Thump Knob

• The one thing I miss most when playing my Kemper is that feeling of air being pushed when playing; that satisfying responsive thump to each little percussive pick.

I recently picked up a Kemper Kabinet which I use with a Powerhead. It's been a small improvement over my 2x12 cab (and fun to play with the various speaker impressions), though still far from what I hoped for in the thump department.

I also own a Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb (a fully solid state amp) that does manage to perfectly replicate the thump feel you get from the original Deluxe Reverb amps (and other 'real' amps), even when played at or below talking volumes.

I therefore wondered if this is something Kemper will ever be able to achieve with a simple software update, or if there's some hardware limitation preventing it being physically possible?

• have you tried

Bass Boost

The KEMPER Kone has been designed to have a perfect tone when the cabinet sits on the floor. Whenever you lift a cabinet into free space, it will lose a certain amount of the bass fundamental, as the mirroring of the floor will attenuate it. This effect can be compensated by pressing “Bass Boost”, which adds 3 dB to the low frequencies.

• Thanks Don, just tried the 'Bass Boost' and it does help a little bit, though is there any way to go further? I've tried simply increasing the bass on the Amp's EQ but find this just muddies the tone rather than providing more thump.

I have the Kabinet sitting flat on the same floor as my ToneMaster so that shouldn't be an issue.

• I have the Kabinet sitting flat on the same floor as my ToneMaster so that shouldn't be an issue.

I believe the Tone Master has a significantly larger cabinet volume which will increase bass response. It is also open backed which should increase bass (particularly if placed close to a wall) but provide less focused bass and less attack than a closed back cabinet like the Kemper. Unfortunately there is only so much you can do to overcome the laws of physics. Putting the Kemper Kone in the ToneMaster cabinet would be a very interesting experiment.