Ethernet API Documentation

• Hi,

I would like to communicate with the Kemper over its ethernet interface, e.g. for communicating with my (non-iOS) android devices or building my own footswitch..

For that, it would be helpful to have some kind of api documentation (ideally running on KEMPER_IP:80 or so ;) ) or maybe a paket log from someone who has a kemper and a remote (or an ipad..), i only get a lot of "-NO"s out of the 5727 port:/

Thanks,

Robin

• I was toying with this too. Here's what I found:

• First of all, both the KPA and the Remote periodically emit an UDP message on Broadcast containing metadata about themselves. I guess they do so to find each other.
    • After connecting to the KPA, it emits some GUIDs I have yet to make sense of. Probably some kind of identification.
    • After that, try sending "floorboard". You will get "+floorboard" back and then some kind of handshake protocol starts. Messages are terminated with 0x0d (13) 0x0a (10) or vice versa. Up to this point at least. The KPA doesn't seem to mind which one you use.
    • From that point onward communication changes to a binary protocol where the first byte is 0xaa, the second byte is the full length of the message, the 3d byte seems to be a "message type" and then comes the actual payload.

I didn't have much time to work on it, and I could not yet make sense of the payload or how is encoded.

I've written a KPA emulator in C# (to understand the protocol of the Remote) that seems to be recognized by the Remote because it attempts to connect to it, but I was unable to get the handshake right - for now. And after 10secs that you don't reply correctly the connection drops and the Remote reconnects.

• I was toying with this too. Here's what I found:

• First of all, both the KPA and the Remote periodically emit an UDP message on Broadcast containing metadata about themselves. I guess they do so to find each other.
    • After connecting to the KPA, it emits some GUIDs I have yet to make sense of. Probably some kind of identification.
    • After that, try sending "floorboard". You will get "+floorboard" back and then some kind of handshake protocol starts. Messages are terminated with 0x0d (13) 0x0a (10) or vice versa. Up to this point at least. The KPA doesn't seem to mind which one you use.
    • From that point onward communication changes to a binary protocol where the first byte is 0xaa, the second byte is the full length of the message, the 3d byte seems to be a "message type" and then comes the actual payload.

I didn't have much time to work on it, and I could not yet make sense of the payload or how is encoded.

I've written a KPA emulator in C# (to understand the protocol of the Remote) that seems to be recognized by the Remote because it attempts to connect to it, but I was unable to get the handshake right - for now. And after 10secs that you don't reply correctly the connection drops and the Remote reconnects.

I love that people like you still exists in the world. Thanks.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM