what's you're favourite DAW?

• Reaper can be made to look like any other DAW as well, if you are after a certain look and flow. There is little it can not do if you take the time to get it sorted as you desire.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

• When you're on Mac Logic Pro X is the best bang for the buck by far, period.

It's been introduced July 2013 and has been updated ever since FOR FREE (and this will likely be the case in the foreseeable future as well).

No other DAW gives you this feature set at that price.

It's been introduced July 2013 and has been updated ever since FOR FREE (and this will likely be the case in the foreseeable future as well).

This

Obviously you haven't tried Reaper. A license is cheaper, and they roll out free upgrades/updates all the time.

• Obviously you haven't tried Reaper. A license is cheaper, and they roll out free upgrades/updates all the time.

maybe but logic got some really high end plugins and virtual instruments.
    it’s not just a daw it’s a really complete package with the best price/quality ratio.

Not here to be a fanboy but apple made a lot of investment in logic and that shows.

• I think you should look at as many DAWs you can get your hands on. I started recording back in the late 90's and went digital in '02. I'm old and fortunate enough to afford any computer or recording software, I use Reaper. I use it because it is all I need. My main focus is the music and capturing the sound as opposed to capturing sound and try to make music with it. I spend about 10K a year on guitars and equipment. I got a used Kemper Stage around Feb. this year. I make the Kemper sound right (to me of course) and record that. I don't need all the digital bells and whistles that costly software provides. just my 2cents...

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Oh I did, and I even held a license for a few years. But you cannot seriously compare Reaper’s feature set with Logic's.

OK, well I am no power user for sure, but perhaps you can provide us with your list of features that Logic has and Reaper does not? Again, I am not an expert, but I've certainly never heard anyone on any other forum make this claim.

• Reaper! It's cheap and effective, and it does everything any other DAW does. It might just take you a few additional clicks to do but that's what templates are for.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• OK, well I am no power user for sure, but perhaps you can provide us with your list of features that Logic has and Reaper does not? Again, I am not an expert, but I've certainly never heard anyone on any other forum make this claim.

With superior feature set I mean the plethora of very high quality FX and instruments that are components of Logic Pro X. You can easily read this up in the Logic Pro descriptions online. AFAIK Reaper doesn't come with any instruments, only FX.

Plus the fact that Logic Pro X is 199.- and gets updated literally forever (I got it in 2013) whereas a discounted license of Reaper is 60.- and is valid only till the x.99 version of the following version e.g. (5.0-6.9x) then you need to re-buy. Admittedly this makes Reaper a great bang für the buck, but in the end to me Logic Pro is a greater bang! ;)

• I found this. As a guitarist, for what I use a DAW for, I don't need instruments. Anyhoo, your mileage may vary.

"When comparing Logic Pro X vs Reaper, the Slant community recommends Reaper for most people. In the question“What are the best DAWs? ” Reaper is ranked 1st while Logic Pro X is ranked 9th. "

"Reaper's developers add features based on user request at lightspeed. This is what makes Reaper reliable and trustworthy. Fans of Reaper are so adamant about the software because of this.

Contrary to Music Radar's review of FL Studio, Reaper is the true "People's DAW"."

(I have logic and it crashed quite frequently)

Logic vs. Reaper

• Well, the original question was "what's your favorite DAW" which in the end will remain a completely subjective assessment.

And the side discussion was the "bang für the buck" one which I think Logic Pro wins by far although Reaper is great. Only because you don't have any need for instruments many composers do. It's a far more complete package (therefore bang for the buck) which is only rivaled by Cubase (which is far more expensive though).

The Slant rating frankly does nothing to me and I don't understand what you want to tell me by this (Am I to be impressed by the voting of people whose experience level I don't even know? Perhaps they are noobs? Reading through the "cons" on the slant rating stating that Logic is buggy just makes me laugh... :) )

Apart from Protools nowadays Logic Pro seems to be used everywhere, (surely because it's buggy ;) ).

And having used Logic since version 9 (before X even) I can firmly say that the only time it ever crashed was due to a bad 3rd party plugin.

but this wasn't the discussion here.

Interesting how people get defensive over software. ;)

• How do you mean Reaper does not have any Instruments? I have all kinds of drums, bass, horns, strings, keys, and synths loaded with mine. :/

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• How do you mean Reaper does not have any Instruments? I have all kinds of drums, bass, horns, strings, keys, and synths loaded with mine. :/

If my statement was wrong I apologize.
    When I was using Reaper (Years ago) there were no instruments included.

And according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAPER

this hasn’t changed.

Are your instruments included or 3rd party?

• I was using logic 9,but when I upgraded my computer to sierra,logic 9 was not longer working.

I was so pissed off about that,that I didn't want to upgrade to X.

Now I have a windows computer whith working memory of 32Gb and a ssd with 1Tb.

When you want that in Apple,than you first have to sell you're car.

Btw I'am trying reaper now and I like it a lot.

• Interesting how people get defensive over software. ;)

I understand how my surprise could be taken as being defensive. On the other hand, you've been around long enough that I do respect your opinion so it was... sort of a shock as it was definitely the strongest I have heard in this regard - strongly in favor of one over the other. So, of course I had to question it because that's how you find the people who really know what the f--- they are talking about - most of the time, they can support their stance with more than just rhetoric to support their opinion.

Most of the time. ;)

• I understand how my surprise could be taken as being defensive. On the other hand, you've been around long enough that I do respect your opinion so it was... sort of a shock as it was definitely the strongest I have heard in this regard - strongly in favor of one over the other. So, of course I had to question it because that's how you find the people who really know what the f--- they are talking about - most of the time, they can support their stance with more than just rhetoric to support their opinion.

Most of the time. ;)

Well, I thought I made my point clear without being rhetorical.

Reaper: well coded and therefore not bloated DAW that also supplies basic meat & potatoes plug-ins, very competitive price tag.

Logic: an all-inclusive DAW with a lot of first class plugins & instruments (even legendary think EXS24 sampler, Logic Drummer has no equivalent in any other DAW), still not bloated at all. Also very competitive price tag.

Therefore I still stand by my assessment: For Mac users Logic Pro is not only the best bang for the buck, it's a no-brainer even.

Now let’s empty a glass of xxx and drink to our friendship and enjoy the weekend.

🥃

Cheers!

• I just went down this long road in the fall of last year. Here is my take on this.

I have been a Pro Tools user. They upped the price on it to where it was costing me $200 per year for the license. To me that is too much money to spend every year when I don't make any money doing this. That caused me to start looking. I have both Mac and PC machines so I wanted something that I could run on both, like I could with Pro Tools.

I run my stuff on a Macbook Pro. I purchased Logic Pro X. It is pretty good and has a ton of good stuff in it for plugins and capability. If you run on a Mac, I would definitely take a good hard look at this. All future updates are free once you purchase it. The down side is it only runs on Mac.

I would highly recommend if you are on Windows to download Cakewalk and give that a try. It is free. I installed it but have not made it back to it to test it out. On paper it looks like it should do what most of us need from a DAW and it is FREE.

I used Reaper years ago when it was free. I liked it enough to take a look at it again. It will run on either system and is like $60. That is a one time registration and it provides a license for more than one computer. I have it installed on both my Mac and Windows machines. One thing that I see people complain about with this DAW is the limited plugins it has. There is a freeware plugin stack that you can get for it. I have not tried that yet. However, for the price of admission it is definitely worth picking it up and giving it a try.

I ended up buying Cubase on a crossgrade license discount to replace Pro Tools. So far it does everything I need and it runs on both systems. This is a lot higher price of admission and I am betting either Cakewalk or Reaper will do what you need.