Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I seem to be going through a phase of shooting myself in the foot with these noodles. I'm hoping there's some sort of reward for sticking it out and not just an endless plateaux of suck. I suspect my pretty neanderthal brain is going "make mouth sound better ugg" which my mouth is just going "this ain't happening ohmigawsh" and somewhere in the middle my spirit is curling up to die.

• All of your stuff sounds amazing. Great writing as usual.

If you are talking about improving your vocals:

- Brush your teeth before you play to clear any flem etc from the back of your throat.

- Warm up a little with some soft scatting.

- Belt that shit out!!! It sounds like you are trying to be too quiet in this song. You wont get a great vocal sound unless you are pushing enough air to squeeze thru the gunk on your neck and make them chords vibrate!

I used to live around people and had thin walls so I always sang quietly and it sounded just like this song....Now I live in the woods and can scream my head off and the vocals improved drastically. You gotta make some noise for vocals to work.

Funny story I have recorded friends singing and they all sing quietly because it is very embarrassing. Then one day this little girl came over to do a song. She pulled up to the mike and started wailing. Song done in one take. This 6th grader had major balls. No worries.

HER: "When do I sing? Oh here.. on a 4 count... ok....WAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH"

ME: <Jaw on the floor> "Yep, that should do it. Wow. I really need to up my game."

I still try to live up to her guts when singing 8o

• Hey thanks RosboneMako ! Great story and those are excellent tips, you nailed it on the thin walls and holding back, definitely moving back into the countryside is on the todo list when I can finally afford to.

Thank you for the compliment, I think my writing is pretty weak and limited tbh. I’m not yet producing the kind of music I would want to listen to and I’m not sure how to get there. Obviously I won’t if I don’t keep trying, so practice it is! It may be that I need to start partnering up with other people to bring in the element of surprise and delight.

• Good one Per. Indeed RosboneMako 's tips are golden I'd say. Good stuff from both of you!

That tune reminds me of a mixture of some beatlesque Porcupine Tree and other stuff. A bit undecided here and there what probably creates your picture of "shooting yourself in the foot"...

It may be that I need to start partnering up with other people to bring in the element of surprise and delight.

This for sure. The interaction and inspiration is soooooooo beneficial. I just love it when the folks challenge your ideas and vice versa. And any type of collaboration can do - even virtual in these times :thumbup:8)

• Thanks deadman42 !

The journey is more and more treacherous for sure. Just as within art it’s easy to get a response with a few tricks, right now within music it feels like I’m drowning in a sea of affectation that I’m using to cover up deficiencies. Much like when Monkey_Man gently guided me away from Ozone towards minimal master bus compression, I hope to shed as much of this as possible while still retaining some of me.

• I love your experiments & creativity, I also understand how rewarding it is to espace our brains from our daily IT work by grabbing a guitar & singing when the mood comes in. I love hearing others's tracks.

TBH I just started to take some singing lessons with a pro, I think it's very good at some point to take some help and work your voice out , benefice is huge and permanent.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ok, finally my brain wanted to make something poppy. See I can do other things than depressed sounding prog rock!

• Thanks Monkey_Man ! I don’t know how I’ll feel tomorrow but right now despite the flaws in playing, singing, mixing and mastering I finally feel like I made something in the rough territory of what I’d want to listen to.

• Excellent production Per, this is 100% radio prime time material lol. Good stuff man, remember us when you hit #1 :)

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

More of a sort of sound design experiment than a traditional music track in this one. The sort of thing I'd put in those in-between filler tracks on an album to create a mood.