Considering KPA - specific simple questions about the FX though

• yes, I understand what you are saying. You are correct about the routing but it may not be as big a problem in reality as you imagine it would be. The only way to know for sure is try it.

Thanks - currently running my KPA through a couple software updates, and my buddy has sent me a boatload of profiles he's created in our studio from things like SVTs and Darkglass amps and more, so I have a LOT to try out in the immediate. whooboy

• Personally, I have never warmed up to the transpose (either on the rig level or in a slot).

1) I feel the latency and it drives me crazy (short drive admittedly)

2) It feels like it makes the sound a bit .... not natural.

It isn't just the KPA though. I feel this way about every pedal and efx processor that has this feature. I have simply given up on using it and bring 2 guitars to the gig (A440 and Drop D). This solution has worked well for over 30 years ;)

• No transpose ever sounds as good as a retuned guitar.

To me its only acceptable for:

1) occasional use - say one song in a set

2) In an emergency

3) whammy effects al la killing in the name and Lonely Boy, for which the KPA does a great job!

• I have simply given up on using it and bring 2 guitars to the gig (A440 and Drop D).

Drop D isn't possible with transpose or any pitch-shifter really ;)

I use the Transpose for one song live on a regular basis since it is an open string riff and the vocalist needs it to be a wholestep lower than the original - no issues, no complaints, quite the contrary.

• I use the Transpose for one song live on a regular basis since it is an open string riff and the vocalist needs it to be a wholestep lower than the original - no issues, no complaints, quite the contrary.

TBH I think us as guitarists notice it more than the audience, due to latency and artifacts (which are often hidden in the mix). The sound to me is acceptable in small doses but in my mind actually equal or better than the drop pedal :)

• I understand about the transpose thing - I'll do Drop D when needed, sure, as on the fly it's just easy to do, even by ear. But with all the half step down stuff from the 90s, or the ever present "oh we didn't hire a good enough singer so we have to play everything tuned down"... LOL. And if I were to leave one bass tuned to Eb, then that's a whole bass that I have then relegated to a specific "special duty" and that feels weird to me.

I will say that I think my HXFX did the transpose thing a tad cleaner and with no discernible latency. Plus the parallel pathing option was better. But some of the effects on the KPA are absolutely better than the HX: autowahs, flangers and phasers in particular.

• My drop D one was always a non tremolo model, that way if I broke a string, I could use the backup for either! I really should have got a D tuna I think that's the way to go.

Get you some trem-stops and break all the strings you want! ;) I highly recommend for any tremolo type bridge.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Get you some trem-stops and break all the strings you want! ;) I highly recommend for any tremolo type bridge.

How much can you raise the pitch with the trem arm with those installed? I almost always like the trem sound to surround the original note, not just lower it.

• How much can you raise the pitch with the trem arm with those installed? I almost always like the trem sound to surround the original note, not just lower it.

A trem-stop can be adjusted so you are precise on pull ups from a few cents to whole steps, so you can still use with a floated trem. And you always have full dive.

• My drop D one was always a non tremolo model, that way if I broke a string, I could use the backup for either! I really should have got a D tuna I think that's the way to go.

LOL. Yea, if you are playing (any scale) on a tremolo model and the trem ISN'T hard pinned down, a broken string puts all the other strings so far out of wack you can't even begin to finish the song with it like that!

I don't generally wack at my strings hard enough to break them these days (when I was young...... different story). It also helps to keep good strings on your guitar. Personally, I don't like changing strings before a gig (because they stretch). My perfect timing is 1 week before the gig :). It also helps to wipe them down after every practice/gig to keep your finger sweat off them.

On the original topic, I do like using the transpose for practicing along with youtube with bands (you all know who they are) that are famous for tuning down some amount. Generally, I always try to just have the A440 guitar play those songs too and force the singer (that would be me) to handle singing a little higher :)

• LOL. Yea, if you are playing (any scale) on a tremolo model and the trem ISN'T hard pinned down, a broken string puts all the other strings so far out of wack you can't even begin to finish the song with it like that!

