Separate EQ settings for Monitor Out and Speaker Out jacks for Kemper Powerhead+Kabinet?

• I have a Kemper Profiler Powerhead + Kabinet setup. In the Output menu, I enable the Kemper Klone setting and of course use cabinet simulation. So far I like the sound.

Yesterday I simultaneously hooked up the Monitor Out jack (set up as Master Mono in the Output menu) to an external mixer EQ'd flat, which then goes to my Bose L1 Compact PA, and it sounded terrible, really harsh.

Can I EQ the Monitor Out and Speaker Out jacks separately on the Kemper, so I only ffect the Monitor Out and not the Speaker Out? If so how? Sure I know I can EQ on the external mixer, that that's beside the point.

TIA

Edited once, last by ZillaG ().

• Are you using the monitor output EQ to further adjust the Kemper Kone, and that's what's causing the harsh sound in the Bose?

If so, does changing the cab in your profile make any difference? Since the Kone idea is to replace the Rig cabinet with an Imprint maybe using another cab that works well with the Bose would work, while leaving your Imprint for the Kone.

If still no good, can you use the Main outputs with their own EQ for the Bose? If you also had to send Main out to another PA, they should probably be OK with the same EQ.

• But I guess if you're using imprints, they be on both the speaker out an monitor out anyway. So maybe it's the imprint not working well with the Bose. Have you tried it using the Kone through speaker out but not an imprint (FRFR)?

• Are you using the monitor output EQ to further adjust the Kemper Kone, and that's what's causing the harsh sound in the Bose?

If so, does changing the cab in your profile make any difference? Since the Kone idea is to replace the Rig cabinet with an Imprint maybe using another cab that works well with the Bose would work, while leaving your Imprint for the Kone.

If still no good, can you use the Main outputs with their own EQ for the Bose? If you also had to send Main out to another PA, they should probably be OK with the same EQ.

No. My monitor output EQs are completely flat. I'll try the Main outputs next so I can EQ it separately.

• I just now tried sending my Main outputs (set up as Master Mono, and flat EQ on the Kemper) to my Bose L1 via a mixer with flat EQs, and it resembles more what I hear out of the Kemper Kabinet, which is what I'd expect since the Bose is a powered FRFR. I made extra sure there's no extra coloring on the Kemper side - like I said, flat EQ, Output Filter no Low Cut or High Cut, etc.

So there has to be a difference between my Monitor out signal vs. my Main out signal.

• If the EQ is flat and you're not using an Imprint, are you using a direct profile - something with no cab loaded? No cab would generally sound pretty bad through a full range speaker.

No good reason a regular studio profile should sound all that bad through a PA type system like your Bose. The KAB should just give you a bit more AITR quality. Are you saying the Bose sounds bad on all profiles?

Hard to guess what "harsh" means in your description. You might try posting a recording and someone doing similar might have some suggestions.

• If the EQ is flat and you're not using an Imprint, are you using a direct profile - something with no cab loaded? No cab would generally sound pretty bad through a full range speaker.

No good reason a regular studio profile should sound all that bad through a PA type system like your Bose. The KAB should just give you a bit more AITR quality. Are you saying the Bose sounds bad on all profiles?

Hard to guess what "harsh" means in your description. You might try posting a recording and someone doing similar might have some suggestions.

No, I'm using a JTM 45 profile WITH the cab loaded - at least I don't have "* Cab Off" button pushed anywhere. The gain is around 4.

By "harsh" I mean it sounds like the treble is saturated, and the mid and bass are lacking. I can turn down the treble on the mixer, and make it sound better.

But 2 posts above, I mentioned I tried my Mains, and they sounded more like my Kab.

• Kemper Kone Mode activates a sound optimization for the Kemper Kone chassis regardless if you run it in full-range or Speaker Imprint mode and how you set parameters like Directivity, Sweetening, Bass Boost and others. The simple rule is: don't use MONITOR OUT and SPEAKER OUTPUT for different purposes. The SPEAKER OUTPUT is like the MONITOR OUTPUT, just with more juice.

• Kemper Kone Mode activates a sound optimization for the Kemper Kone chassis regardless if you run it in full-range or Speaker Imprint mode and how you set parameters like Directivity, Sweetening, Bass Boost and others. The simple rule is: don't use MONITOR OUT and SPEAKER OUTPUT for different purposes. The SPEAKER OUTPUT is like the MONITOR OUTPUT, just with more juice.

This is why I'm perplexed. I am using, or want to use, MONITOR OUT and SPEAKER OUT for the SAME purpose, but somehow, my MONITOR OUT doesn't sound the same (sounds harsh - see my elaboration on "harsh" on previous post). I (think) I set them up the same - same EQ (flat), Monitor Cab on, etc.

• I provided the explanation already: Both signals (MONITOR OUT and SPEAKER OUT) do include the sound optimization for your KEMPER Kone.

Using the SPEAKER OUTPUT for a KEMPER Kone and the MONITOR OUT to drive a third party full-range system is not the same purpose. Use one of the other line outputs for your Bose system.