Per collection thread

• Thanks Monkey_Man , I don’t know what that is. When tried to search the only thing I saw was some plugin called “Flex” for Fruity Loops.

The lead in the middle of the song. Steve Vai's first album, recorded at-home on an 8-track reel-to-reel machine.

Listen to that and then your lead work here and you may be surprised. It's a rare "style" and the "resemblance" is uncanny!

• Oh, I was just using the pedal stop effect. Trying to create some glitchy sounds. Really i wanted a more scratchy (not vinyl scratch) breakup-ish effect, but this with some shapers made something else interesting so i went with it.

• I'm carrying on the empty path of trying to take onboard some pop. Today opting for almost maximum softness. Again not a success, but a continued learning process though my own laziness is fighting it, wanting to return to tropes. I think if I wanted to get it really like pop I'd have to tame the mids and bass a lot, but it's harder to hear that on normal speakers than on crapmac(tm) speakers where it becomes very apparent. I can hear the kind of high girly flute like semi Bjork influenced modern female voice that I would fit over this in my head at least even with this mix.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a really interesting track in many ways. One thing that I like is that the drums are so dry and some other instruments are really ambient. Usually it's done the other way around. But as time has proven, why do the usual when you don't have to.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Todays. I'm attempting to slowly get a handle on more modern pop production aesthetic, albeit I know I will make many mistakes along the way and this is one, ending up much more on the 80's side which obviously is a heavy influence on modern pop but I'd rather figure out what differs with modern pop even when there are guitars involved, starting I guess with more sparse arrangement and more space. Though here perhaps it's too much punch, I notice a lot of Belle & Sebastian style folksy-ness in modern pop too with softer sounds.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If there's one tune I really would like you to develop, this is the one. The energy in the first 19 seconds is off the charts.

I'd really like to know what instruments you used for that?

Cheers,

Mats N

• I'm carrying on the empty path of trying to take onboard some pop. Today opting for almost maximum softness. Again not a success, but a continued learning process though my own laziness is fighting it, wanting to return to tropes. I think if I wanted to get it really like pop I'd have to tame the mids and bass a lot, but it's harder to hear that on normal speakers than on crapmac(tm) speakers where it becomes very apparent. I can hear the kind of high girly flute like semi Bjork influenced modern female voice that I would fit over this in my head at least even with this mix.

This actually reminds me of Steven Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase, its a similar sound sculpture and feel, like a fill in between tracks with a voiceover. The distorted part actually starts off a bit Steve Vai like. Very nice all round Per

• This is a really interesting track in many ways. One thing that I like is that the drums are so dry and some other instruments are really ambient. Usually it's done the other way around. But as time has proven, why do the usual when you don't have to.

Cheers,

Mats N

Thanks, it’s just a Michael Britt fender profile with a vinyl stop effect, and some random bass synth in Reason where I’m more or less doubling the guitar. There’s a chip tune arp that I fade in and out and of course the drums.

This actually reminds me of Steven Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase, it’s a similar sound sculpture and feel, like a fill in between tracks with a voiceover. The distorted part actually starts off a bit Steve Vai like. Very nice all round Per

Thanks, yeah Monkey_Man mentioned, I didn’t realize that was a Vai signature effect. I must confess I’m not super familiar with his catalog being more of a lazy pop-hits guy I’ve heard Eugene’s Trick Bag, the Bill & Ted air guitar work and a few Whitesnake tracks, I don’t know his Zappa or solo work.

• The intro and outro on Min 2 had my ears straining for mids in an uncomfortable way. I assumed you planned it that way.

It's intentional, however your system may need some work if you don't hear mids on that as it's pretty much only mids and bass, while there's a very little bit of super high treble on a sample everything else above around 2.5k is chopped off.

• This time a weak emulation of that mormon pop/indie sound of the last 10 years or so (I'm guessing there's some producer out there behind all the SLC pop bands of the last decade giving it that dubstep rock blend). While none of this is genre I'd listen to, and is practice in the discomfort zone to try and build my ear, it's still annoying to not get it right and elevate it above cliche and parody. A reflection of my lack of skill. I guess I'll carry on.

• It's intentional, however your system may need some work if you don't hear mids on that as it's pretty much only mids and bass, while there's a very little bit of super high treble on a sample everything else above around 2.5k is chopped off

I'm right. I just called it wrong. :) I do casual listening on a Planar system which is all boosted mids and highs. I have a separate sub for the lows.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• External Content soundcloud.com

• Thanks Monkey_Man  BayouTexan & waraba !

I think I’m being about right on myself there Monkey_Man , I firmly believe that every genre exists because there’s at least one excellent piece of music that made it popular enough to become a genre in the first place. That means I have to respect it and try to do right by it even if I personally don’t enjoy it. This is probably conditioning, the viewpoint of a long term professional freelancer dealing with other peoples brands and projects. You have to bring it no matter what, the client has to be happy, and I can’t help the feeling if i were the client i would not be happy with this. I’m on a learning process, but I can tell I get in my own way.

• External Content soundcloud.com

You should definitely add vocals to this one Per definitely a great song in there

• Thanks Franjoe30 but I’m really not feeling doing vocals anymore. I brought it to where I could which was still in the realm of (to be charitable) talkers rather than singers to the people listening, Waters, Bowie etc. which just cemented what I was thinking myself. Maybe if I can think of a situation that requires that, but these tracks are more beds for those that can. So instead I’m working on the things I can improve and realizing that you have to go back to the basics many times along the journey. Stuff you think you had down, you don’t in fact have down and it only looked like you had it down before because something else was masking the crutch.

This one sounds particularly incomplete because last night though was more a case of just quickly throw something out then get out of the house for fresh air as a bottle off ammonia broke in the bathroom and I was feeling pretty woosy after cleaning it up and the place stank!

• I know exactly how you feel Per. I was caught up in an ammonia leak in the wrong part of my high school. The whole wing of the school was evacuated by hazmat and the entire school thought I had died. The ammonia pushes up your nostrils and goes straight to the top of your inner skull and pushes you into an hallucinogenic space. Even today, I break out into a panic attack if anyone around me uses household cleaners containing that shit.

BTW, I didn't die. :S

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• That's terrifying BayouTexan !