IEM's sound horible

• My problem is that my IEM's sound horrible...

Routing:

Kemper > Main out L/R > Zoom L20 stereo channel(no effects from the zoom are used on the signal)***I've tried EQing through the board, but it doesn't improve the sound much at all.

In-Ear System:

Phenyx Pro PTM-10 & KZ ZS10 Pro buds

***I realize this is an inexpensive setup, but there is literally no way the guitar should sound as bad as it does.

Whenever I play my Kemper through my Headrush 112 cabinet it sounds great. Really thick and full with a nice lead tone. I run monitor out from the kemper to the Headrush(mono). Obviously, since my band runs IEM's, I don't use the Headrush during rehearsal.

The sound through the IEM's in thin, harsh and extremely treble heavy. Yuck!

Am I routing something incorrectly?

Is there something on the Kemper that I need to adjust?

• First thing to check, since you're using the Monitor out: the "Monitor Cab Off" option in the Output settings. It should be unselected, like in the picture:

Edited once, last by trcsooner: Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly? Since I "monitor cab off" isn't engaged... the signal that I'm hearing through the Headrush is being changed, because there is a cab simulation going through it. So, if I engage "monitor cab off", I will hear the sound of the "untarnished" profile. Then I can dial in a great sound through the Headrush and it 'should' sound at least somewhat similar through my IEM's... correct? ().

• Hi, trcsooner.

You're right. Monitor Cab Off, affects only the Monitor output(s), not the Main Outputs.

For troubleshooting and diagnostics, try running the IEM (wired, not wireless) directly from the PROFILER headphone output (nothing else in the signal chain).

You will want to check the OUTPUT options, page 6/9 and experiment with the SPACE parameter (although that shouldn't affect the problem you described). "The sound through the IEM's in thin, harsh and extremely treble heavy. Yuck!"

If you have soft button 4 (Space to Headphone only) selected, then what you hear from the headphone jack will sound different from what you get from the Main outputs.

If the headphone output sounds good, then add the IEM wireless system and listen again.

Still good? Try the Main outputs.

What do you hear now?

• I use the KZ AS10 and also find the default guitar sound rather harsh. I do a - 4.5 db shelf at 4.5 khz on my X32 monitor bus to make it sound somewhat better. But yeah, it's not breathtaking. I ask the sound guy to do the same live (in my IEM, not FOH obviously)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Okay...

I tracked down the issue.

I have a nice set of AKG Headphones. I plugged them into the Kemper and... it sounded GREAT!

Next, I plugged my KZ AS10's in and... it sounded like ass!

Then, I borrowed my bass player's Shure in-ears(Yes, I'll clean them really good lol)... and... it sounded GREAT!

Time to by some new in-ears. I'll update my wireless setup later, but for now, does anyone have a recommendation for some in-ears that sound amazing when paired with the Kemper.

I'm gonna buy a nice pair then have the 'custom' ear molds made.

Thanks!

• I think you have just found out why the KZ's cost £40 and other in ears cost £00's.

The weakness in any IEM set up is the ear buds.

You need the best you can afford, they don't need to be custom molds but very minimum dual drivers but triple will give better separation. I use Westone as they are relatively inexpensive for the quality. Shure I have found underwelming personally.

Do not get the ACS in ear monitor converters. I have molded in-ear ACS ear plugs and bough the adapters - they were awful.

• How does it sound if you use your AKG headphones with the Phenyx Pro PTM-10 (the wireless unit only)?

I'm extremely happy with my Sennheiser EW IEM G4 with IE 500 PRO (the actual in-ear monitors)

But I've also just gotten the new Sennheiser XSW  IEM for some other players, and it sounds great and performs well.

• How does it sound if you use your AKG headphones with the Phenyx Pro PTM-10 (the wireless unit only)?

I'm extremely happy with my Sennheiser EW IEM G4 with IE 500 PRO (the actual in-ear monitors)

But I've also just gotten the new Sennheiser XSW  IEM for some other players, and it sounds great and performs well.

The AKG Headphones sound great paired with the Phenyx... I'm gonna use this setup for rehearsal until I get my new IEM's.

• Agreed - I have found the KZ AS10 to sound much better to me than the Shure SE215,

I think that could be genre specific. OP are you using high gain metal sounds?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I can second what you wrote about the ACS. The driver thingy you put in the molded plugs sounds ass.. The ear plugs with the noise filter is great though.

• This is not a post intended to fall on the OP as a ton of bricks, but rather an observation and words of wonder, based on collegues and countless forum/social media posts.

Why do people buy an expensive guitar, expensive Kemper/Fractal etc, and then when it comes to the equally important thing, how they are going to hear what they are playing, buy the cheapest wireless iem system and iem they can get. It baffles me to no end.

How we hear ourself is TREMENDOUSLY important. It’s NOT a place to be saving money. Buy a cheaper lawnmover instead LOL.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Exactly. Would you go out on stage and play a 50-dollar guitar? I have "middle of the road" custom IEM's and they cost $1000. I really wish I spent a little more and got better ones but it was at the same time I bought my Kemper, rack and flight case so it was a big layout all at once. But a few hundred more and I would have the next level. It's really worth it. Spend the money now. Also, you need a stereo IEM mix and run ambient mics SL&SR pointed at the audience.

• Why do people buy an expensive guitar, expensive Kemper/Fractal etc, and then when it comes to the equally important thing, how they are going to hear what they are playing, buy the cheapest wireless iem system and iem they can get. It baffles me to no end.

Because the construction of speakers and microphones is a very simple thing. Most "cheap" speakers are "good enough" that most people cant tell the difference. When you pay $99 for an SM57 you know you are throwing ALL of that money in the garbage can because the mic itself only costs $2.57 to make. You are paying for that "sound" and hopeful that their is some good quality control.

There is no valid engineering reason someone else cant make the exact same mic and sell it for $10 and make huge profits.

Money does not equal best sound.

Now once you start adding in wireless etc, things can get a little more complicated. I agree.