Per collection thread

• You just told me to get rid of delay!

Nooo.... never said that brother; exactly the opposite in fact.

I always said that the 'verb was pushing your vox too-far back into the mix, muddying it up and making the lead vox sound boxy / "not nice".

All along I tried to get you to dial the 'verb back to an absolute minimum, including removing the tail, and instead use delay to help it sit nicely in the mix without pushing it back too much and sounding "honky" (the room-'verb effect), whilst at the same time benefitting from that magical effect delay can have of making your voice sound better.

"Olympians" so far IMHO has been the best example of what I've been trying to get you to do. Excellent man!

Think of how a little delay can bring a shitty guitar part to life. A little short plate / small room 'verb and said delay will make your vox gel with just about any mix IMHO. Just be sure to try shortening or removing the 'verb tail first; you might be surprised.

An example of what I've been saying. Said it many times in different ways.

Rock on Brother Per. 8)

• Thanks Monkey_Man I get what you’re saying and it makes sense for separation, punch and a modern sound. Sometimes though I like a highly reverb drenched sound, the records I listen to are all older, 20-60 years old, they have a lot of reverb, I’d like to get to understand what makes a good emotive vocal reverb. I’d also like to get to understand how to create a full guitar heavy mix, be it metal or rock or punk that doesn’t leave me with anemic guitars if there’s going to be drums and vocals in there.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• todays

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This one marks a year of #noodlechallenge not sure if I've improved any, but I feel like I learnt... things

External Content soundcloud.com

• Congrats! That was no small challenge. I know you've found your niche in certain genres. I can only hope to do so well. But you must continue to deliver some posts and often so we can learnt something too. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Merci beaucoup waraba ! I’ve no idea what’s next, maybe continued noodling, maybe I’ll try and write an actual song, maybe I’ll give it all up.

Thanks BayouTexan ! Not sure about niche yet, I feel I’ve become more pedestrian once I work with vocals so I need to explore more and improve till I break out of that and there’s still a metric ton of work to do on my core musicianship and songwriting skills before I’d be even up to the standard of an average teen band.

Thanks Monkey_Man I certainly learned a lot from your helpful and patient guidance. Mixing and mastering remain dark arts to me but at least now slightly illuminated in corners here and there. So much of it is down to your ear and personal taste, the cream of the crop obviously have that inspired sound in their head. Like I said if we were ever to cross paths I’ll owe you a brew or two.

• This one marks a year of #noodlechallenge not sure if I've improved any, but I feel like I learnt... things

A lot has happened over the last year, and it's been harder to make the time to check in like I used to - but I make a point of listening to your daily noodles - I hope, every one.

Unsolicited thoughts:

Keep singing

Not because you need the practice to get better, but because it can be joyful and inspiring, and human. I like your voice, enjoy your singing, and cringe when you denigrate your voice.

Mixing and Mastering

When I read the comments and suggestions about mixing and mastering, I'm happy for you and grateful to the contributors. I'm glad you have people willing to listen closely, and who care enough about you and your music to offer their impressions, observations, and suggestions.

At the same time, I want to say, "Do what you do, and you be you. If you follow all the rules and conventions, you too can sound like the mass-produced music churned out by the machine."

I'm sure someone famous said something like Learn to play it like they do, and then never do that again.

With great respect Per, congratulations on this milestone.

• Thank you for the wonderfully thoughtful comments ST ! I'm incredibly impressed that you would do such a super kind thing for those people, that's just so cool. It's great advice, I agree it's easy to get lost in a single process or a new tool, but that it's also ok, part of the journey and delivers a different story of its own. In any case everyone else will take what they want from what you produce, our intent only matters for launch; beyond there it's in the lap of the gods.