Anyone know how to properly get SPDIF working between Kemper and RME UFX inside Totalmix FX???

• This crap is really confusing, and I cant seem to figure it out. I have everything hooked up properly. Now I need to understand how to properly set up the Kemper as master, RME as slave, and properly route this combination inside totalmix fx so I can actually start using this setup with SPDIF finally. Please help someone!!!

Thanks, Chad

• The UFX manual will explain it well I think. I was wondering the same thing and saw that the UFX has some sort of smart technology that should recognize that the kemper needs to be master. I have yet to try it as my Kemper has not arrived.

• Its hard to understand this since its my first go at using these types of I/O. I always had no problems when going straight analog through the kemper into the UFX. I just want the reamping capabilities that SPDIF has to offer. I figure you guys around these parts could help me fine tune this thing. I have a converter box between the optical and coaxial I/O from the kemper to the UFX, and its properly hooked up. The way I started off was selecting the input button on the kemper and selecting the SPDIF input box. Then I go to the RME fireface settings and set the sample rate at 44100 HZ, and use the ADAT1 as my Clock Source which should be correct since I didnt select internal clock source from the RME. Then I go to the matrix view in totalmix FX and try every combination under the sun between ADAT1 and my AN1/2 (main monitors) but no luck, and I cant even see a signal in any of those channels back in the mixer. Im stumped.

• first of all connect the spdif out of the kemper with the spdif in of the UFX
    then go to the settings dialog of the UFX-driver (that is where you also change the latency of the UFX and various other stuff)
    select "spdif" as clock-source in the "clock-mode" section
    now the rme-mixer should get a signal (without any clitches and clicks that would indicate a wrong clock)
    open the rme-mixer:
    you should see 3 rows of faders
    the upper row is for the physical inputs
    the middle row represents the software-inputs (were you route your signals from a DAW)
    the bottom row represents the physical outputs of the UFX
    so, you have to find the fader (if you don´t see faders but only meteres: there is a small arrow that opens the channel in all glory) for the SPDIF inputs in the upper row and route them to the physical outputs that go to your monitoring system
    under the fader of the spdif-input there is a field that says something like "AN 1/2"
    click on this field and you should get a popup where you can select where you want to route that input. select the output where your monitoring is and turn up the volume/fader and voilá
    there you are
    check that the fader on your outputchannel (bottom row) is also open!

• oh, just read your newer post:
    there is a BIG misconception in your thinking!
    the optical in is ADAT
    that is something completly different than spdif!!!
    different format, differend code,...
    no chance that that works!
    you need to make an adapter-cable from coax to XLR and connect that from the kemper spdif-out to the RME AES/EBU in
    (page 43 of the rme manual)
    don´t forget to change the spdif format to consumer in the rme-settings!

• Page 42 says that ADAT2 In can also be used as SPDIF optical input. It also says that ADAT2 Out can also be used as SPDIF optical output.

Tylerhb had said this to me in a PM we had about this subject...

"About your setup... The RME UFX that you have is a very cool audio
    interface. The only thing that is not optimal about is that the SPDIF
    in/out are only available as optical interfaces (you can use the ADAT
    in/out as SPDIF). But cab use cheap converters from optical to coaxial
    (about 15€ each). Using a digital SPDIF connection with the KPA is
    always preferable. If you plan to do reamping the benefits from a
    digital connection become even more evident. You dont lose any signal
    quality and you dont need any reamping box."

I bought this converter box which should do the trick to utilize the SPDIF capabilities of the ADAT2 I/O.

I have no idea why this isnt working properly however. I have PM'd Tylerhb and hopefully he can chime in and help out sometime soon, but I would love to figure it out before then.

• ok, didn´t know this (i don´t have the UFX, only a babyface and a fireface 400)
    do you have a cd-plyer or anything that has an optical out?
    test that to see if you get any signal through the optical cable and take a broken cable out of the equation

• Not right now, I just want to get the signal going through the interface/monitors. Shouldn't that box always be checked anyways, when SPDIF is the only connection between the Kemper and the interface?

• no, in the input section of the kemper you only select the spdif if you want to get a signal from your computer to the input of your kemper (for reamping)
    if you select the spdif as input, the your guitar won´t send a signal to your kemper (and you won´t hear anything/won´t get a signal out of the kemper to the RME)
    you don´t have to configure anything on the kemper, what goes out of the main outs goes out of the spdif as well (except for the main-out eqs)

• Sounds good, let me check without the spdif input box checked now. Im so unsure of how to set the matrix up right now... Im getting tired and worn out (11pm German time). Wish this stuff came to me alot easier.

• Thank you, I also have those cables... but I was more or less trying to use the SPDIF capabilities through the ADAT2 connection between my Maudio CO2 and my Kemper SPDIF.

• Just use the RCS to AES connectors... No point using some external box to convert for optical. The AES will be just as good.

• Hi there,

i only own a RME HDSP PCI Card, so i didnt know about that AES connection possibility. But the SPDIF converter method should also work.

The only things i could think of are that either the ADAT input that your SPDIF Signal is coming trough is not yet configured to SPDIF mode. This can be done inside the driver settings. Also double check that you used the converter in the right direction. Most of those simple converters only work in one direction.

I would also suggest that you try a cross check. Do you have any A/V Receiver or digital recorder that you could try to check it the KPA SPDIF signal is coming through? If i remember correctly you can also adjust the SPDIF level on the KPA. Some early users also reported that their SPDIF didnt work before they would do a kind o reset.

Hope to see you get it running soon...

• Can you please tell me how to access the driver settings on the UFX please? I feel like this equipment might be going to waste since I should be able to use the original cables I bought for the AES to spdif. Not mad or anything, I just want to use the converter now with adat to see if it actually works since I bought the cables and the converter.