Profiler sound problem

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    so i did another little recording this time not using SPDIF completely removing SPDIF from the equation. This one i recorded using a standard XLR cable from MAIN OUT direct into channel one on my interface. The signal was insanely hot! i had to put the interface input gain on zero :O i tried LINE and INSTRUMENT both unstable so i turned down the main volume out on the kemper -18 and Master volume down to 6.0 whilst the input volume on the interface remained at 0. Surely that aint normal right? haha. Anyway here is the XLR clip and listen for the single notes its plain as day just slightly behind the actual profile is that phazy pew pew digital static. I was beginning to think maybe fret buzz so i raised my action the thing is like a friggin cello now haha and its still there.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is the same profile but with the amp switched OFF i cant seem to find that pew pew glitchy noise whenever i use a clean tone its always just distorted tones...with ALL distorted tones.

so i did another little recording this time not using SPDIF completely removing SPDIF from the equation. This one i recorded using a standard XLR cable from MAIN OUT direct into channel one on my interface. The signal was insanely hot! i had to put the interface input gain on zero :O i tried LINE and INSTRUMENT both unstable so i turned down the main volume out on the kemper -18 and Master volume down to 6.0 whilst the input volume on the interface remained at 0. Surely that aint normal right? haha. Anyway here is the XLR clip and listen for the single notes its plain as day just slightly behind the actual profile is that phazy pew pew digital static. I was beginning to think maybe fret buzz so i raised my action the thing is like a friggin cello now haha and its still there.

Whislt you want to get this to work with the KPA, Im 99% sure its nothing to do with it.

However, I think taking SPDIF out of the equation is the right move, at least for now. You need to send the same signal level you would for a PA so yes it should be -12db at least to avoid the signal being too hot.

The issue I had was slightly different - I got ghost notes i.e. normal sound and then a background of clean guitar. I got this mainly on a plugin through my DAW BUT the issue turned out to be focusrite not playing nicely with the sound card. And to be clear, my main problem came when I had 2 sources - me playing along with an MP3 or youtube, so not quite the same issue.

I messed around with ASIOforAll and the various settings in focusrite control until it freakishly worked.

I think its unlikely to be Cubase itself, this is all about settings and routing I think. Personally I'd focus back on the area you were looking at before.

What I found amazing is that so many people use the Focusrite stuff with pro tools like Cubase and Abeleton and yet no-one was able to solve my problem or even replicate the issue.

Feel your pain dude!

• This one i recorded using a standard XLR cable from MAIN OUT direct into channel one on my interface. The signal was insanely hot!

I'm not in my studio right now, so I didn't listen to your clip (yet). But what I can tell you for sure is that you should NOT go with a line level signal into the XLR inputs of your audio interface. While the Profiler provides a pretty hot line level output on its XLR outputs, most audio interfaces with combo jacks (yours included) expect line level signals through TRS and mic level through XLR.

There are cables that go from XLR female to TRS. But before you go and buy, use a regular guitar cable from the TS outputs of your Profiler into the audio interface. It's an unbalanced connection but that doesn't matter (for now).

I will listen to your clip a bit later and hopefully write something meaningful about that. :)

• i too think its insane with the amount of people on Earth in the music community who use Focusrite combined with Cubase havent jumped in on the thread its even more bonkers i seem to be the one person on Earth with this problem hahaha everytime i do a google search to try and get some info i end up just finding my own posts lol it HAS to be a conflict of interface and PC soundcard its like they are fighting each other but i cant figure it out...yet ;)

Using TS cable (didnt have a TRS cable at hand) from MAIN OUT LEFT red button thing (ground) not pushed in. Main volume set at -12db MASTER VOLUME at 10. Direct Volume and Monitor Volume OFF. MAIN OUTPUT set to Master Stereo. Ive just noticed! if im recording in MONO does my Main Output have to be set to Master Mono or is Master stereo just the same? Also ive just realised when i was recording SPDIF in MONO the output was set to MASTER STEREO...jeez a man could go insane with all these in outs and shake it all abouts haha.

• if im recording in MONO does my Main Output have to be set to Master Mono or is Master stereo just the same?

Since we don't yet know if there's still any stereo effect in the signal chain (either a post-stack effects slot or a global "Space" effect), you rather select "Master Mono" for the MAIN OUTPUT.

While we're at it, check the OUTPUT menu of your Profiler:

Page 6/9 "Output AddOns": Turn the "Space" parameter all the way down to 0

Page 7/9 "Aux In": Turn "Aux In->Main" all the way down to OFF

If all of the above is done, everything SHOULD be fine. To be honest, your latest clip sounded pretty good already even though its level is quite low. It peaks at -8.8dB. But you shouldn't worry about that low level for now. Keep it as is. :)

• Thats great to know it sounded pretty good :) all of those setting were already done except the Aux In Main but ive now turned it off. My output page must be set up different to yours it only goes to page 8.

• So!...

i think ive nailed the problem...its my guitars...they need a setup. I think...well im now convinced its the setup. The more im digging into the problem the more im really starting to notice stuff. Stuff thats happening to my guitar that i never heard previously and just blamed it on everything else. So i unplugged my guitar from everything walked away from my studio guitar in hand into a quiet room with a cuppa tea put the neck right up to my ear and played through every note on every string up and down the fret board and something was happening i never realised before. Ya ready for it? BUZZ! subtle but its there and it was happening quite a lot. Subtle some frets a bit more than others but it was there pewing away. I did the same with my other guitars and guess what? BUZZ pew pew Bzzz. Same scenario so subtle but it was there. I couldnt really hear it with a clean tone i just put it down to the twang of new strings but as soon as any distortion entered the chain it was THERE!! but i thought it was everything else so i instantly put the idea out my head that it could be the guitar. The lower notes of the guitar the Pewpew hid well maybe my ear couldnt detect those frequencies through the monitors but as i got midd way to higher frets/frequencies thats when the PEWBZZZ (think im gonna call it D*ckhair from now on hahaha) was really starting to let itself be known

Another forum member mentioned in this feed the possibilty of fretbuzz and it kinda planted the seed in my head so i thank you! fingers crossed this is the problem because as you wonderfully patient dudes know EVERYTHING else has been tried and tested lol.

