Monitor output level

• Just wondering what most people set their monitor output levels at?, I have a power rack and use a 2 x 12 cab loaded with two celestion FRFR speakers.

My main output volume is set at -18 db should I set my monitor output at the same level?, I've seen that a lot of people run monitor outputs at around -12 db, what is the advantage of this?

• Hi, Dai,

Since I run the monitor for me (and whoever else is on the stage), I just turn up the monitor level 'til it sounds right for the moment. I don't look at the value on the display.

• The only advantage is that -12 is louder than -18db. Like ST said. Just set it to the level that is good for you and not too loud for other bandmates.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for that, its more about the level of signal hitting my monitors, I run my Kemper three different ways.

1, home use and online teaching, for this I run from the Kemper's quarter inch monitor out into an interface and into two studio monitors (It's this application where I find I'm getting some buzzing, especially in the low end and more high gain profiles, like its peaking, but it's not that loud.)

2. Live, where I run it into a 2 x 12 cab at 4ohms with two celestion FRFR speakers that are 200 watts each.

3. I occasionally run it through the effects return of a 100 watt Marshall and a 4 x 12 cab from the monitor out and turn off the cab sim.

I'm just wondering if I would get a better result with mainly options 1 and 3 if the monitor out signal was -18 rather than -12.

Thanks guys, appreciate your advice.

• Just wondering what most people set their monitor output levels at?, I have a power rack and use a 2 x 12 cab loaded with two celestion FRFR speakers.

My main output volume is set at -18 db should I set my monitor output at the same level?, I've seen that a lot of people run monitor outputs at around -12 db, what is the advantage of this?

I think you are potentially mixing up 2 things:

For output to a PA system through the main outputs it need to be set at -12db in order not to fry the desk.

For speaker output ( red ring) , that is managed by the master volume and power amp boost. This can be set to taste as long as you don;t blow the speakers.

Most people unlink the volumes as they rarely need to be in sync.