Profiling an Axefx model

• Anyone try to profile an amp running on the AxeFx III? Can you reproduce the axefx on the kemper by profiling it?

• I don't see any added value or point in this, profiling a modeller is like making a copy of a replica.

This is closed minded. The Kemper will give you all kinds of adjustment on the Axe profiles. Since it is not an exact copy you will get the distortion profile and a freq curve baked into the cab. Then you can use this amp with other cabs. Use the new cabs with other profiles. All kinds of options.

Why not make something new and exciting?

Why limit yourself to a profile someone else did? Was it done well? Correct mics etc? The gain you like? EQ'ed how you like?

Why even own the Kemper, profiling is half of the fun? Put an EQ in before the Axe and boost the mids where you want them, then profile it.

I thought for sure when I bought the Kemper I would be using all these great profiles on the RE etc. No, I use the ones I made on my old modellers 90% of the time.

Half of the profiles in the RE are much better with a new CAB because they have amateur mic placement, etc. You can do some super clean Axe profiles and EQ after the amp/Axe to get some decent sounding CABs that work for you. Then put them in a folder in RM and cycle thru them with your favorite amps until you get the magic combo.

You own the stuff, why not use it? I bet you could make some crazy profile and call it something traditional and post it and no one would be able to tell the difference.

• Maybe it depends on what you want from a Kemper. I expect the most accurate reproduction of an existing sound. That's why I bought the Kemper to replace exactly several amps. Not more not less.
    If I wanted to tinker with sounds, I would choose a modeller (Fractal FX III).
    Two fundamentally different views.

Be the force with you ;)

• I have a Kemper, and love it. More curiosity than anything else. Would be a cool retort to someone saying the amps sounded better on axe. :)

• I have a Kemper, and love it. More curiosity than anything else. Would be a cool retort to someone saying the amps sounded better on axe. :)

I have done a bunch of Line 6 stuff and had varying results. Recently started doing a Peavey Vypyr 30 and I am very happy with the PLEXI model, The Twin and Deluxe models also came across amazing. Super clean and chimey.

A lot of it comes down to the CAB. The cabs in the Line 6 stuff were always bad. So they do not profile amazing as you would imagine.

The Peavey has a Line Out and the cabs come across pretty well. But like the Line 6 stuff, they lack a little low end for my taste. I added an EQ after the Vypyr and have made about 150 different sounding cabs. And will probably make about 50 more at least :wacko:

From the 500 or so profiles I have made it seems like the CAB/IR is always the limiting factor. Would be nice for a Kemper update to be able to use two cabs within the same profile. The real amps seem to have a couple different levels and feel when you play. I cant seem to get with the Kemper. It sounds like its dynamic range is being limited by the CAB.

• So, sounds like you'd be able to easily tell the difference between a Kemper profile of an axe fx model, and an actual Axe fx model. Sounds like a loss,of dynamics.

• So, sounds like you'd be able to easily tell the difference between a Kemper profile of an axe fx model, and an actual Axe fx model. Sounds like a loss,of dynamics.

Tube amps are the references that matter ;)

The results from PROFILING modeled amps can sometimes be underwhelming. The reason for this is that some emulations use techniques that don’t necessarily match the analog reality.

• Tube amps are the references that matter ;)

I would agree to this statement.

Here is my crazy "too long didnt read" idea of what the Kemper does:

The Kemper was designed to copy all of the great amps of the world. So I look at Profiles as single mathematical model of a great tube amp. But this great model can take on the sounds(Gain, Freq) and articulation (Cab, IR) of any amp and microphone combination.

Do not think of the Kemper as a digital copy. It will be its own thing. Will it sound like the original. Yes, if the original sounds like a tube amp.

Since the baseline of a profile is a model of a tube amp. Profiling pedals and modellers does not always translate. The may have weird non linear dynamics going on that do not translate to a tube amp model. Some devices also have time related things happening that will not translate in a profiling process.

The Kemper will sort thru the gain stages of the amp, copy the frequency response, and create an IR (CAB). These 3 things are the fingerprint/DNA of a tube amp. So if the device your are profiling reacts like an amplifier, the Kemper will do a great job of translating it into Kemper world.

And once it is in the Kemper, you can adjust the CLARITY, SAG, DIRECT MIX, ETC to take it to even better places than the original. So you will make a copy of a certain amp then be able to adjust it even further in the Kemper.

My argument:

Profiling anything may result in complete trash. Or it may create some amazing sound of an amp that does not even exist. Why would you not try?

Are you going to wait 10 years for someone to build the latest Dumble then profile it, when you could have had that sound 10 years earlier if you were not a tube amp snob guy? The greatest amp sound ever made is out there waiting to be discovered by someone profiling random stuff. This to me is the greatest achievement of the Kemper. Not what it is doing now but what is possible.

Buy an Axe or helix and you are done. You can only make it do what it can do. In theory, the Kemper can do things tomorrow it cant do today. If I realized this 10 years ago I would have bought a Kemper the minute it came out.