the ones in Petr Canov's pack, with which I had more success. However I never managed to get better results than with studio profiles where the cabs had already been carefully chosen (and carefully mic'd up) to suit the amp. No doubt if you buy some Celestion or Tonehammer IR's, the possibilities expand - but, as said above, it's enough work finding studio profiles that work well - add into this almost endless combinations of direct profiles and cab IR's, mixing and matching in the hope that something gels... not sure it's worth it!

Also, to my ears, merged profiles never sound quite as good as studio profiles - I'd say the latter are what the Kemper does best. Of course, opinions may vary, but that was my conclusion.

• IRs are kind of amazing.

Each time i buy a new amp profiles pack, or go on a tone-matching quest, i start with stock profiles and tweak them to reach a specific objective. I'm usually very happy at the conclusion of that little process. But, then i go into the IRs thing. I start by sticking the stock IR into a folder i call "A/B testing." And then i go through the 100 or so IRs i have been working with, but only with the appropriate IRs for the amp. And as i go through them, i drag the ones i like into the A/B folder. I eventually end up with about 10 in the A/B, and i just go through them and compare one to the next, and delete the copy that 'loses' that individual battle. From that, i end up with a winner. And 95 times out of 100, the winner is much better than the stock.

Which is bizarre, because i started the whole process really, really liking what i had done with the Stock IR. But, after A/B'ing all my favorite IRs, when i go back to the Stock, the stock sounds flat and muffled.

I think the key, though, is to create a process for auditioning IRs that keeps you out of a rabbit hole. Something that limits the number you will test and the time you spend. I do all of what i just described in five to ten minutes, just strumming the same few chords and just getting very quick impressions and making quick decisions.

• Interesting - if I decide to dive back into IR's at some point, which ones do you recommend?

Also, do you find they help with profiles that didn't quite work tonally with certain pickups (e.g. too bassy or trebly), or do you really need to start with a profile that works well already?

• Interesting - if I decide to dive back into IR's at some point, which ones do you recommend?

Also, do you find they help with profiles that didn't quite work tonally with certain pickups (e.g. too bassy or trebly), or do you really need to start with a profile that works well already?

I am not dedicated to any particular source for IRs. And, some of the darlings on TGP I don’t find to be up to the hype. I have some Ownhammer, Tone Junkie, York Audio, some random freebies. Just a mixed bag.

I don’t think I’m in the position to answer your second question. I don’t bother swapping IRs until I’m already happy with the profile I’ve tweaked. And I have profiles that are tweaked for each specific guitar. So, before I audition IRs, I have edited the profile for that guitar, it’s working and I’m happy. Then, finding a better cab is like turbo charging the profile sometimes and sometimes it’s like a significant modification of the tone.

It’s shocking, typically, to go back to the profile I was happy with (before delving into alternate IRs) and find that what I liked now sounds pretty bad in comparison. IRs make a huge difference.

• I am not dedicated to any particular source for IRs. And, some of the darlings on TGP I don’t find to be up to the hype. I have some Ownhammer, Tone Junkie, York Audio, some random freebies. Just a mixed bag.

I don’t think I’m in the position to answer your second question. I don’t bother swapping IRs until I’m already happy with the profile I’ve tweaked. And I have profiles that are tweaked for each specific guitar. So, before I audition IRs, I have edited the profile for that guitar, it’s working and I’m happy. Then, finding a better cab is like turbo charging the profile sometimes and sometimes it’s like a significant modification of the tone.

It’s shocking, typically, to go back to the profile I was happy with (before delving into alternate IRs) and find that what I liked now sounds pretty bad in comparison. IRs make a huge difference.

I finally got around to experimenting with IR's and really glad I did! I tried various direct profiles I've accumulated over the years (and had previously ignored) and paired them with the Kemper's free IR's - interestingly, the one that worked best for me happened to be the same one Sollazon mentioned above (GM12 65 creamback 112 open R121 bright). And it didn't just "work, it worked really well - instantly I got a type of sound I'd been looking for, but never managed to find in any studio packs. So I auditioned a bunch more free IR's from Valhallir, tried the $1 pack from York, but none of these worked as well as the free celestion ones - also considered Ownhammer, but they've got no free samples, plus looks like way too many options in their packs... So spent a while researching Celestion speakers, and decided to go for their G12H75 pack - and wow, it's taken my Kemper to a whole new level! Never fully appreciated how much difference the choice of speaker makes before, and turns out the creamback sound is the one I've been chasing. Yes, it takes a while auditioning IR's, but thankfully not too many options in the celestion packs, and the ones that are there just work - have now got some of the best sounds (pairing these with direct and merged profiles) that I've ever got with the Kemper - maybe not objectively "better" than the studio profiles I've used previously, but more tailored to my pickups and the "ideal sound in my head".

