SPDIF sounds very different to Mic input through my interface, am i doing something wrong?

• Hi,
    I am running the KPA from the SPDIF out to audio interface (Focusrite Liquid 56) SPDIF in and running the Main output (KPA) to the Mic input of the audio interface.
    I know that the Mic preamp from the Audio interfaces Mic input will effect the sound that i am hearing, but there seems to be a big difference.
    The Mic input sound is more rounded smooth with a little dullnuss.
    The SPDIF input sound is open bright and brittle sounding, am i missing a setting on the KPA for the SPDIF out? (i have checked all my levels no spiking on the KPA or Audio interface)

Obviously everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good and i should just use what sounds good to me. But i have read it is recommended to use the SPDIF for recording as it is the cleanest way.
    Has anyone else experienced the sound difference between the SPDIF and the Mic input of there interface?
    Or can anyone recommend the best way to setup recording from the KPA?

This is my first ever post on any forum, so please let me know if i have not been clear in my explaination or if i have not written this in forum context or posted in it the correct thread.

Many thanks to all who have taken time to read this and reply.

• I have solved the problem, it was me being a numpty. I did not set the Sample rate to 44100, i had it at 96000. now everything sounds right. Only thing is now my latency is at 8.0ms instead of 4.6ms.

Right now back to choosing the profile i like :D i think i will be here a while.

Thanks