Kemper Warranty Issues

• Im going to try to hide my anger as best as i can and be as polite as possible in hopes that Kemper will provide a better solution for me as a paying customer. This post is not to to tarnish the reputation of Kemper and their company but it is simply a public outcry as the result of my communications with tech support that has been full of disappointment and lies. The dealer i bought this from and Kemper seems to not want to take responsibility for the faulty unit.

I recently bought Kemper last week abroad and when i came back i had less than a day to set it up for my gig. However i encountered a problem that resulted in me canceling my gig. The save feature didnt work as it should causing midi crash so if i saved 5 presets and tried to recall them through my midi foot controller it would crash and the presets would disappear and i wouldnt be able to load them.

I posted in the forum for help and no one could figure it out so i contacted support and after almost a week we found out the cause of the problem was because my clock didnt work and i had a defective clock chip. The clock not working caused every preset i save to be saved with the same timestamp and therefore causing a crash.

So i was given the instruction to open up the unit and either change the battery or resolder the quartz chip. No offer was made to simply return the item and have it replaced or fixed. i decided ill try to save everyone the trouble and got an engineer friend to come and help me with it.

We replaced the battery and found that wasnt the cause of the problem. So we proceeded to try and resolder the chip as instructed. As i was tring to remove the front panel completely to get a better soldering angle and view the red/pink cable broke because it was so fragile. I hv removed these types of cable in computers before but this was simply too fragile and broke upon a little pull (if you dont believe me you're welcome to try it yourself).

So the tech support person i dealt with said the whole front panel needed to be replaced because of it. He wrote this

"Hello Alex,

the price of the front panel is 245,07 EUR and DHL shipping is 46,00 EUR.

This is a reduced price reflecting the defective clock.

Best regards,

Burkhard"

I had felt quite cheated at this point as a customer because i thought 'i bought a defective unit, then was asked to fix it myself...and when things went wrong i hv to pay another 25 percent of the price??'. If u bought clothings or cars be it cheap or expensive noone would tell you 'the clothing is ripped so sew it yourself' or 'the brake in the new car you bought didnt work but here's the instruction on how to fix that, do so at your own risk'....I merely followed instructions with consideration to save everyone the trouble. Nevertheless, i agreed at this price after asking they take into consideration that warranty is in place and the unit already was faulty and it wasnt because i was trying to mod it. So Burkhard confirmed that yes they already took that into consideration. I agreed to pay and waited for the bill.

However, 2 days later i received this :

"Dear Joshua,

the price for the complete frontpanel (which colour you need?) is 469,38
    EUR,

Shipping with DHL is 46,00 EUR (Standard)

Please note that shipping from Germany to Indonesia needs around 2-3 weeks.

When you are interested, I'll prepare a Proforma Invoice and after payment

is visible on our

account, we will send out this spare part.

Please advise.

Best regards,

Katja Ambrass
    Sales Administration"

I mentioned that that wasnt the price agreed on and i got this as a reply :

"Yes, I know.
    But the Frontpanel board you need have everything: Potentiometer, Display, the metal plate (black or white), LED’s, cable and so on.
    We checked it together this morning with our engineer. The price I gave you before was only the panel (without anything)

Best regards,
    Katja Ambrass
    Sales Administration"

Also:

"Dear Joshua,

please note that in general all customer has to return defective units to the dealer where they bought it.

The reason is, that you will lose your warranty when you try to repair it by yourself and you broke something.

Normally we make no exception at this point.

Following your situation, I can offer you a discount of 100 EUR.

Unfortunately this is all we can offer you.

Best regards,

Katja Ambrass
    Sales Administration"

I thought, wait a minute, thats another half of what i paid for a supposedly perfect working Kemper and wasnt i instructed to fix the problem myself? There was even an instruction to 'solder the quartz chip' and when that didnt work to 'solder the neighboring chip next to it'...i mean what kind of scam is this?

My dealer is not sure of their options on this matter and Kemper is offering me a non logical expensive solution...i am hoping this does not reflect on Mr. Kemper's principle of doing business. I truly feel cheated in this matter.

