Multiwatt support for PowerHeads

• I have a simple setup

• Kemper Kabinet Unpowered to Kemper PowerHead via Speaker Output
    • Kemper Kabinet Powered to Kemper PowerHead via Direct Output
    • Reference monitors connect to my DAC and DAC to S/PDIF out

The problem:
    Cannot balance Kabinets (Powered/Unpowered) in stereo mode.

Attempts:

• If disable "Stereo Mode" option, then the volume for Monitor Out and Direct Out can be adjusted independently and achieve the desired balance, the problem with this approach is that then sound coloring from the Kabinet to right one do not match. Stereo Mode applies Cabinet Imprints, Bass Boost coloring to both sides. ;(
    • "Panarama" knob from Rig settings can help to balance left/right keeping the "Stereo Mode". I can balance by setting that to something near +3.5, +4.0 but that unbalances my Studio Speakers :cursing:
    • Add a power attenuator to Speaker Out of Kemper. <X This is a bit silly. But sounds like the only viable option.
  • what happens if you set the Powered Kabinet volume to max and control everything with the power amp volume? i Image the 600w amp in the KPA will be louder than the 200w amp in the powered Kabinet. This could possibly be compensated for by reducing the Power Amp Boost in the output menu. I’m only thinking out loud as I don’t have a Powered Kabinet (just run a Powered Toaster into a Passive Kabinet) but its worth a try.

• Yeah, I forgot to mention. Kemper Power Kabinet volume is already at max but it cannot keep up with Unpowered Kabinet.

I am want to achieve the balance at low volumes both 200w and 600w are more than enough for me.

I believe this can be done by software rather than adding an attenuator.

• Have you tried lowering the Power Amp Boost in the Output Menu? I think this should do the job nicely.

EDIT - Sorry, I have just tried to simulate a test of this with my own setup but it looks like when Stereo is activated the Power Amp Boost also affects the Direct Out/Send which would be going to the Powered Kabinet. This does seem a little strange and is certainly something that I could see causing problems just as you describe.

• Yeah, controlling Direct Out by Power Boost is like a problematic unwanted feature.

Wish that feature could be removed then I would be all set.

• Did you enable Monitor Stereo like this from the manual...

Unpowered Kabinet connected to SPEAKER OUTPUT via speaker cable and powered Kabinet connected to DIRECT OUTPUT via instrument cable.

Make sure to connect the KEMPER Power Kabinet to the DIRECT OUT (not to the MONITOR OUTPUT) and enable Monitor Stereo in the Output Section.

It seems counter-intuitive since you don't use Monitor Output but have to enable stereo on it with the stereo Kab setup. ??

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The PROFILER does an automatic level adjustment for this mixed application.

If it is a powered PROFILER, the power amp is activated and "Monitor Stereo" plus "Kemper Kone Mode" are activated, we can assume that an unpowered KEMPER Kabinet is connected to the SPEAKER OUT and a powered KEMPER Kabinet is connected to the DIRECT OUT. There is no other meaningful application for this setup. In that case the signal at the SPEAKER OUT is lowered to match the level of the Power Kabinet. The level knob at the Power Kabinet needs to be set to full throttle.