How to get a tone you want by kemper

• Hi I am a beginner for Kemper, I am just wondering when you hear a song and want to play it, how to find or make a similar profile, as sometimes the band or the song is not very classic or famous.

Cheers

• Use your ears and/or do a bit of research about the amp in question.

search for it in Rig Manager, but be aware that users don't always spell names/models 100% correctly, so also use shorter search strings and select rigs manually.

Find the correct gain range, duplicate any obvious effect choices (if any) and be more concerned about your playing than the small details of the tone - your audience certainly will be.

• ... and be more concerned about your playing than the small details of the tone - your audience certainly will be.

Do not underestimate this. So many people who played EVH's rigs but couldn't understand why they didn't sound like them.

90% of your sound comes from your fingers.

• Also keep in mind that a professionally recorded song will have so many additional variables that shape the guitar tone. Not just the guitar, amp, mic, speaker, and room acoustics, but how the guitar tracks were layered, EQ and compression added in the mixing process, and additional EQ, comp, and limiting added in mastering.

Speaking of layering, it's a common practice to record multiple guitar tracks of the same part using different guitars and different amps. So what you hear on the final product will likely be several amps and several guitars layered at once.

Heck, even pick choice drastically affects tone. So my point is like others above = try to get in the same ballpark, but don't stress about getting it identical, because you can't.

• When you play cover songs live, the audience does the "tone match" for you. As long as you play the song correctly timed and note-wise, people who know the song well will hear the original version play out in their head along with the cover performance. Everyone does this even you and me. So don't fret over tone. Fret over the notes.

You can also play a cover with a totally different tone and technique and make it better than the original. Some examples are VH - You Really Got Me, Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower, Pat Travers - Born Under a Bad Sign, etc.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• When you play cover songs live, the audience does the "tone match" for you. As long as you play the song correctly timed and note-wise, people who know the song well will hear the original version play out in their head along with the cover performance. Everyone does this even you and me. So don't fret over tone. Fret over the notes.

Great way to put it!