I don't generally wack at my strings hard enough to break them these days (when I was young...... different story). It also helps to keep good strings on your guitar. Personally, I don't like changing strings before a gig (because they stretch). My perfect timing is 1 week before the gig :). It also helps to wipe them down after every practice/gig to keep your finger sweat off them.

On the original topic, I do like using the transpose for practicing along with youtube with bands (you all know who they are) that are famous for tuning down some amount. Generally, I always try to just have the A440 guitar play those songs too and force the singer (that would be me) to handle singing a little higher

I would always break my D string the 2nd night of using a new set of strings on any floyd type. I learned how to wrap enough extra on tuners to snip and pull them down pre gig.. Where it goes across the bridge is where it breaks 99% of the time so making that fresh can make the strings last a long time. At least a couple times I've broke a string and HAD to continue, so I leaned on the bar with my hand while playing, trying to keep the strings where they were and keep the song going. I wouldn't recommend it though lol.

• As mentioned, transpose won't solve the drop D challenge.

For non trem, I use a PitchKey....absolutely brilliant, operates like a D-Tuna.

DaveOnBass interesting you said HXFX did it better...our guitarist uses a Helix and has a Drop pedal because he says the Helix is not good at transpose. You defo need to have enough songs to make a dedicated guitar worthwhile. Im in an 80's hair metal band and we do some Motley crue which is all detuned a tone to D. So I have about 4 or 5 songs in the set with a lower tuning ( we are normally in Eb). Motely Crue to me doesn't sound the same in any other key so I have a dedicated guitar that also serves as a backup ( with transpose) if my other guitar fails.

• this usually indicates issues, such as a burr on the saddles. A good tech can take care of this.

Usually but not here. I design micro metal parts and have better finishing tools and metal inspection tools than likely any techs have and I can tell you for certain there are no burrs on my saddles. Any Floyd I play will do this, it's likely just the way I hit that string.

• Usually but not here. I design micro metal parts and have better finishing tools and metal inspection tools than likely any techs have and I can tell you for certain there are no burrs on my saddles. Any Floyd I play will do this, it's likely just the way I hit that string.

sweet! :)

(your expertise and tools, not the fact that strings do break) ;)

• sweet! :)

(your expertise and tools, not the fact that strings do break) ;)

Sorry reading that back I sounded a little snobby. I just wanted to let you know that they have been very well inspected. I have always wondered if I put a different type of saddle on if it would make a difference. I really don't even use the bar much, I believe it is the way I play because others can make strings last much longer on floyds.

• As mentioned, transpose won't solve the drop D challenge.

For non trem, I use a PitchKey....absolutely brilliant, operates like a D-Tuna.

DaveOnBass interesting you said HXFX did it better...our guitarist uses a Helix and has a Drop pedal because he says the Helix is not good at transpose. You defo need to have enough songs to make a dedicated guitar worthwhile. Im in an 80's hair metal band and we do some Motley crue which is all detuned a tone to D. So I have about 4 or 5 songs in the set with a lower tuning ( we are normally in Eb). Motely Crue to me doesn't sound the same in any other key so I have a dedicated guitar that also serves as a backup ( with transpose) if my other guitar fails.

It could perform differently between guitar and bass. Interestingly enough, I think I was using their "normal" pitch shifter for transposing, as well, instead of their new fancy PolyCapo algorithm, because I think I had run out of dsp blocks.

In the KPA, I think transpose does sound a little tighter at the Rig/Amp level versus as an effect block, but it also feels odd to me to have two separate rigs just for E and Eb. But hey, it's not like I'm playing gigs lately so it's not like I have to have everything perfect *today* - so I keep on keepin on.

• I have never broken a string on a floating FR before from bending because it's nearly impossible to do anyway. I have had the high E and B string pop out of the saddle one time each from me not tightening down enough. And that happened on a 2 whole step pull.