Solved: Midi program change across multiple devices

• Hi guys, I use the Band Helper software on my iPad to activate my performances as well as individual slots in the Kemper Profiler Stage. For this I use the Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapter.

It happens quite often that not the desired performance or not the desired slot is activated. Instead, a seemingly arbitrary slot is activated. A repeated activation of the desired slot in the Band Helper App sometimes leads directly to success, but sometimes not. Instead, the same slot is activated again and again, but it is not supposed to be activated at all. Unfortunately, I can't see any systematic behind this suspected misbehavior.

I have used various Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapters on other devices for years without any problems and now I don't know what to do.

Here's an example and a screenshot from the Band Helper app. In this example, I'm trying to activate slot #1 in performance #1 on the Kemper through Midi channel 1 (Midi Prg #1 on Midi Bank #1).

In cases, when something goes wrong, the Kemper activates performance #61 (Midi Prg #45 on Midi Bank #3). I can't see any systematic behavior here...

Can someone help me?

• I'm using the same: iPad, Bandhelper, Yamaha MD-BT01 in rehearsal room as well as Quicco mi.1 at home. Everything works absolutely flawlessly.

We don't know any circumstances, where program changes are nor executed correctly. The issue must be on the sending side.

1. I'm using MIDI presets in Bandhelper. Each song has its corresponding preset. The preset gets sent when I load the song in Bandhelper. It includes the MIDI bank select plus program change. It also sets pedal volume to 0 (CC# 07). Make sure the correct preset is linked to each song.

2. If you intend to spread your sounds across various MIDI banks, make sure, you use bank select LSB for that purpose and that every MIDI preset includes a LSB. Because if you don't, you might just send a program change. Program Change 3 loads Slot 3 of Performance 1 if you reside in bank (LSB) 1. However, if you start in MIDI bank 4 program change 3 loads Slot 2 of Performance 78. The last LSB sticks.

3. Be aware, that you cannot load disabled Slots via Remote or MIDI. If you send LSB 1 and program change 3, while Slot 3 of Performance 1 is disabled, the PROFILER will load Slot 1 of Performance 1 instead. By defintion, Slot 1 is always enabled. To load Slot 3 remotely, enable Slot 3.

• Hi Burkhard , Thank you for your quick response.

In the meantime, I was able to solve the problem:

The Midi Global Channel has to be changed from „Omni“ to the required channel (in my case to channel #1). That‘s it.

• Ok, but that cannot be the cause. "Omni" means, the PROFILER accepts messages on all 16 MIDI channels.

I just verified, that bank select and program change sent on channel 1 get processed as expected, when the PROFILER has MIDI Global Channel set to Omni.

• I fully agree to you - my solution sounds not logical.

Beside the Kemper, Band Helper also triggers my Voice Live 3 Extreme on channel #2. I‘m using the VL for drum loops. Each time when I select another song in Band Helper, it triggers the Kemper and the VL.

The Kemper has replaced my Helix FX Effects in my „Acoustic“ setup and the Line 6 POD HD 500X in my „Electric“ setup. To make it clear:

Acoustic Setup:

- Acoustic guitar

- VL3

- Kemper (has replaced Helix FX Effects))

or

Electric setup:

- Electric guitars

- Kemper (has replaced Line 6 POD HD 500X)

Each device runs on a specific Midi channel and through a dedicated Yamaha MD BT-01. Both setups worked properly for years without the Kemper.

I‘ve also tested my setup with the Kemper only. But it doesn‘t work until I change the settings from Omni to channel #1.

Honestly, I have no idea what causes the issue…

• so the PROFILER, when set OMNI simply is receiving program changes on other MIDI channels intended for other equipment, which 'cancel out' or 'overwrite' the ones actually intended for the PROFILER? (and the solution to select one specific MIDI channel for the PROFILER doesn't sound mystical at all?)

• You're right, I've reconsidered that as well. It's actually perfectly logical. If the Kemper is listening on all channels, then it stands to reason that the Band Helper app is causing the problem.

Actually, I should have figured it out myself right away, since the Kemper kept activating the same unwanted slot. And that is exactly the slot that is sent to the Voice Live Extreme device via channel 2 as a program change.

Thanks a lot for your help!