20,000 Rigs under the sea....

• So currently Rig Manager lists over 20,000 Rigs available on line; to tell you the truth I am completely overwhelmed. How do you people deal with all of this? I am thinking it might be great if you can apply filters to limit what is downloaded to your computer whenever you run RM- maybe (for example) limit how far back in time (how useful are Rigs from 2012?). This is almost as intimidating as the 10,000+ presets in Spectrasonics Omnisphere VST, but at least you can constrain your searches based on names, types (pads vs leads vs basses, for example), author, etc., etc. Apologies if this is a relatively naive question...:/

• I am thinking it might be great if you can apply filters to limit what is downloaded to your computer whenever you run RM...

IMHO it's better this way. Searches will provide instant results and accessibility (being able to play right-away) if the whole collection is downloaded first.

This is almost as intimidating as the 10,000+ presets in Spectrasonics Omnisphere VST, but at least you can constrain your searches based on names, types (pads vs leads vs basses, for example), author, etc., etc. Apologies if this is a relatively naive question... :/

You can do this in RM too. Amp and cabinet names, instrument type via column sorting along with amp channels and other useful info.

... maybe (for example) limit how far back in time (how useful are Rigs from 2012?)...

You can sort by upload time - most-recent first or reversed if you click the column again.

Oh, and Rigs from 2012 aren't any less-relevant. Arguably the most-popular of all time happens to be from that era - rmpacheco's Morgan AC20 from... you guessed it, 2012.

• Oh, and Rigs from 2012 aren't any less-relevant. Arguably the most-popular of all time happens to be from that era - rmpacheco's Morgan AC20 from... you guessed it, 2012.

This! Actually Kemper profiles are definitely a case in which "newer is automatically better" certainly does not apply. Yes, we guitar players are always on a tone chase and yes there might be a better profile than the one we have already. But hey, let's make music instead of chasing the final 5% with a lot of time and effort...

So currently Rig Manager lists over 20,000 Rigs available on line; to tell you the truth I am completely overwhelmed. How do you people deal with all of this?

Don't try them all. Search more focused for what you're after with the filters that are there. Or look at the "hidden gems" thread here in the forum. That gives already a good selection :thumbup:8)

• BTW, 20,000 rigs is not even enough to totally profile an amp from 1 to 10 on the gain knob and 1 to 10 on the volume knob. I think you need 100,000 rigs or more. :P Just wait until your grandkids have to select one of them on the Kemper 2050.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Welcome to the kemper rabbit hole 😂.

Just narrow your search by amps, cabs, name.

If you like a profiler, search his name. Etc etc

Sometimes I just order them by date and randomly scroll and click ^^.

• Once you have narrowed your selections with searches, use the column headers to sort. For example, if you narrowed selection to only Marshall JMP amp use sort by Gain to go from cleanest to dirtiest or click again to go from dirtiest to cleanest. You can use this sort of sorting on any column to easy finding stuff. Another example using Amp as the search might be to sort by Author to see all rigs that a specific Author has made of that amp. Obviously the same result could be achieved by Searching for a specific Author then sorting by Amp etc.

• also remember to give each Profile a fair chance. Your ears need to adjust to the often completely different sound.

Work out what each sound is good for, take notes.

Flicking through sounds going 'Not it, not it, nope...' won't get you anywhere.

And when you give a profile a fair chance you might discover you actually like it and your first impression that it sucked was wrong. And what sounds best in solo will most of the time not work in a band/mix contest. I have profiles i like solo but know they won't work in any mix and use other profiles for that.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• And when you give a profile a fair chance you might discover you actually like it and your first impression that it sucked was wrong. And what sounds best in solo will most of the time not work in a band/mix contest. I have profiles i like solo but know they won't work in any mix and use other profiles for that.

yep!

Those lovely fat,beefy full of everything profiles that we love at home turn into mud live lol.

• It's all about context.

The sounds on ZZTop's Rhythmeen are so bass and mid heavy and thick that they shouldn't work, but they are among the most glorious guitar tones ever recorded.

yes of course!

I just forgot that sometimes and I’m too much focused on my work lol.