Low output pickups

• I just put some low output pups in my Tele and I dig the clarity but man it’s a huge volume difference. It also feels pretty frail without any boost.

I’m curious what the best way to beef up these vintage pups is. Should I just copy/paste my main rig and save one specifically for the tele where I just turn up the amp volume 3+db? I don’t have room in the a-d or x-rev slots to add anything… Im hoping to beef it up in the amplifier section if possible.

Any thoughts?

• I would create separate rig(s) for guitar with low output pickups and increase accordingly rig volume (or alternatively amp volume). If this is not enough than my 2nd choice would be definition. Good luck!

• Separate rigs or even better , specific profiles : just dial your amp until you're satisfied ( with any boost / pedal needed ) then profile it. It's all about dynamics, so I'd choose a very dynamic & sensitive amp , like a boogie , fender ...

If you don't want to profile, just star from a good dynamic profile and tweak it to your needs , then save several presets as a performance.

Be sure to adjust the height of your PU right before.

• Low output pickups are about how they push the amp. So it’ll be different, even if the rig volume is increased. Experimenting with Clean/Distortion Sense and saving that setting for this guitar could be an effective catchall. Of course .. the whole point of low output pickups is what they do. Best thing would be to be open to approaching building rigs based on the strengths of the Tele. That would mean revisiting boost/comp settings and levels, as well as the deeper amp parameters.

• I would create separate rig(s) for guitar with low output pickups and increase accordingly rig volume (or alternatively amp volume). If this is not enough than my 2nd choice would be definition. Good luck!

that’s what I’ve done this far, just adjusted rig volume +3db on rig volume but I may need more or need to discuss pickup heights with my tech and experiment.

• Separate rigs or even better , specific profiles : just dial your amp until you're satisfied ( with any boost / pedal needed ) then profile it. It's all about dynamics, so I'd choose a very dynamic & sensitive amp , like a boogie , fender ...

If you don't want to profile, just star from a good dynamic profile and tweak it to your needs , then save several presets as a performance.

Be sure to adjust the height of your PU right before.

yeah profiling isn’t for me, but my go to lonestargtr 3rdPower blackface profile is the best clean platform profile I’ve found. Maybe you could chime in Mike?

• Low output pickups are about how they push the amp. So it’ll be different, even if the rig volume is increased. Experimenting with Clean/Distortion Sense and saving that setting for this guitar could be an effective catchall. Of course .. the whole point of low output pickups is what they do. Best thing would be to be open to approaching building rigs based on the strengths of the Tele. That would mean revisiting boost/comp settings and levels, as well as the deeper amp parameters.

the clean sense is a global thing though right? If I could do it per rig/performance that would be a good idea. But yeah even the gain settings on the stomps I have need to be increased because everything is way cleaner.

• the clean sense is a global thing though right? If I could do it per rig/performance that would be a good idea. But yeah even the gain settings on the stomps I have need to be increased because everything is way cleaner.

Yes and no. If you lock the Input then is global, otherwise is per Rig

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• that’s what I’ve done this far, just adjusted rig volume +3db on rig volume but I may need more or need to discuss pickup heights with my tech and experiment.

on very clean amps the lower output would be expected to cause a volume difference but once you start adding gain (Mbritt’s clean rigs still tend to have a little grit and natural compression) there should be much less volume difference, rather difference in tone/articulation/drive/etc. If you are getting a 3db drop in volume Clean Sense might be your best option.

Also, as you suggested, pickup height can play a big part. Just try adjusting them yourself. You can do any harm. If you are at all worried about making things sound worse, just measure the height between the top of the pole pieces and underside of the strings on both 1st and 6th strings. That way you can always get back to your original starting point anytime you want.

• Yes and no. If you lock the Input then is global, otherwise is per Rig

Awesome! I always thought it was global. What's the benefit of booting Clean Sense vs the Rig volume in the Amp section though? Does the Amp rig volume boost push the amp like a volume knob would on an amp, into more saturation? I'm sitting down to experiment now but I the feedback still.

Thank you

• Awesome! I always thought it was global. What's the benefit of booting Clean Sense vs the Rig volume in the Amp section though? Does the Amp rig volume boost push the amp like a volume knob would on an amp, into more saturation? I'm sitting down to experiment now but I the feedback still.

Thank you

Clean Sense is part input gain and part volume levelling between clean and dirty sounds. Therefore, if clean sounds are too quiet RELATIVE to dirty sounds it can help balance them out.

You can test this by taking a clean sound (gain at 0) and assigning the gain knob to a morph expression pedal. Play and gradually increase the gain all the way up to 10.

If clean sense is set correctly the perceived volume should stay pretty stable but the sound will become much more overdriven.

Now set Clean Sense to the minimum value and do the same thing.

Finally, set to maximum and try again.

At one extreme, increasing gain will make the dirty sounds much quieter than the clean sounds. At the other extreme the clean sounds will be much quieter than the dirty sounds.

Increasing Amp Volume pr Rig volume increases clean and dirty tones whilst retaining any disparity between them.

The Amp and Rig Volumes don’t push anything in a way that increasing the master volume on a valve amp would.

• It has been suggested to implement a set of selectable global input settings that could compensate for varying instrument characteristics. The 4 soft-buttons above the display are unused in input settings and could potentially be used to provide direct access to 4 different sets of parameters, alternatively one button to enter a list of many alternatives ... then select with a knob. I think there is room for improvements in the input section, but so far it has not been prioritised.

• It has been suggested to implement a set of selectable global input settings that could compensate for varying instrument characteristics. The 4 soft-buttons above the display are unused in input settings and could potentially be used to provide direct access to 4 different sets of parameters, alternatively one button to enter a list of many alternatives ... then select with a knob. I think there is room for improvements in the input section, but so far it has not been prioritised.

You can already save the input settings as a preset. I have one for each of my guitars.

that would be cool. There’s a lot of tweaking to be done on the amp section though too for guitar changes. I got some nice results dialing back the definition knob for the Tele which smoothed some of the excess high frequencies.

• but you create an entire new performance though correct? I work in 5 performance layout so that’s what worked for me at least.

No, i Just lock the input and select the preset I need. It then applies to all performances

• I think your best approach is to have a separate performance.

I run a Gretsch and Les Paul and have 2 performances. Why? Because its not just about volume. You want to retain the twang and "thunk" of the tele compared to your other guitars ( otherwise why use it) so you need to tune your profiles for what you want.

In the valve days, we would compensate with a pedal etc. but this is not necessary as we have ultimate control and programmability.

Most songs you pre-determine which guitar so shouldn't be a stretch. Its the easiest and most effective way that messing with global settings IMO.

• i hear ya, I haven’t ever done that really because I haven’t had an issue like this going from one guitar to another be it. In a HSS strat you have those two worlds of single coils and humbucker and i found a balance between the two so switching to a 335, LP style guitar didn’t make a difference. The previous pickups in the tele didn’t have a stark volume difference either. There may be something going on with the wiring at this point I think and the pickup height itself will be explored.

Having ultimate control to make every guitar change optimized is pretty cool though. Where some guitars may need a cut in the bass other guitars may retain it. The definition control seems like a one knob wonder for dialing in different guitars.

• i hear ya, I haven’t ever done that really because I haven’t had an issue like this going from one guitar to another be it.

Same here, its only when I got the Gretsch that I though I want a different sound, not just compensate the volume difference.

BTW I also have a strat that I fitted with vintage bareknuckle pickups and I also have a significant drop in output....I need to check out my pickup height there as well but I suspect its because over the years pickups and generally got hotter, causing a bigger delta with vintage stuff.