Mr. Kemper if you are reading this, i hv the utmost respect in the product and new technology of the profiling amp and i actually got rid of my Axe Fx and amps for your product. But shouldnt customers given a faulty unit be replaced with a new one or at least fixed for free? Ive dealt with Suhr guitars and they completely did everything free and lived up to their 'Warranty' promise...that is the level of professionalism i expected from Kemper.

I really hope that this plea is heard and i am given a better solution...my email is [email protected].

Thank you very much.

• Sad to read this.

Bought my KPA from Thomann. The 1st KPA had a bad responding knob. Thomann changed the KPA without any charge. The DSP died few months later and Thomann repaired my KPA without any charge again (no charge for shipping etc... it cost me 0 €). It's what your dealer has to do.

Edited once, last by Manolo76 ().

• Frankly I can't believe any support person on the whole wide world is gonna tell a customer he should resolder a clock-chip on a modern multilayer PCB. Even the manufacturer of said PCB wouldn't do that, they would just swap the whole board. And I can't believe a customer is actually following that advice and soldering around a board of a brand spanking new 1.500 € device. Sorry, this part of the story is fishy to say the least.

It's remotely possible that a not much informed person might tell somebody to change the battery although I do consider that highly unlikely given the device is brand new.

• ROHS solder can do cold solder many weeks later.
    If the customer is in ASIA and shipping back cost a lot...
    And yes it's a bad idea because you need a special tool and experience to do it correctly.(and it's not safe)

• So i was given the instruction to open up the unit and either change the battery or resolder the quartz chip.

Are you really saying the KEMPER support "gave you the instruction" to resolder a chip inside there? This is heavy stuff. Can you proove this?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I cannot believe somebody at Kemper instruct him to do so, resolder a chip himself? 8o c'mon.... It must be something more not yet told, this is a very collaborative customer service to a user that damaged his unit voiding the Warranty. In this optic it does make sense, instruct him to do something that the producer itself would not do? No way....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I had a faulty unit that I supplied to a customer.
    I instructed the customer to send it back to me, which he did.
    I sent it back to Kemper, all the way from South Africa to Germany.
    Kemper shipped me a new unit free of charge including the shipping from Germany to South Africa.

100% perfect Customer service from both myself, the distributor, and Kemper. :thumbup:

• Are you really saying the KEMPER support "gave you the instruction" to resolder a chip inside there? This is heavy stuff. Can you proove this?

"

Dear joshua.thanos,

there are two things, that you might be able to check. However we want to prepare a phote, so that you find the elements in the Profiler.

The clock has a battery, that you could exchange. We don't believe, this is less probable, but possible.

And the quarz of the clock could have a soldering contact problem. So if you feel comfortable with it, you could try to solder the quarz once more. Just heating the connection up for a moment might fix the connection issue.

Please wait for my phote and guideline.

Sincerely,

Burkhard Dinnies"

"Hello,

as promised here are the instructions how to check the battery and the quarz of the clock:

There are 2 phenomenons, both photographs are frontpanel! So when disassembling the unit: only the frontpanel has to be detached ! Please be sure to disconnect all A/C power before operation.

1) clock doesn't keep time when A/C power cord is pulled. This could be caused by faulty battery (didn't happen until now)

2) clock doesn't run at all ('freezed'). This could be caused by faulty RTC-crystal.. maybe a re-soldering could fix that:

note: ONLY SOLDER WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING ! -- otherwise please ship to support and don't fiddle around yourself ;)

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Burkhard"

"Hello Joshua,

too bad ... I have the following proposal:

We can send a spare cable to you directly. Should take 3-5 days. Please send

your address and we'll ship it asap.

Regarding the clock perhaps your friend engineer can also solder the 2

capacitors in the direct neighborhood of the quartz.

We could mark these on another foto. If that doesn't help, I'm afraid we

need to do the repair here. Exchanging the front panel is definitely more

complicated than disconnecting this one cable.

So I'm waiting for your address.

Sinceely,

Burkhard"

Soo, plenty of proofs that i was asked to fix it myself. Like i said, its like buying a new shirt with ripped part and being asked to sew it myself as opposed to replacing it.

• I had a faulty unit that I supplied to a customer.
    I instructed the customer to send it back to me, which he did.
    I sent it back to Kemper, all the way from South Africa to Germany.
    Kemper shipped me a new unit free of charge including the shipping from Germany to South Africa.

