Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Love the latin touch.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Really good period piece of the 60's. I see some gents at the bar smoking cigarettes, snapping their fingers, and sucking down Boilermakers after working the docks in NYC to that tune.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Todays noodle, more gentle surf totally not inspired by any seminal 80's indie bands at all

External Content soundcloud.com

• Thanks Monkey_Man I tried to make todays lead more "intentional" to try and give it more form. I'm still working on trying to create depth and range on my tracks. Loud I think I've made good progress on, nuance not so much, so any hints of how to get that depth without sacrificing punch would be most welcome.

• Well, you know what I always say regarding punch bro' - less compression.

Dynamics actually help with depth 'cause the softer a signal the further-away it appears to be.

Less 'verb up-front. Spread it around the instruments, high-passing the returns and minimising tail lengths so you can get away with more individually-tailored spaces without creating mud. ER's are your friend. Tails aren't even necessary half the time.

• Dynamics actually help with depth 'cause the softer a signal the further-away it appears to be.

Just to clarify this one a little mate:

When an instrument's volume lowers one finds oneself "listening in". One of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition is "Whisper your way to success". Speaking more-quietly forces the listener to pay attention.

Thus, more dynamics across the instrument spectrum will see listeners peering into the depth of the soundstage. The variable lower volume of instruments will also of course give a psychoacoustic impression of forward<->backward presence, which is how I'd assume most would've taken the statement in my previous post, hence my addition of the aforementioned tidbit regarding drawing the listener in.

Haven't seen this in any book; it just makes sense to me. HTH Brother Per.

• Thanks. Yeah makes sense.

There are some productions I hear where the relative dynamics of instruments seem extremely massive but still sounds rich, I’ve noticed that when you push an instrument back by lowering the fader it often sounds thinner not just quieter.

So for example if you have your drums and vocals up front then push your guitar and bass back the overall richness of the mix drops, they begin to sound like they were recorded through a telephone!

That’s why I like compression because it brings it back to an extent, what I don’t like is that it does it by killing dynamics.

There are a bunch of tricks I hear on high quality recordings that I don’t know what they’re doing to achieve. I think it’s also related to the ability they have to e.g. have a soft sounding bass that apparently lacks treble and mids, sounds low volume in the mix, yet is very present and clearly defined which is itself some sort of trick even before you get to how it does this all the whole competing against kicks and other bass heavy sounds in the mix.

A lot of it seems to run counter to my existing experience which is that richer and better sounding mix is based on the quality of the tracking and arrangement. These pro mixes just don’t seem to care, yet they still have that clarity, separation and sense of depth without sounding thin, and still have very loud up front elements simultaneously.

Really just an exercise in trying to develop some sort of depth range within a mix where there are relatively loud and quiet elements. To that end after Monkey_Man 's advice I added no compression at all anywhere on this track in an attempt to try and build dynamic range, obviously there's not much I can do about the obvious compression on the SD drum samples but at least on every synth, the bass and guitar there's none. The goal wasn't to remove loudness in any case but to handle it and try to deliver depth at the same time.

I tried a few things, not just reducing volume of the non-drum tracks to try and push them back but also using reverb on some guitar elements, eq on the bass to try and work as close to the limits of reducing bass frequencies and keeping it up in the mix enough to be present while keeping it fluffy and soft (SVT profile). Carving the crap out of lower mids on the guitar to kill mud and anything messing with the bass....

in the end I'm not sure any of these approaches worked. The trouble is I think it's too sterile and still doesn't sound like it's got any more depth than what I usually do.

• Very transparent and well mixed despite all your doubts Per. Couldn't hear it on my studio monitors yet to assess how the lack of compression really plays with some instruments. Bass is not an easy one here I'd say. That first minute of the track is really attracting me... nice intro :thumbup:8)

• Try adding more low end thump to the drums to soften them up and then see if the instruments show depth. That would be the first thing my noob ass would try. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.