Anyway, will definitely be trying some more Celestion packs in the future (e.g. the G12M 65 creamback) and maybe from other companies too. As much as people say the whole IR thing is a rabbit hole, I'm finding it far quicker (and cheaper!) than buying tons of studio profiles in the hope that a few in each pack might suit my pickups.

TLDR - many thanks for the suggestion and info re IRs!

• Soon after I've realized that DA profiles + IR Works for me, I ve started to use Wall of Sound. It's a free plug in by Two Notes.

It really opened up a New World for me.

Now I use it (with a Topredo Captor) Everytime I profile an Amp so I get the DA profiles (just the amp, without the plugin) and also Studio profiles with my Personal/Custom IR's mix (in case I need something a little bit different from Celestion IR or Wall of Sound Presets).

PS alligatorlizard 2 Z in Sollazzon please8o

• Soon after I've realized that DA profiles + IR Works for me, I ve started to use Wall of Sound. It's a free plug in by Two Notes.

It really opened up a New World for me.

Now I use it (with a Topredo Captor) Everytime I profile an Amp so I get the DA profiles (just the amp, without the plugin) and also Studio profiles with my Personal/Custom IR's mix (in case I need something a little bit different from Celestion IR or Wall of Sound Presets).

PS alligatorlizard 2 Z in Sollazzon please8o

Hey, at least I got the 2 L's right ;) Wondered why it didn't come up as a tag! Was typing quickly while waiting for files to copy...

Just been looking at the plugin you mentioned - I had been wondering about the possibility of loading IR's with some sort of IR loader in my DAW - seeing as I'm always using the Kemper thru it anyway. Have heard there's a bit more fidelity/accuracy as opposed to the Kemper-converted cab files - plus, would be interesting to blend several IR's - e.g. the one thing I feel is lacking with the Celestion packs is multi micing - there are only a few multi mic mixes available, and the only tonal options here are "LoGain" & "HiGain", as opposed to 6 different options with single mics. But with an IR loader, presumably I could blend my favourite single mics of different types together. Anyway, thanks, will add the plugin you mention to my list of possibilities :thumbup:

• cheers.. just jokeing.. no problem man.

Yep, Wall of Sound also works as "just" an IR loader in Your DAW.

I started using it intensly 'cause the free Cab already included is actually a Marshall 1960 AV (4×12 w/V30) that was and still is my Main/Fav. cab for a long time.

So I ve stared experimenting with it..

It was a lot of fun, easy to use and damn consistent.

About Celestion IRs, as I've said before, My Favourite one is the Mix of 57+121+421 of a 4x12 V30. But with Wall of Sound I've also made my "Signature" preset Mixing those 3 singol IR in a different, personal way.

If I don't go wrong I ve also shared it in a profile on rig Exchange.

I Know Celestion did his own plug-in to use their 'Dynamic IR' or whatever they call them.. but it was f' expensive so I've never even tried it.

• Planning to demo a bunch of IR loaders this week - been using the free NadIR plugin over the last few days, just to get a feel for mixing IR's (tho you can only mix 2, and can't export) - definitely some interesting possibilities, e.g a close mic and room. Also planning to demo the Celestion dynamic IR thing - it's pricey, but you do get 10 free "dynamic IR" cabs (of your choice) with it, so it's not actually a bad deal. It can't export IR's tho, so I'd be stuck with loading this (and a corresponding preset) for each DI Kemper profile I use. If their "Dynamic" IR tech really makes a difference, I may consider it. Otherwise MixIR3 and Libra are also on my list.

btw, after extensive testing of the Celestion IR's, with all sorts of different DI profiles, I was surprised to find that my favourite cab by far is the 1x12 (open). I always gigged with 4x12's, and just figured that this, or maybe a 2x12, was what you needed for rock. But the 1x12 sounds far more present/controlled/dynamic/immediate/punchy no matter what type of tone I throw at it. I did buy a pack from York Audio too (Mrsh M25), and they're good, but don't like them as much as the Celestion ones.

• Yes.. I got You. It's a shame when You can not export Preset as IR. I wish WoS was able to do it but it's not possibile.

anyway You can still create a 'classic' IR with a software like voxengo deconvlover or similar.. I've done it a couple of time but I quit very Soon.