100% perfect Customer service from both myself, the distributor, and Kemper. :thumbup:

Wish mine was like yours....bad luck on my side i guess.

• I cannot believe somebody at Kemper instruct him to do so, resolder a chip himself? 8o c'mon.... It must be something more not yet told, this is a very collaborative customer service to a user that damaged his unit voiding the Warranty. In this optic it does make sense, instruct him to do something that the producer itself would not do? No way....

"Today, 6:54pm

by ARelicMind80

Quoted from "fretboardminer"

Are you really saying the KEMPER support "gave you the instruction" to resolder a chip inside there? This is heavy stuff. Can you proove this?

"Dear joshua.thanos,

there are two things, that you might be able to check. However we want to prepare a phote, so that you find the elements in the Profiler.

The clock has a battery, that you could exchange. We don't believe, this is less probable, but possible.

And the quarz of the clock could have a soldering contact problem. So if you feel comfortable with it, you could try to solder the quarz once more. Just heating the connection up for a moment might fix the connection issue.

Please wait for my phote and guideline.

Sincerely,

Burkhard Dinnies"

"Hello,
    as promised here are the instructions how to check the battery and the quarz of the clock:

There are 2 phenomenons, both photographs are frontpanel! So when disassembling the unit: only the frontpanel has to be detached ! Please be sure to disconnect all A/C power before operation.

1) clock doesn't keep time when A/C power cord is pulled. This could be caused by faulty battery (didn't happen until now)

2) clock doesn't run at all ('freezed'). This could be caused by faulty RTC-crystal.. maybe a re-soldering could fix that:

note: ONLY SOLDER WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING ! -- otherwise please ship to support and don't fiddle around yourself ;)

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Burkhard"

"Hello Joshua,

too bad ... I have the following proposal:

We can send a spare cable to you directly. Should take 3-5 days. Please send

your address and we'll ship it asap.

Regarding the clock perhaps your friend engineer can also solder the 2

capacitors in the direct neighborhood of the quartz.

We could mark these on another foto. If that doesn't help, I'm afraid we

need to do the repair here. Exchanging the front panel is definitely more

complicated than disconnecting this one cable.

So I'm waiting for your address.

Sinceely,

Burkhard"

Soo, plenty of proofs that i was asked to fix it myself. Like i said, its like buying a new shirt with ripped part and being asked to sew it myself as opposed to replacing it."

Sooo, i know im the underdog here in a room full of people who loves Kemper but ive got the proofs...i pray it doesnt happent to you.

• I would absolutely not settle for that nonsense. It's the dealers responsibility to replace your faulty unit with a brand new one....and you should accept nothing less. Who did you purchase it from?

A shop in Singapore who is a friend of mine so i dont feel comfortable sharing their store or identities.

• This had better be a misunderstanding because having a customer try and perform a fix like this is extremely stupid.

Nobody seemed to be eager to replace my faulty unit and i thought i was doing everyone a favor and not trouble them since they didnt seem keen on replacing my unit.

• If this mail is the truth, he also wrote:
    ------------------------------
    -----------------------------

It was your risk. I understand that you've tried to repair it. I think Kemper should repair it without any costs. if it had function, all were lucky and the costs were low. Now the shit happens.

• Frankly I can't believe any support person on the whole wide world is gonna tell a customer he should resolder a clock-chip on a modern multilayer PCB. Even the manufacturer of said PCB wouldn't do that, they would just swap the whole board. And I can't believe a customer is actually following that advice and soldering around a board of a brand spanking new 1.500 € device. Sorry, this part of the story is fishy to say the least.

It's remotely possible that a not much informed person might tell somebody to change the battery although I do consider that highly unlikely given the device is brand new.

Nobody seemed to be eager to replace my faulty unit whether the dealer or Kemper so i thought i was doing everyone a favor and not trouble them since they didnt seem keen on replacing my unit.

• Sorry, I simply do not believe the TO is telling us the truth about what really happened!

H

Please read the rest of the post and i even posted emails from tech support. Be grateful this never happened to you but please hv empathy to those not so lucky.