Tips for EQ'ing through an FRFR - there are so many EQ options

• I've got tones I am absolutely in love with through my headphones (BD DT 880). But I've been struggling to replicate that going through speakers. Have tried the Kabinet, have tried cab sim off and going through guitar 1x12. Now trying, and having better luck, through an Atomic CRL FRFR. My main issue has been that the tone through the speakers often has way too much treble, but it is more complex than that: if I turn the output treble/presence down, I lose some of the edge of breakup goodness & sweetness.

But my question is if anyone has any tips for EQ'ing in general - there are so many different options I'm getting a little bit of analysis paralysis:

• The amp EQ module
    • The cabinet module (High Shift, Low Shift, Character, Pure Cabinet)
    • The output section
      • Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence
      • Low Cut, High Cut
      • Pure Cabinet
      • Bass boost

That is a LOT of different place to tweak EQ.

I'm guessing everyone will say to leave the amp EQ and cabinet alone if I'm liking the tone through headphones.

But even in the output section, there are a lot of different choices: should I tweak bass by: Bass, Low Cut, Bass boost? Treble by Treble, Presence, High Cut?

I know the answer is just "flip the knobs until you find something you like." But just wondering if there are any best practices or tips?

• Lower the treble and presence in the output section with about 1,5db.

Then, if you need more, set the high cut to somewhere between 7,5 and 6,5.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Same setup here and I get good results setting the Hi-pass at 6400Hz and the Low-pass at 120 Hz. I also raise the CLR about 30cm from the floor

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Same setup here and I get good results setting the Hi-pass at 6400Hz and the Low-pass at 120 Hz. I also raise the CLR about 30cm from the floor

I seriously doubt that :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• ...Why? Here translates very well...

Just pulling your leg. You've got the filters swapped around in your description :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

But my question is if anyone has any tips for EQ'ing in general - there are so many different options I'm getting a little bit of analysis paralysis:

• The amp EQ module
    • The cabinet module (High Shift, Low Shift, Character, Pure Cabinet)
    • The output section
      • Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence
      • Low Cut, High Cut
      • Pure Cabinet
      • Bass boost

That is a LOT of different place to tweak EQ.

I only use guitar cabs and I use quite a few of them. Some profiles simply have too much high end for me. This is especially true of gainier profiles like most Marshalls for instance. I don't use metal rigs so I am not speaking about that level of gain. So, I focus on low gain, clean rigs up through the type of gain needed for 60s - 70s rock. I always use the low cut at about 200Hz and high cut at about 7.5kHz. I run the B,M,T,P flat in the output section because I want some clean sparkle. I sometimes will adjust the rig treble and presence down for some higher gain profiles, but if that 'kills' the profile then I find a better profile. Definition is also where I will adjust, but that is mainly to compensate for single coils vs humbuckers. I have found many higher gain rigs, again no metal type gain, have too much high frequency rasp that I don't enjoy. I agree, there are a lot of places to tweak. Pure cab is set and forget for me. I don't use bass boost. I low cut to leave room for kick and bass anyway. Cab section is irrelevant in this case.

• I have found a pretty good EQ setting that sets my guitar sound from Studio Monitors, to Studio Headphones, to my Reference Speakers pretty equally tonewise. This setting works on most of my fav profiles. I have mine set up in DAW but you can translate it to a Kemper EQ preset. I boost at 200, 2k, and 5k only with a large Q of about 0.7. The only Cuts I make with that setting is on the post amp effects High Cut (from 3k to 5.2 usually).

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Well damn - this is as good as I've gotten my Kemper to sound, outside of headphones.

• Output: -1.5 treble
    • Output: -3.0 presence
    • Output: High Cut 6.5kHz

I played around with lowering Presence less & doing more High Cut or Treble cut, but my ears were preferring the settings above.

This is as close as I've gotten to the sound in my headphones yet - thanks all!

• I'm glad you are finding something closer to what you would like. That's cool.

The main issue that I generally encounter is how the higher frequencies behave. IME, it is time to find better profiles if settings in the range that you list don't resolve things.