[SOLVED] Popping Issue on Kemper Stage Analog Outputs

• Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this problem. Perhaps it is a hardware issue or else we have overlooked or messed something up in the setup/settings. Here is the situation:

I have been using a Kemper Stage for a year or so now and use almost exclusively high quality MBritt profiles. I use it in the studio utilizing the main XLR out in stereo and at home via SPDIF with no issues whatsoever. I have learned a great deal from this forum and I thank you all very much for your contributions.

My bandmate liked my sound and purchased a Stage for himself from Sweetwater. When it arrived, we set it up with similar profiles and output settings of -20db in Master Mono. Utilizing a high quality XLR cable direct to a Behringer X32 mixer into 4 powered Bose towers there were audible, non periodic pops with various degrees of loudness coming from his Stage. All firmware is current and we also did a factory reset. We tried every combination of ground lifts with and without the "Main XLR Lift" checked. The popping continued and we just figured it was a defective unit and exchanged it for another from Sweetwater. Unfortunately the identical problem persisted with the second unit. Did another firmware update and factory reset with no change.

At this point Occam's razor would suggest an external variable in the studio being the culprit so after rehearsal last night I brought his unit home with me and left mine there. I hooked it up via SPDIF and zero issues. I then tried the main XLR outs, monitor outs, and headphone outs through an Audient iD14 and sure enough the popping was clearly evident. This happens with or without anything plugged into the input jack and with any analog setting of output source. So basically the digital output is good but all analog outs have the popping issue - on two consecutive units! Perhaps I am missing something but I believe the pertinent settings are equivalent between my functional unit and his so I am somewhat at a loss. Here is a YouTube video of it happening along with the input and output settings:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is this a known issue with a current batch of units?

Thanks!

Edited 2 times, last by jeffgood ().

• Is it similar to this? Clicking noise starts at 6 seconds...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• BayouTexan Thanks for the reply. That does seem similar although the intensity of the pops/clicks seems more variable. Were you able to open my YouTube link? Upon further listening that seems like the same problem. Have you discovered the cause?

• That annoying click came on me from out of nowhere. I traced it down to the the 1-Spot AC adapter I was using for a compressor pedal and Freqout pedal I had in front of the Kemper. The 1-Spot was plugged into the same surge-suppressor as my Kemper.

I suggest you start to unplug everything from the Kemper, plug it into a different electrical outlet, and just plug in your guitar and listen via the headphone jack to see if the noise goes away. Then start plugging stuff back in one by one. It was aggravating to do but it worked for me! I solved it just before I was going to post my video on here. Glad you came along so I could use it. :P

BTW, I have a powered rackmount.

• Thanks. We have unplugged everything from the unit, reset the I/O settings, power is coming from a Furman power conditioner and the clicking is there in any analog output. OTOH, my personal unit has a Freqout with an AC adaptor plugged into the same crappy power strip as my Stage and it is dead silent. My bandmate is quickly losing his enthusiasm.

• Plug unit into a different outlet in another room that is not on the same circuit to test. Don't use the Furman until you tested Kemper straight into a different outlet. Power conditioners are known to pick up noises. Also turn off any ceiling fans. If you are then sure it is the Kemper then open a support ticket.

• I brought it to a whole different state ( Vancouver, WA to Portland, OR) to plug it in :) So, the problem with his unit has been duplicated in two locations, as contrasted with my unit which works perfectly in both locations. Support ticket opened thanks for your help. :thumbup:

• So... what was the fix?? I played an event in GA at the Gwinnett Arena in front of 5,500 people last week, and just before we went on, the FOH guy told me that my Kemper Stage was popping. A reboot fixed it temporarily, but it came back. Very frustrating. Please let us know what the fix turned out to be!

• So... what was the fix?? I played an event in GA at the Gwinnett Arena in front of 5,500 people last week, and just before we went on, the FOH guy told me that my Kemper Stage was popping. A reboot fixed in temporarily, but it came back. Very frustrating. Please let us know what the fix turned out to be!

If he won't post it then that means Kemper showed him how to turn it on. That's all. :P:P:P