Create Sounds with Rig Manager WITHOUT guitar and Kemper

• Everyone knows it... you have your kemper in the rehearsal room but you want to play around with some new rigs and effects and build some new tones.

How awesome would it be if you could record a few riffs/licks in the Rig Manager and play them again and again whenever your guitar or Kemper is not next to you. So you could create new sounds and experiment with all the kemper effects you want.

Think that should be easy to set up isn´t it?

• What you do is; record a riff in your DAW along with the DI signal, then you can play with the sounds and experiment with settings by reamping the DI into any rig you want. And you can do this all day long...

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Yes, you can... it's called a "plugin" :p

But that does kinda miss the whole point of the thread though. The OP asked for a way to do this with RM. RM would need a total redesign to turn it into a plugin. As the whole Kemper code is written around a specific chip that would presumably;ly require a total overhaul of the existing product and effectively result in KPA 2.0.

• But that does kinda miss the whole point of the thread though. The OP asked for a way to do this with RM. RM would need a total redesign to turn it into a plugin. As the whole Kemper code is written around a specific chip that would presumably;ly require a total overhaul of the existing product and effectively result in KPA 2.0.

Not necessarily, IMO. Since we know RM can't do it, I offered an alternative -- I thought it helpful and fun to do that instead of a direct "no it won't". :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Even if there’s no sound it would be great to tweak on rm without having the unit plugged in.

More than the technical impossibility, i don't understand this need...

IMHO, as a guitarist, our modelers/profilers are the exact opposite philosophy and i don't catch what would be the goal in this kind of process ?

Our devices are done to plug and play.

The sound you'll have will theorically be close to the one you've worked on at home before.

In this case, on one hand, you know exactly what you want and can build your rigs but there's no sounds research or, on the other hand, you'll put blocks and discover the result after, when ? When you go at rearsal or gigs ?

The pluggin solution is interesting like Helix native but i consider it more for recording than creating rigs, thing i personnaly do not do

• More than the technical impossibility, i don't understand this need...

Just imagine you are rehearsing with your band. You take notes of the tweaks you need to do to your rigs.

After rehearsing you leave all your equipment in the rehearsal room because you will rehearse the next day again.

You go home, take out your computer and make the tweaks you need. You use DI recordings you had made previously. Store the new rigs/performances in a usb drive.

Next day before the rehearsal you load the new stuff on your Kemper, rehearse and enjoy the perfection of a digital rig.

• Just imagine you are rehearsing with your band. You take notes of the tweaks you need to do to your rigs.

After rehearsing you leave all your equipment in the rehearsal room because you will rehearse the next day again.

You go home, take out your computer and make the tweaks you need. You use DI recordings you had made previously. Store the new rigs/performances in a usb drive.

Next day before the rehearsal you load the new stuff on your Kemper, rehearse and enjoy the perfection of a digital rig.

but surely f you know what tweaks you need to make (in enough detail to take notes you would be better and quicker just making the tweaks at the rehearsal and saving them at the time.

• Is not always easy. You might need to try a few different amps. You might need to tweak eq a lot. Sometimes the rest of the band cannot afford to wait for you until you finish editing rigs.

• My personal practice is to not take any gear to a rehearsal or gig until I learn how to use it to get the sound I want quickly. I would be too embarrassed. I would be especially embarrassed if it were a recording situation and my lack of understanding was costing the band big bucks.

This is not meant to offend anyone, it is my personal practice. FWIW, it's also advice that I have given every band that ever thought about recording in my studio. I simply tell them that they can have all the time they need but they will pay for every minute so they should be ready when they walk trough the door.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Edward Dixon your advice is good. I think we come from the same place. It’s important not to waste other people’s time. That’s why I’d love a feature like this, that would let me say: “ok, I know what I have to do. I will do it on my own time. Let’s move on to the next song”. A recording scenario is a different topic.

I will also say that mastering the Kemper takes time. And it’s important to continuously keep improving. I’ve been using it for a few months now. I usually think “yep, now I know everything I need to make this work”, just like you advised Edward Dixon , but then, something I wasn’t expecting comes up and I am in need to do some experimentation/research and learn a little more. That’s part of a learning process. You don’t know what you don’t know. It would take years for to really master every single aspect of the Kemper and how to solve every single problem. How are you supposed to learn all of that if you don’t use the device in real life scenarios? How can you possibly tell that you already know all that you could possibly need to do? I think that’s a bit of an unrealistic standard.

• As I said, it's just my personnel practice, not I standard I set for anyone else.

I started with a working band in 1964 (58years ago. Yes, I'm very old). I had a 70lb Silvertone amp and a Silvertone bass . Volume, Bass, Treble, and reverb. Life was less complicated in those days. I can see where the amount of options available on the Kemper may seem overwhelming to some but if one "knows what to do" why not just do it? The only reason I can think of is that they may know "what" but not "how". My personnel solution is to work with the Kemper not some substitute .

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• I assume everybody will agree that we don't argue to turn a rehearsal session into a wasting of time for the entire band.

I've done so with my previous devices, I was really loved by all the band :P:cursing::evil::whistling:

Just imagine you are rehearsing with your band. You take notes of the tweaks you need to do to your rigs.

I don't think that it works so nicely !

Day One : awful sound. Back Home --> Remind all the settings you have to do

Day Two : Everything's perfect :/

Whether, the changings were simple and you could do them quickly at a break or between two songs... Or they are more complex and i don't understand how you can reach the perfection so easily without listenning to them....

IMHO, this is an empirical method and it seems to be less ergonomic.

Maybe i have a narrow mind but i still don't understand how you can do settings with your tool far from you ?!

• I've done so with my previous devices, I was really loved by all the band :P:cursing::evil::whistling:

I don't think that it works so nicely !

Day One : awful sound. Back Home --> Remind all the settings you have to do

Day Two : Everything's perfect :/

First, LOL, yeah I've also done that and it has been done to me.

Well, yeah, that's an oversimplification. The process could take several days. But it is 100% a real scenario.

Things Iv'e done this way:
    - Achieve a better combination of delays (slapback + longer delay). That takes some minutes and can perfectly be done at home.
    - Looking for amps with different properties. Example of the note: "Look for amps with more low end". What I did: Looked for 3 amps that seemed to work at home, tried them during a song next day and chose one without disturbing anyone.
    - Nail the right rate of an effect like tremolo or phaser
    - Reorganize performances to reflect changes in the setlist
    - Assign several effects to a single stomp
    - Adjust morphing levels for effects

Of course these are all things you can do if you simply take you Kemper home, which I currently do. But you said you didn't understand the use case. I'm just giving examples of real world use cases because I do think this would be a nice to have feature. Not critical. Just nice. The Kemper is already such a helpful tool that has made my life so much easier... this is not a complaint about a critical feature missing in the Kemper.