Kemper Kone with a Combo Amp

• I have a Rivera combo amp with a Celestion G12T-85.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Kemper Kone which apparently could be used as a replacement speaker.

However, I don't get how I would be able to utilize its capabilities i.e. being able to use any one of the I think 19 speaker imprints.

Would I just inline my non powered Kemper profiler into the effects loop and I believe turn off the monitor cab function ?

Also the Rivera has a second speaker out would it be then possible to expand my setup by hooking up a Kemper Kabinet to the second speaker slot ?

recap, use a Kemper Kone for the original Celestion speaker and also extend the combo amp via hooking up a Kemper Kabinet to the second speaker output on the combo amp with the Kemper effectively an "effect" within the effects loop of the Rivera.

BTW, the Rivera has an impendence switch which allows for 4 or 8 or 16 ohms.

Does this make sense ?

Is this the way ?

Is there a better way ?

thanks for the help.

-Charles

• You could replace the Celestion with a Kone but then you could only use the Rivera as a power amp for the Kemper. You would no longer be able to use the Rivera as a regular combo. A better option would be to buy an unpowered Kabinet or a Kone (and make your own cabinet). An even better option would be to buy a Powered Kabinet.

Leave the Rivera alone and enjoy it for what it is. Or sell it to cover the cost of a power Kabinet if money is an issue.

• The "better" way for me is to keep things simple...a multiple speaker set up using a combo power amp isn't :).

The way the Kone works is it has a specific audio config that allows you to use imprints to emulate different speakers. The problem with most set ups is Guitar cabs add a lot of specific sound colour and therefore limits some of the advantages of the KPA in being able to change speaker types/sound. FRFR does aloow those variations BUT often does not give the "feeling" of the "amp in the room" sound.

The Kones, along with imprints bridge that gap. The imprints if used with a regular speaker will give imprecise results ( as opposed to "bad" as a "bad" sound is subjective.

So will what you are suggesting work? Possibly, but you will be sending the imprint signal to the combo speaker which is likely not to sound great. It will definately sound very different to the Kone.

On a side issue, using the combo itself will introduce colour to the sound, adding to the unpredictability. You are better off using a dedicated SS amp into the kone.

Better still, just get a powered Kabinet.

• well I was actually thinking of selling the Rivera so that I could finance a powered Kabinet, but then I got "attachment" remorse :),

Also it seems to me that amps are just harder to eBay :) , its really heavy , the shipping costs must be crazy.

My other thought was to drive an un-powered Kabinet currently available at Sweetwater with my Samson servo 120A which would allow me to eventually have a stereo setup with the profiler

but thanks this was useful, it saved me time and potentially a bad move had I not stopped to ask you all that know better

• well I was actually thinking of selling the Rivera so that I could finance a powered Kabinet, but then I got "attachment" remorse :),

Also it seems to me that amps are just harder to eBay :) , its really heavy , the shipping costs must be crazy.

make plenty of profiles of the Rivera then you will effectively still have it 😄

My other thought was to drive an un-powered Kabinet currently available at Sweetwater with my Samson servo 120A which would allow me to eventually have a stereo setup with the profiler

That should work OK

• Also it seems to me that amps are just harder to eBay :) , its really heavy , the shipping costs must be crazy.

Which is exactly why I sold all of my gigging amps local pickup when I saw what the Kemper can do. I was a huge tube snob and still like the idea of a tube amp, but have no regrets other than I wish I could have bought a Kemper long ago. I doubt you'll miss the Rivera. I actually think the Kemper is more musical than many tube amps are.

• I have never regretted selling my ENGL even though I loved it. I kept my Laney but only used it once in 8 years since I had the Kemper.

......but its difficult to let go of something that you like, hence why I have 23 guitars :)

• I agree with the idea of a Kab and a stereo power amp, adding a second Kab for stereo if you need. This is a great setup for when there's no PA and you have significant stereo effects in your sound.