Powerhead + Bass cab

• Hi,

I am looking at getting an Orange OBC115, 400 Watt 8ohm cabinet to use with my Kemper PH.

From what i can understand with Ohm rating, the 600watt PH will have no issues with the 400watt 8ohm speakers. I will be going into the FOH along with using a cabinet.

I play with a pick and mainly clean, a hint of breakup added for certain songs.

I am usually a guitarist but getting an old band project back together and getting back on the bass.

Any tips, tricks, advice for using the Kemper with a bass would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ash

• A lot depends on genre and the type of tone you are after. I am mainly a guitarist too but I did play bass in 10 piece soul band for 12 years. My rig then was an EVO500 Ashdown head and Ampeg 808HE cabinet. Since getting the Kemper I have only done one bass gig using a Power Head and the Ampeg cab. I used a factory content profile but can’t remember which one and it sounded awesome.

Basically my only advice is find a great profile that works for you and don’t over think it thereafter.

• A lot depends on genre and the type of tone you are after. I am mainly a guitarist too but I did play bass in 10 piece soul band for 12 years. My rig then was an EVO500 Ashdown head and Ampeg 808HE cabinet. Since getting the Kemper I have only done one bass gig using a Power Head and the Ampeg cab. I used a factory content profile but can’t remember which one and it sounded awesome.

Basically my only advice is find a great profile that works for you and don’t over think it thereafter.

thank you for your reply. I tend to play indie / alternative with artists such as Kasabian, Wolf Alice, Nothing But Thieves, Idles. I play with a pick and use an American P Bass.

I use an orange 2x12 for my guitar rig and it’s brilliant so would like to stay within similar areas.
    i have a knackered back so looking for something small and not too heavy which is what the OBC115 stands out for me. Just so long as the wattage difference won’t be an issue. It’ll probably never get above 1/2 volume.

• As long yo don’t really crank the power amp would think you will be fine. Keep an eye on the power output meter initially to male sure.

I’m sure some “proper” bass players will chin with some more specific recommendations regarding tone.

wwittman uses the kemper on stage for bass wwith Cyndi Lauper so it would be good to hear his input.

• As long yo don’t really crank the power amp would think you will be fine. Keep an eye on the power output meter initially to male sure.

I’m sure some “proper” bass players will chin with some more specific recommendations regarding tone.

wwittman uses the kemper on stage for bass wwith Cyndi Lauper so it would be good to hear his input.

thank you for your help today. Any bass players who can offer advice, positive comments about profiles etc would be great.

• I use the powered rack with an Ampeg 1x15 live.

But the cab is only for a bit of stage volume... the output XLR is all that goes to FOH and Monitors for their-ear mixes.

My main bit of advice is that, just like for guitar in my opinion, the best profiles are the ones you make yourself of your own amps set and mic'ed the way you like them.

I tour with profiles of a B15 set clean and warm, a B15 set growly and bright, and a Hiwatt also kind of growly.

Then each performance slot also has a drive, a chorus, and a transpose -1/2 step and transpose -1 step assigned to my remote footswitches.

• My main bit of advice is that, just like for guitar in my opinion, the best profiles are the ones you make yourself of your own amps set and mic'ed the way you like them.

Hey not heard from you in ages dude ;)

Anyway I think in general you are right but I suspect like me, many people do not know what we sound like live.

Its quite weird that I did a profile of my Laney Amp which I loved through my guitar cab but:

1) I now can't remember what the amp sounded like, I suspect I have a touch of "rose tinted" spectacles

2) The profiles sound is a sound I'd never heard before because of course I had only ever heard it directly from my Cab rather than via the PA

So bizarrely I can't decide if I like those profiles, to the point I've not used them - yes I know that sounds a bit stupid but without that engineer critical ear, I find the psychology has a bigger impact than what I'm actually hearing - does that make sense?

BUT definitely the best place to start and such a big advantage of the KPA that you can do this.

Edited once, last by V8guitar ().

• I use a powered toaster with a 2x12 Darkglass cabinet. I typically am playing in small clubs and not feeding the PA. The volumes tend to get too damn loud, but the unit keeps up quite well. I use the B15 and SVT(CLN and DRT for both) profiles with a Fender Jazz and Precision. I play finger style blues, jazz, rock, funk... Those profiles get me into the right territory for what I prefer. I'm very happy with that setup. BTW, I use and rely on the low cut and high cut filters. For me, these are mandatory for bass and guitar.