Recording with SPDIF (updating on the subject)

• Hi there,

I know the subject might have been already discussed here but it seems many years ago.

I recently got an Antelope Zen Q interface with Discrete preamps and spdif connection, which I never had before.

So I gave it a test with the KPA, comparing the recording of incoming, amplified signal with spdif and with xlr.

My first test for high-gain sound shows me barely any differences between the two. I made sure I selected internal clock for spdif at 48 khz,

which is the same with the interface. Not sure to understand the importance by which one has to be the 'slave' yet.

If I made no wrong, and the difference of sound is minimal, are you still recording spdif for the sake of having more free inputs available?

Thanks for your insights :)

Kemper rack unpowered, Art SLA Power Amp, Mesa TC-50, Laney LFR 112, Chapman ML3 Pro Modern, Solar Artist 2.6, Charvel Pro-Mod DK 24, J, PRS Paul Allender.

Metal radio show host at CFOU 89,1 FM - https://subversion-le-metal-show.captivate.fm

• I use spdif for the Git/Stack combination so I get the DI as well. Probably other ways to get that, but that's my work flow.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I made sure I selected internal clock for spdif at 48 khz,

which is the same with the interface. Not sure to understand the importance by which one has to be the 'slave' yet.

You have selected the interface as the SPDIF clock master? That shouldn't work...

ckemper wrote somehwere, that the Profiler cannot be slaved due to hardware restrictions.

So the correct setup has to be: Profiler: Clock Master, Audio Interface: Clock Slave.

Sorry if I understood your comment the wrong way but I just wanted to save you the stress in finding a problem that i also had...

• It works on all Kemper Stage models and on Rack/Head models produced in 2019 and later.

...if you have connected both spdif in and out (and my Apollo only has spdif in...and there is no upgrade path for me...)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• If I made no wrong, and the difference of sound is minimal, are you still recording spdif for the sake of having more free inputs available?

Thanks for your insights :)

To hear a significant difference between analog vs. digital spdif connection you have to have something in your analog chain which colors the sound drastically. (can be bad or good or just different) Modern interfaces try to get a very clean sound and to be honest, electric guitar sounds are not the most high fidelity sounds you can use to compare difference in adda conversion or something like that. :) So it's more or less a question of how comfortable you can setup things in one way or the other.

• I've used the SPDIF connection ever since I have the KPA to avoid another DA/AD conversion and to have more inputs available. Also the SPDIF cable is more convenient and less hefty than the jacks.

However not many interfaces provide an SPDIF connection.

As a matter of fact I am in the process of acquiring a new interface and most come with no SPDIF. I am already experiencing, as I am using my new potential interface these days, how much more cumbersome it is to deal with the bloody jacks than with the handy SDIF cable.

• a good benefit of SPDIF is you avoid the latency of additional D/A and A/D conversions.

strangely the KPA SPDIF ours actually add latency at most sample rates. There have been a few threads about it for example. CK confirmed at one point that as long as you work at a specific sample rate (i think it was 44.1 but can’t remember) the SPDIF will output with no added latency.

As a matter of fact I am in the process of acquiring a new interface and most come with no SPDIF. I am already experiencing, as I am using my new potential interface these days, how much more cumbersome it is to deal with the bloody jacks than with the handy SDIF cable.

Not cumbersome for me, I plug all the cables in one time and leave it. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• strangely the KPA SPDIF ours actually add latency at most sample rates. There have been a few threads about it for example. CK confirmed at one point that as long as you work at a specific sample rate (i think it was 44.1 but can’t remember) the SPDIF will output with no added latency.

I think new technology is making the latency issue of SPDIF vs Analog almost mute.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.