Per collection thread

• BayouTexan it’s a full on wah part, I set up the tone to have a metallic sound by sending it straight into a chorus and adjusting the peak to be more intense.

Monkey_Man I hear you brother. The trouble is I want vocals in there but my voice is excruciatingly bad so it’s a matter of finding the compromise between where a good vocal would sit which is better for the mix (up front and not exactly dry but less long tails fx) or a good sound for the track which has the vocals pushed behind and mixed in with the guitars.

• I knew it was driven by that "hatred" of your voice brother; I assumed that from the start.

Thing is, ironically, the large amount of 'verb you were using draws attention to the vox, but not necessarily in the best way.

Think of how a little delay can bring a shitty guitar part to life. A little short plate / small room 'verb and said delay will make your vox gel with just about any mix IMHO. Just be sure to try shortening or removing the 'verb tail first; you might be surprised.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I realized the verse start/end were a chordal palindrome, the reversal made for an interesting tension/release.

Any verb on the vocals is just from the master bus, apart from that I thought I was tracking with the helios 69 (my favorite of the UAD mic preamps) and c-suite on it, but apparently they were turned off, so it's actually just raw from the mic with zero processing at that end or on the channel.

There's some generally light processing on the master - Capitol Chambers for a transparent "cohesion" reverb, then a tape plugin which is really only used for it's handy Vu meter so I can level the output, followed by an EQ where I pushed the treble and cut some mids, and finally BX master-desk that I use because it has a tool that takes all really low frequencies and pans them dead center which helps reduce mush a little and it also has a hopefully not too dreadfully heavy handed compression.

Having said that I realize the vocals do sound compressed, but they also sound that way without the master stuff on so I suspect it's a byproduct of me being so close I was pretty much eating the mic while recording. I was using it off-axis slightly to try and reduce plosives, breaths and sibilance, which lead to an interestingly slightly muffled sound (part of what I recovered with the treble push on the master), I wasn't expecting that level of rejection.

• Any verb on the vocals is just from the master bus, apart from that I thought I was tracking with the helios 69 (my favorite of the UAD mic preamps) and c-suite on it, but apparently they were turned off, so it's actually just raw from the mic with zero processing at that end or on the channel.

... and we finally have a result where the notes themselves are obvious and not buried somewhere, obscured from all but the most-diligent scrutiny.

IMHO of course brother. Great man. 8):thumbup:

That's not too mention the fact that you now have front-to-back depth. I don't do cheques, but you can send me some German brew. :D

• Sounds fab Per , a really great laid back track. Vocals sounded great as is and when everything came in it was just uplifting. Brilliant as always

• Thanks Monkey_Man I’ll be sure to get you a round if we ever get to meet!

Thanks deadman42 yeah it does, it’s good for the mix according to monkey_man I just wish my voice were up to the task and less annoying and annoyingly amateur sounding.

Thanks Franjoe30 I do like orchestral arrangements now and then :)

• Thanks deadman42 yeah it does, it’s good for the mix according to monkey_man I just wish my voice were up to the task and less annoying and annoyingly amateur sounding.

I repeat - delay(!). :D

Thanks Monkey_Man I’ll be sure to get you a round if we ever get to meet!

Just 1 round? Geesh... the pussification of mankind. :D

• Todays I didn't keep the vocals completely unprocessed this time, there's compression, eq and some room sound removal (c-suite Vox), but other than that they only have a light delay on them. I also tried to keep them as up-front as I could handle.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I repeat - delay(!). :D

Just 1 round? Geesh... the pussification of mankind. :D

You just told me to get rid of delay! Anyhow I can't live without it so I brought it back :P. By German brew I assumed you mean sauerkraut right, why would anyone want more than one round of the stuff?

• I think your voice stands out more "verb-less" so to speak. LOL. You don't need the reverb. That tune proves it, IMO. I also think it's the most forward vocals I've heard from you and it works well.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I think your voice stands out more "verb-less" so to speak. LOL. You don't need the reverb. That tune proves it, IMO. I also think it's the most forward vocals I've heard from you and it works well.

Thanks. It's a very modern aesthetic and I'm learning from doing it.