New User questions

• Hello,

I have tried to find my answer, but I couldn't. I apologize if it's been answered elsewhere. I am still learning what this beauty can do! But my question is more of a hardware question I suppose. If I practice in the morning then at night (after work), should I leave the Kemper on? Seeing as there is a boot up and boot down process time, I don't know if it's better to just shut it down when done.

Thanks!

• Hello Gemyneye,

Probably either way is fine. Many days mine is on for much of the day.

The boot time can get longer the more rigs you keep on the Kemper. If you also use Rig Manager then you can keep a large library in Rig Manager and only open on the Kemper as you need them. I usually have maybe 40-50 rigs stored on the Kemper and boot time is under a minute. My Rig Manager starts up in about 45 seconds with a local library of over 10,000. So for me, a restart of both is only about a minute.

• Thank you. I have around 85 rigs loaded. I was just curious if it ran like a computer that sleeps after a while. Or if it's hard on the processor to turn it off and on several times throughout the day.

• I will leave my Kemper on about 6-8 hours a day. However, If I am going to leave the studio, drive to the store, or work outside longer than 30 minutes, then I turn it off. I do the same with TVs and computers.

The Kemper never sleeps. It's on or off.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I will leave my Kemper on about 6-8 hours a day. However, If I am going to leave the studio, drive to the store, or work outside longer than 30 minutes, then I turn it off. I do the same with TVs and computers.

The Kemper never sleeps. It's on or off.

I look at it the same way, its a computer without sleep mode. Therefore for prolonged periods of inactivity, I'd power down.

• Mine stays powered on 24x7 for literally weeks at a time. Zero issue.
    I leave computers powered on too and the Kemper is basically a small embedded computer but with a much more basic operating system.

Computers are literally designed to do this. I’ve never understood why people think it’s necessary to turn them off.

I work in a hospital on IT infrastructure - out of our fleet of computers, probably a good 4000 of them are literally running 24x7x365 (hospitals don’t sleep). Not once have I heard of an issue with a computer dying because of this. Yes occasional reboots are needed to clear RAM.

Leave it on.. turn it off… whatever you feel like doing :) you’re not gonna break it. Just power it down periodically to clear things. And of course unplug during a storm.