New rig! Best way to connect and record?

• Hi guys!

I recently bought the lovely Kemper and now I want to connect it to Reaper (to begin with) and start recording!

I'm using Line 6 UX1 audio interface that does not have spdif jack.

Would the best course of action be to buy an interface with spdif or is there a way to connect my rig as it is?

If a spdif interface is recommended, which one should i get? From the little research i did so far i like these options the best:

ZOOM U-44

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen or Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen (which one is better and why!? i cant figure it out)

MOTU 4PRE

RME Fireface UCX - this one is really expensive (~1k euro) but seems like the best option.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I am really new to this, practically clueless.

Thanks!!

• Everything depends what is the most convenient for you. My bias recommendation for a spdif audio interface is spl crimson. Superior headphone preamp too if you need to record silent or listening. Focusrite is the most used and popular brand. But beware many have complained about their drivers. I once had a focusrite and the drivers were the reason I sold it and got a spl instead.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Eh, convenience is such a broad term :) Im not a professional musician, just doing this for fun so i dont need anything fancy. SPL is almost 3 times more expensive than the focusrite so i guess price is a factor though i might chose to splurge for something special!

• Thats true... its 3x Focusrite while RME is 4x Focusrite! Thats pretty much the reason why im here trying to figure out if i really need to splurge for the higher end stuff if the Focusrite 8i6 or 6i6 will do the trick while not costing me an arm and a leg :)

Or if i even need the spdif jacks? Can i use the Kemper with my Line6 UX1? For recording that is..

• Sure you can use the line6 for recording. I had one like that years ago. I remember the quality was very low though. If you decide to skip spdif you need a interface with enough ins and outs.

Henry David Thoreau

• Line 6 UX1 audio interface is a USB device, soo.... Connect a usb cable between the interface and computer. Make sure you have the proper driver so that the device is recognized by the computer. If the computer recognizes it Reaper will too. Very basic stuff and more than enough Reaper tutorials on You Tube that explain it.

Nobody needs spdif. Spdif is an acronym for Sony /Phillips Digital Inter-Face. In other words a propitiatory system designed by greedy companies to profit themselves. It costs more because that's the way they designed it.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• No, but please tell me why YOU "need" spdif . My Kemper Stage does not have spdif. What makes it any better than any other digital audio standard?

• No, but please tell me why YOU "need" spdif . My Kemper Stage does not have spdif. What makes it any better than any other digital audio standard?

I don't need to justify anything to you. Over and out.

Henry David Thoreau

• Basically, SPDIF is extremely robust when it comes to external interference. If you transmit via fiber optics, you are protected to the greatest possible extent against electromagnetic influences.

For this reason I use it between the PC and the mixer, since the graphics card of the PC causes interference.

For the stage this is meaningless.

• I would. ;) and get a Motu M4! See this thread...

How to Reamp Kemper with Reaper (non-SPDIF Method) Tutorial..

Thanks MasterTexan :) However, since my Line6 does not have the necessary 4i4 and I need to buy a new one anyway I thought I should go with one that has spdif to make everything easier, and for the connection to have better quality? Essentially looking for a "best" option since I don't plan to change it anytime soon, maybe not ever. That being said, from my research it looks like a spdif interface would be the easiest for me to hook up and use with Reaper?

ZOOM U-44 - ~120euros is the cheapest and it looks like it fits all my needs though i heard the quality of Zoom interfaces is questionable.

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre - I can get a new one for ~240euros though this is kind of an old device? And I only see one optical input (is that opcital spdif? I would need an optical to coaxial converter as Kemper only has coax jacks?)? How do does that work with Kemper? I have no idea.

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen - About the same price as the above, im thinking this might be my best option?

Anyway, i am a total noob to all of this! So any and all advice is greatly appreciated <3

• I personally would upgrade my Motu M4 to the Motu Mk5 whenever I go to SPDIF but it's not necessary to get good quality recordings. TS/XLR does perfectly fine. SPDIF does make hooking up easier because you just need two SPDIF connections; one in and one out, and you can save your TS/XLR inputs for mics. So, make sure the interface has a SPDIF In and an Out like on the Scarlett 8i6.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• From the looks of it ill most likely go for Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. It fits all my needs, doesnt require adapters and is really cheap (~250euro).

I guess ill be back when i fail to hook it up :D

Thank you for your time!

• My apologies, I misspoke , My Kemper Stage does have spdif in/out. I can't use it though because there is nothing in my studio to connect it to.

• Essentially looking for a "best" option since I don't plan to change it anytime soon, maybe not ever.

You get what you pay for. ;)

If the above is what you really want, you already mentioned RME and you already stated "seems like the best option".

Well, what do you wait for then? ;)

You want cheaper but same quality? Ain't gonna happen.

• You get what you pay for. ;)

If the above is what you really want, you already mentioned RME and you already stated "seems like the best option".

Well, what do you wait for then? ;)

You want cheaper but same quality? Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah I agree with you, you get what you pay for.

But the main question for me is: With what % of the "main thing" are you satisficed with?? For example: My bass is 5 string Sterling by Music Man. Of course its not THE Music Man but its like 90% of the original quality and I paid 1/4 of the Music Man price. I'm not gonna pay 1k euros for the RME when I can get the same function (SPDIF) from a ~250e Focusrite. Especially since I'm only going to be recording for my soul.

Don't get me wrong, if I was rich I would go for the best stuff for sure :) Alas, I live in a 3rd world country and have a family to support.