Option to set power-up-volume to 0

• Would it be possible to add an output option to make i possible to set power-up-volume (pedal) to 0. It is rather irritating to have the unit blasting away for the seconds it takes to get control with a locally or remote-connected volume pedal. It is of course possible to power on to tuner with the tuner set to mute, but that is easy to forget. And then there is the occasional power-loss. If implemented as an option in output settings that defaults to off it will not affect those who use the KPA with no pedals.

Edited 3 times, last by heldal ().

• A little workaround. Power up to tuner. Move all expression pedals from heel to tip to heel again. I always do that, since i also have an expression permanently assignet to wah.

Yes, this requires you to do something BUT it is also a good way to test that the Kemper is actually recieving midi.

However, ofcourse the request makes sense. Volume startup default should be the lowest volume imho.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• I don't understand. My unit starts up with no sound until I turn up my guitar volume and hit the strings. Even if my guitar volume is max, I don't hear sound from the speakers until I touch the strings.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I don't understand. My unit starts up with no sound until I turn up my guitar volume and hit the strings. Even if my guitar volume is max, I don't hear sound from the speakers until I touch the strings.

if you play loud stages and don’t totally gate the shit out or your rigs unintended noise can be an issue. It just takes someone to drop something heavy ot stamp on a stage and the vibration can set off all sorts of sonic hell.

Kemper starts up with the volume pedal value in toe position as default.

• Kemper starts up with the volume pedal value in toe position as default.

Ohhh. Shouldn't it start in whatever position the pedal is in? So, if pedal is heel (off) then the Kemper should know that and vice-versa. I've never noticed it being indifferent.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Ohhh. Shouldn't it start in whatever position the pedal is in? So, if pedal is heel (off) then the Kemper should know that and vice-versa. I've never noticed it being indifferent.

It should, or rather, i think it should. But it doesn’t. You have to move the pedal for the kempers volume value to catch. Strange thing is that this is not the case for the wah.

But i’ve made a habit of moving both, after power up. And step on a few patch change switches too. Just in case. Also a good way to check if my wireless midi is working.

• Ohhh. Shouldn't it start in whatever position the pedal is in? So, if pedal is heel (off) then the Kemper should know that and vice-versa. I've never noticed it being indifferent.

That would be nice, but the KPA has no way of knowing the position of a pedal attached to the remote before the network-connection between the KPA and the remote is established. Power to the remote is delayed until the KPA has completed its boot-cycle, so there is a significant delay until the remote has completed its diagnostics and boot-process and is ready for operation... And even then the KPA doesn't register the pedal-position until the pedal is moving.

• I do as suggested as well. Start on tuner, but turning your guitar pot down should mitigate every possible chance of a burst as well? (which is also why some of us think that output settings should store all settings)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Makes sense to me....I had to think about this one because initially I was thinking about the on stage monitor....that in itself is irritating because quite often after a gig I won't turn down the master volume and just switch off...then of course when I turn it on it is at the volume I had for the last time I played...which can wake you up!

I've never had the issue for FOH because I tend to set myself up first before asking the sound engineer to set levels, but I think its a good idea.

• This drives me nuts.

I wish there was an option to enable this function.

I play theatre shows. If the first patch of the show happens to be a huge loud dirty sound, the potential for making horrific sound is very real. Add to that other muso’s might already have headphones on and on more than on occasion I’ve had to apologise for blasting the crap out of their ears until I’ve managed to move the volume pedal off heel and back again to kill the sound of the guitar going off. Even without a guitar plugged in there could be some annoying loud open circuit noise. Not all of us have the luxury of booting up to an audio system that is muted first.

Add to that, sometimes if I’ve forgotten to power off the night before, it will get powered off by the sound team when they shut off audio power. Then it will boot back up the next night during their system power-up, way ahead of me arriving. This has potential to be very unpleasant.

It’s crazy that the Kemper does not remember (or have an option to enable) the volume position. Or, if that’s not technically possible… an option that Tuner mode is enabled by default on startup. This would also solve the issue and won’t rely on Kemper determining volume position. My original thought to workaround this was to hit tuner before powering off, but guess what.. Kemper Stage doesn’t remember that either. 😭

While I’m at it … it also drives me crazy that the operating system causes rather loud audible pops during boot-up and shutdown.. I’m not going to be popular the day that I need to reboot the Kemper mid show for some reason.

• Btw, the workaround I and others have suggested by powering on to tuner still produce a short burst of audio (<1sec) before the tuner mute kicks in if there for example is a cable with no guitar plugged into the KPA. It shouldn't be that hard to make power-up a silent process.