Yes the pewpew is there through the headphone of the kemper even when i disconnect my kemper and go direct through the interface and use neural dsp plugin in cubase its there...guitar fret buzz right? time to go to my local guitar store and get my babies looked at.

• many times it's a simple truss rod adjustment.

Fret the low e in the first and last fret and look at the 8th fret area, there should be just a tiny bit of space, like the thickness of a piece of paper or similar.

If that's o.k. the individual string height/bridge height needs adjustment.

It's fairly easy to do and often costs quite a bit without the professional results being any better.

A guitar player should strive to be able to set up his/her own instrument (I think). ;)

• Im not really confident enough to adjust the truss rods so to avoid any possible damage i would rather take it to someone with knowledge. I think the string gauge may be a big factor in the adjustment too. I have a bad habit of switching gauges trying to figure out what works best and dont really take into consideration the effect that would have on the setup thank goodness my local store aint too expensive and at least then i know it will be done properly and i can relax and not worry about me possibly ( more than likely) creating more problems even damaging my guitars.

I am learning and breaking bad habits though.

• Im not really confident enough to adjust the truss rods so to avoid any possible damage i would rather take it to someone with knowledge. I think the string gauge may be a big factor in the adjustment too. I have a bad habit of switching gauges trying to figure out what works best and dont really take into consideration the effect that would have on the setup thank goodness my local store aint too expensive and at least then i know it will be done properly and i can relax and not worry about me possibly ( more than likely) creating more problems even damaging my guitars.

I am learning and breaking bad habits though.

Honestly, adjusting a truss rod is so simple and important that every guitarist should be able to do it themselves. You won't do any damage as long à you make small adjustments. Just remember "lefty loosey, righty righty"

Put a capo on the first fret and hold down the last fret. Tighten or loosen the the truss rod by a quarter turn or less. Retune the guitar and recheck the gap at the 8th fret . Has it increased or decreased? Adjust again and re check. A et of feeler gauges is a really useful tool for this (but by no means essential). If you change string gauge you probably need to readjust the truss rod. As someone who says that they change gauge frequently you need to learn to do this yourself.

You won't do and damage unless you go totally mental and turn the rid a few full rotations without checking. Take is slowly and check progress frequently - it isn't rocket science.tale that form someone who has been playing for nearly 40 years and is currently 3 years into a four year college course in stringed instrument making and repair. I could make a lot of money by convincing guitarists that truss rod adjustment is a black art that only professional Luthiers can carry out but it just isn't true .

• All of the above. But I would keep it "less". 1/8 of a turn max. This is what my LTD needs from season to season. And if you have to use excessive force - then don't.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I think the string gauge may be a big factor in the adjustment too. I have a bad habit of switching gauges trying to figure out what works best and dont really take into consideration the effect that would have on the setup

That will do it for sure. Aside from the slight change in string diameter there's a significant change in tensioning, which basically means the curve of the neck will shift.

There's definitely something to be said for a pro setup - someone that has a lot of experience and all the tools can make your guitar a real joy to play. However, it's also true that it's not that hard to adjust the action. You need to find the correct truss rod wrench (and it doesn't have to be a "truss rod wrench", but there are a few different ways they're made and you need one that fits correctly that you can turn when it's in place). I'd get the feeler gauges too - you can ballpark it without one, but honestly they're super cheap and will last forever.

• That will do it for sure. Aside from the slight change in string diameter there's a significant change in tensioning, which basically means the curve of the neck will shift.

There's definitely something to be said for a pro setup - someone that has a lot of experience and all the tools can make your guitar a real joy to play. However, it's also true that it's not that hard to adjust the action. You need to find the correct truss rod wrench (and it doesn't have to be a "truss rod wrench", but there are a few different ways they're made and you need one that fits correctly that you can turn when it's in place). I'd get the feeler gauges too - you can ballpark it without one, but honestly they're super cheap and will last forever.

Although im sure i need a slight setup/adjustment it aint anything major on any of my guitars i no longer think a setup will correct the problem i have. I recorded a little piece to show exactly what the problem is. There is clearly a glitch or a problem with communication between in's and out's that i cant quite figure out. Its not an EQ problem or cab problem or any kind of adjustment problem its certainly a connection problem that i just cant figure out lol

External Content soundcloud.com

So here is little recording I've just done to show the "glitch" i no longer think its an intonation problem or badly setup guitars it is 100% a connection problem with the In's and Out's a miscommunication from the kemper to interface from interface to DAW and back out. Everything seems correct when i check connections but i have clearly missed something somewhere. This noise can NOT be fixed with EQ or cab IR's or any kind of adjustment on the kemper or DAW EQ etc. it is embedded in the signal and wont be fixed by such adjustments trust me i have tried lol. The nasty problem is in ALL of my profiles especialy distorted profiles using ALL of my guitars. The clip contains a commercial profile and then cuts to the problem and A/B's it. Its clear as day there is communication problem somewhere between units. There is NO clipping anywhere but even if there was a clipping situation this is not a clipping noise. To me it sounds like the kemper is sending the complete profile WITH cab but also sending a second signal (the same profile) without a cab...its horrendous and frustrating.

EDIT: It also does this when my monitors are directly plugged into my kemper.