DAW audio output playing through SPDIF input- FIXED

• So I just did an 'Init Globals' reset which resets all the input and output settings. My Kemper is hooked up to the interface with spdif, xlr, and 1/4", pretty much every way, ha.

Now when I hit playback on the DAW, I can hear the tracks coming thru the Kemper. (comes out the xlr outputs, also tried the headphones)

I unplugged every cable one by one to figure out where the audio was coming from, and it's the SPDIF cable that's carrying the DAW audio. I checked the manual, couldn't find any solution to how to stop this.

It wasn't doing this before I did the reset. Only changes I made was the Init Globals reset, no changes were made in the DAW or interface, or cables. Of course I could just unplug the cable, but what is the setting that changed? How do I set it so I don't hear the DAW audio playing thru the Kemper?

• This is an issue with your DAW, not the Kemper. Make sure to select whatever output for your stereo bus in the DAW that you prefer.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Ok, let's say you were correct about the DAW:

(you are not- spdif is not selected as an output. I even removed it from the list of possible output choices in Reaper, and still audio enters Kemper)

If that was the case, why did it only start when I reset the global settings in the Kemper. Nothing was changed in Reaper.

Daw Monitoring is not on, Even Youtube, any sounds at all come through the SPDIF.

Someone has to know what setting was reset when I did the 'Init Global' to cause this.

• Don’t think anyone will know as there isn’t any setting in the Kemper that controls what comes n the SPDIF input.

If you have ruled out Reaper (youtube videos playing confirms this) then the issue is a setting in your interface itself

Yeah, you're probly right. Just so odd that it only began after I did the Kemper global reset, that's what makes me suspect it's an obscure Kemper setting. I have a new audio interface on order (chip shortage delayed), so possibly that one will work better with SPDIF whenever it finally is available.

Is your interface selected as the playback device for your computer?

Yes, it's selected as the interface's Main Outs though, not as SPDIF.

Yesterday I was recording some tracks, so I just unplugged the SPDIF 'in' cable, no more problem. Although the reset added 'space' at 3.0, didn't figure that out until later. so I'll have to reamp those tracks, they sound chorusey weird.

I think you only need the spdif 'in' if you're re-amping, right?

So I could leave it unplugged?

• I don't use the spdif on my kemper stage, I have no spdif devices to connect to. I use the Kemper main outs (XLR) into a Behringer X32 digital console into Reaper via usb (32in32out). In Reaper the Main L/R outputs are sent back to the X32 on 2 of the 8 available channels (which I have remapped to AUX1-2 on the mixer). The Windows OS is what limits the number of outs to 8 of the 32 available on the mixer.

If I wanted to re-amp a track, I would route the signal from Reaper to an output on the mixer and send it back to the kemper (analog).

This may or may not help but I know next to nothing about your gear, your computer or Operating system.......

When you are in Reaper and double click on the hardware output channel above the Master fader what options are listed? This varies depending on what is connected to your computer.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• On Page 1 of 9 of the Output settings, SPDIF would probably be set to what your Main Output is set to. Mine is set to Master Stereo. On page 6 of 9 make sure your SPDIF clock is matched to the same in DAW.

On Page 1 of 2 of the Input settings, Input Source should be set to Front Input and not "SPDIF Input Reamp" until you are ready to reamp. This might be where you are getting the loopback since you are also tracking the XLR inputs. You can always Mute a track in DAW when monitoring is not needed. Page 2 of 2 is your reamp Sens if needed.

An example of muting a track would be to mute a DI signal or just turn off the monitoring (speaker icon on the track) since you just want to hear the result of the DI after it has been reamped -- which you hear (monitor) the result on a separate track and not the DI track.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• OK, Wheresthedug called it.

It was the audio interface! Thanks to everyone that replied!

The interface is a Presonus Quantum 2626. The Presonus totally useless software 'Universal Control', which really has no controls at all, no mixing or routing controls, only meters, was always ignored by me because it doesn't really do anything. Sometimes I will actually open it to change the clock source to S/pdif when recording, if I don't, there's alot of clicking recorded on the S/PDIF tracks. There is a small box at the bottom of the Universal Control marked as 'S/PDIF mirrors Mains', I just noticed. It was highlighted. Unchecking that solved the problem completely. No more YouTube or Daw signals sent to the Kemper.

So, maybe I selected and clicked on the Mirror Mains button on accident? At the same time that I had reset the Kempers 'Init Globals'.... perhaps that's what created the mystery, not sure, but no issue now.

Hopefully my new interface will come soon, this one is seriously lacking. (doesn't even have direct monitoring!)

On the bright side, If I ever want to hear my PC's audio through the Kemper, it's a button click away. In stereo, as well.

• Glad to hear you got it worked out. Did the 'Init Globals' reset damage your interface or was it just co-incidence or do you know yet? I ask because I am new to Kemper and read all the trouble shooting posts to get an idea a things I could be up against later.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Coincidence.

I was sort of questioning my tone, and wanted to rule out any settings I might have changed over time, as a test- that was the reason I tried the reset.

The Init Globals seemed to reset all the input and output settings back to default. The only thing from the Kemper side after the reset that was an issue was that some of the settings I never use came back on, like Space and Pure Cabinet in the output menu.

I would watch out for those 2, experiment and see if you like them on or off, especially when recording!

• This is probably related from latest beta:

Audio

fixed: accidental leakage of S/PDIF IN signal into MAIN OUT and MONITOR OUT introduced in 8.7.1

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM