Per collection thread

• Per

What are you using for your vocal mic?

A second generation Vanguard V13, they’re a local manufacturer so they have them in the stores here, a bit expensive but I got bitten by the bug of wanting to experiment and see what a tube mic was like after reading Geoff Emerick extol their virtues and this was about as cheap as they come. So far I’ve been very happy with the results on my voice although I’ve no idea how it would compare to other tube mics, I read a lot of glowing reviews though and I gather it’s meant to be more of a colored sound like a vintage mic. The sound on this track for the non oohs and aahs is raw except for some reverb, no compression etc, so that’s what you get out of the thing. I have a bit of foam behind it to help limit reflection but the room is literally an untreated space with a tile floor, so far from ideal.

• Per

A second generation Vanguard V13, they’re a local manufacturer so they have them in the stores here, a bit expensive but I got bitten by the bug of wanting to experiment and see what a tube mic was like after reading Geoff Emerick extol their virtues and this was about as cheap as they come. So far I’ve been very happy with the results on my voice although I’ve no idea how it would compare to other tube mics, I read a lot of glowing reviews though and I gather it’s meant to be more of a colored sound like a vintage mic. The sound on this track for the non oohs and aahs is raw except for some reverb, no compression etc, so that’s what you get out of the thing. I have a bit of foam behind it to help limit reflection but the room is literally an untreated space with a tile floor, so far from ideal.

To my ear, that Vanguard V13 is worth every penny for your voice.

• Thanks, I agree, it’s a very flattering a sound for voice. Gives me enough confidence to at least try, and the hope there is with enough practice I might eventually get out of painfully awkward to listen to and move up to below average but doesn’t get in the way of the song.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Gotta post this quick, thunderstorm coming in.

• Yup BayouTexan , spoiling fun with electronics by making it dangerous! I had plans for a heavy noize section in there maybe at the end of the chorus which would have added some much needed textural change but such is the way of things.

• Hi Per,

again an interesting one with piano and voice

and it could have been a little longer ;)

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.