All profiles sound muffled

• Hi, not the first time I’ve come accross this but couldn't find an explanation that hit the spot. Ever since i first played the kemper stage browsing through all the profiles i felt like there was a distinct lack of any high end in any of them. I know its all personal taste but if thats the case then surely i would come across someone with the same taste at some point? Not so so far. Just paid for some profiles by Bert Meulendik profiling his bognor extacy. Sounds great on youtube as do most others i hear. Ive never heard someone play a stock profile on youtube that sounds the way mine do. Ive been able to get pleasing sounds by rolling off all the bass and cranking the mids highs and presence on the stack, studio eq and output. I know its personal preference but no one else ive seen has to have such extreme eq settings to get a nice bright sound. Ive tried a couple of guitars main one is a strat elite. Just really frustrating. Its like i hear the character of the profiles but the speaker has a blanket over it. Any advice?

• I can try that. What global settings might make the kemper behave this way?

Thanks

output settings,cab settings,input settings,i recommend you to do a Kemper factory reset

always do a kemper backup.,sometimes Kemper update mess with my kemper settings

a friend of mine had the same issue and he sold the Kemper,2 weeks ago he bought the kemper again and now everyday he is sending me messages that he love the Kemper,i told him..told you many times to do a factory reset and he anwser was yes bro i was wrong,

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

Edited 2 times, last by Ni6htWalker ().

• Advice: Do whatever you need to do to make a profile sound good to you, and don't worry how someone else sets it (not even the rig author).

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Just paid for some profiles by Bert Meulendik profiling his bognor extacy. Sounds great on youtube as do most others i hear. Ive never heard someone play a stock profile on youtube that sounds the way mine do. Ive been able to get pleasing sounds by rolling off all the bass and cranking the mids highs and presence on the stack, studio eq and output.

I have that pack too but definitely don’t notice any lack of high end. Sounds really good to me. Not sure what the problem is at your end but something sounds off.

• “I have that pack too but definitely don’t notice any lack of high end. Sounds really good to me. Not sure what the problem is at your end but something sounds off.

Yes i suspected so. Would you say that they sound pretty much like his youtube demo without any alterations? Assuming your using a comparable guitar. Mine all sound like my tone knob is rolled all the way off definitely something not right. Its probably a simple thing but its always been that way out of the box which i find strange. Maybe another reset will help Im away with it at the moment but will try when i get home. I just want to have the same experience as everyone else seems to be having ha ha.

Cheers

• Strange because Bert’s profiles are my number one profiles after trying and spending a lot of money on other profilers.

His demo are really what you get. The only factor is really the guitar he plays on his demo.

I also have the BEC pack and this year my main tour guitar is a 50th anniversary strat with jb jr on the bridge and 2 Texas Special. The only real difference is the pickups tone compared to him but the tone is there.

Did you try a full reset? Are you sure you don’t have a parameter locked anywhere.

If it was another profiler, I would say « yeah normal » but coming from Bert it’s strange.

• Thanks Joshua. Yeh i suspected that the profile is not the problem either.. if the cab section was locked on a particularly dark speaker then that would make total sense to me based on what they all seem to sound like i hope it is that i cant wait to join you guys in tone city 😑 as intuitive as the kemper is i am a little overwhelmed by it sometimes. I guess that’s the price you pay for having as much control over the sound as you get. Ill get there i certainly don’t want rid i know what it’s capable of. Quick side note. When you save a setting of a rig in performance mode and it says exported to browser pool. What does that mean? I can see that it changes the rig in that performance but the original profile seems to be unaltered is that the case? Thank you everyone for all the responses its very much appreciated 👍

• Rigs in Performance mode and Browser mode are completely independent. You can make changes to a rig in Performance mode without affecting the original rig in Browser mode. The Export to Browser Pool allows you to add a copy of the edited rig from a Performance to the Browser pool.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case but thought it was strange that it didnt ask me to name it to differentiate between them as i guess i will have about 50 copies of the same rig with slight differences all called the same thing in my pool now 🤷‍♂️ not really a problem i suppose.

• Yes, that is a major issue with Kemper’s saving methodology which drives me mad. You can have as many rigs as you want all called the same thing. You could name every single rig “my rig” if you wanted to have 1,000 rigs with the same name. The only way to differentiate is to look at the time stamp. Your best bet is to save then rename it in the browser pool. Its a tome consuming and unnecessary step but Kemper don’t seem to get it. Burkhard compares it to the way windows and mac OS will let you save a duplicate and automatically append a suffix; like my rig becomes myrig(1), myrig(2) etc. The Kemper OS should do this also as there is absolutely zero benefits from the current system.

• Yes, that is a major issue with Kemper’s saving methodology which drives me mad. You can have as many rigs as you want all called the same thing. You could name every single rig “my rig” if you wanted to have 1,000 rigs with the same name. The only way to differentiate is to look at the time stamp. Your best bet is to save then rename it in the browser pool. Its a tome consuming and unnecessary step but Kemper don’t seem to get it. Burkhard compares it to the way windows and mac OS will let you save a duplicate and automatically append a suffix; like my rig becomes myrig(1), myrig(2) etc. The Kemper OS should do this also as there is absolutely zero benefits from the current system.

Yeah. Let's actually go there again. It bothers me on a weekly basis. At this point there must be a technical reason not to fix it, because it seems like such a no-brainer.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I have some BM profiles. IMO they are in the MB territory. Not really bright or sharp in the top end but sound great loud through a P.A. that has blazing horns and hi fidelity. I have some Tone Junkie that sound really really good but are super bright and clear compared to the former I named. When A/Bing them it appears that the BM and MB profiles have a "blanket over them" compared to the super clear Tone Junkies stuff. (Rock Pack). One might think that would be better but you won't really know until they are cranked up through a P.A if that's your endgame. Often "bright and clear" becomes "strident and grating" when blasted through a huge HiFi P.A. Many People have Confirmed MB profiles sound amazing through a pro P.A (even though compared in studio to some others as being "blanket over them") I myself have been perplexed by this and have realized the only way I can truly judge a rig is by hearing it in it's end result; in a track or blasted through a P.A. and going out front to see what if anything needs adjusted.