Midi Change Issue

• wow sorry you’re having the same issue. But also glad I don’t sound as crazy now.

Are you by chance using the mod slot on the kemper for anything? I’ve noticed this causing the issue on my end.

The volume pedal setting stays wide open. But no sound comes out. Touch the rig volume knob even a little and the sound returns.

But have also had the “clean” sound issue when it should be a lead patch per say. Almost sounds like a di guitar.

I am looking to resolve this as quick as possible. Hopefully we can find a solution

• You are mixing bank select LSB +program change with fractions of control changes 52-54 (value 0).

Either use the relative method to load Slots with CCs# 47-54 or the absolute method as described in the manual. As your software is capable of sending bank select and program changes I strongly recommend to stick to that method. It avoids complexities of CCs #50-54, which can load Slots and trigger Morphing, and which require to simulate button hits with value 1-127 and button releases with value 0 in a meaningful order.

I don't understand what these General Purpose comands are and what the purpose of Notes Off is. The PROFILER doesn't understand these. Please don't send burst of meangless messages. Stick to bank select LSB + program change and CCs for effect module on/off e.g. #24 for module MOD.

• In the second picture I see, you are sending a CC#24 value 0 immediately followed by a bank select LSB + program change. Loading the new Slot will also load the effect modules included and therefor overwrite the module MOD off immediately. This order of commands is meanigless except if module MOD is locked.

• In the second picture I see, you are sending a CC#24 value 0 immediately followed by a bank select LSB + program change. Loading the new Slot will also load the effect modules included and therefor overwrite the module MOD off immediately. This order of commands is meanigless except if module MOD is locked.

how do I activate and deactivate the “mod” with out using CC?

• Hi everyone,

Just seeing if this issue was solved for OP Maginethat or Heiree ?

I am having this same problem, I don't have access to the MIDI logs as we have a playback tech who looks after these messages, I will confer with him tomorrow.

Happens 50% of the time for us, when changing performances the LCD screen indicates the performance has changed and we're on the correct slot but the sound has not changed. I correct it by cycling to the next slot and cycling back.

I am happy though to see this problem is MIDI related and not Kemper related.

From my understanding we are only sending PC messages, we do not use MIDI for anything else besides rig changes, however we have a few Kempers being changed and we run MIDI long distances using line drivers, but I would think if the message was getting lost or interrupted the LCD display would also not change.

Appreciate the help or atleast confirmation a fix has been found.

• We are receiving such reports, but only if MIDI is automated via software. Never, if a MIDI foot controller is used which uses the same comands. We were never able to reproduce such an issue.

A few hints:

There are two ways to load Slots in Performance Mode (details in the manual). I would recommend MIDI bank select plus program change for automazation. If you use control changes #47-54 instead, the order of these could make a difference. For example cc# 50-54 can load Slots or trigger Morphing. And cc# 47 just preloads a Performance (the sounds sticks to the former Performance) and needs to be followed by one of cc# 50-54 to effectively load a Slot. Each cc# 50-54 should first be sent first with a value 1-127 followed by the same CC# with value 0. This simulates push and release of a button, which is relevant for some functions. So using these cc#s while jumping in a project might lead to unexpected results.

Disable in your software, that it dumps all MIDI messages while you scroll within your project.

Filter messages, that are not relevant for the PROFILER e.g. MIDI notes, even if these are sent via other MIDI channels. The PROFILER needs to select, what is relevant anyhow.

Again, we have never been able to reproduce any issues, if only relevant MIDI messages are received in reasonable frequencies. Don't send five sound changes per note.

• I've been having the same problem.

I'm sending MIDI commands from an iPad in the ForScore app.

The scenario I have is that I am using a Rig in a Performance Slot as my Clean sound and sometimes I want the MOD slot active on this Rig, and sometimes I don't.

In the iPad I have it set up to send a Program Change to select the Performance/Slot, followed by a CC command to either turn the MOD slot on or off.

This keeps things simple in that I didn't need to duplicate the Rig and have one Slot with MOD on and one with MOD off. It means that any tweaks I make to the Clean Rig will be reflected for both Clean sounds with and without the MOD slot active. i.e. a bit like having an amp and a chorus pedal.

I have noticed that occasionally (1 in 30 changes maybe) the Kemper appears to show everything on screen correctly but that the sound that is produced does not match. i.e. I get a crunch sound instead of clean.

I think, as suggested in the previous posts, the Kemper gets confused if it receives a Program change followed by a CC command in quick succession. I might see if I can add a delay between the Program change and the CC command to see if that helps. I don't really see why I should have to do this though. Surely the Kemper should be able to buffer any MIDI CC commands and process them after the Program change has finished?